Coffeehouse Post

Single Post Permalink

View Thread: Automatic Updates Service not working... I am out of ideas
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

pacelvi wrote:

Shining Arcanine wrote:My computer's Automatic Updates Service is not starting with windows and upon trying to manually start it I get the following error message:

"Could not start the Automatic Updates service on Local Computer.

Error 0x8024d007: 0x8024d007"

I have tried registering dlls, reinstalling COM+, replacing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost with a key from a machine where Automatic Updates are working, etcetera. Nothing I have done so far has worked. Any ideas?

By the way, I have no clue how this started because I normally leave updating to Automatic Updates but then yesterday when I went to manually run Windows Update, it did not work. Apparently, you need the Automatic Updates service running for Windows Update to work.

Are you on Active Directory?  Did Group Policy redirect where Auto-Update looks for tis udpates?

No, I am not on Active Directory. This is a Media Center 2005 Edition PC and the Automatic Update service is not starting.

Manip wrote:
    You MUST follow these instructions exactly in order otherwise you'll mess up your Windows Update System

1. Close Internet Explorer
    2. Delete the WebSetup folder at C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution
    3. Visit Windows Update, Click "Express"
    4. Check that the WebSetup folder has been restored 
    5. Close Internet Explorer
    6. Stop the Automatic Updates Service  (Do NOT disable it!)
    7. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 (Different on 64 bit Editions)
    8. Locate wuaueng.dll within the i386 folder, copy it
    9. Paste wuaueng.dll to c:\windows\system32\dllcache (Overwrite)
    10. Delete wuaueng.dll within C:\Windows\System32 (Windows will restore it almost instantly, no problem --)
    11. Start the Automatic Updates Service [Again]
    12. Visit the Windows Update site
    13. Download the "Newer Version"
    14. Test it...

The Automatic Updates service will not run. When I try to start it manually, it quits giving me that error message I posted earlier every time I start it. The description of the Automatic Updates service says:

"Enables the download and installation of Windows updates. If this service is disabled, this computer will not be able to use the Automatic Updates feature or the Windows Update Web site."

Needless to say, I cannot visit Windows Update to click "Express." I tried anyway but it was to no avail. The only means I have of keeping my PC up to date is by downloading patches individually, which is hardly optimal.

Here is the error Windows Update is giving me:

"
    [Error number: 0x8007041D]
    See which updates failed to install The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

For self-help options:

For assisted support options:

"

Prior to that, it says:

"Get the latest Windows Update software.

We've made improvements to our website. To download the new version of the software and begin using Windows Update, please click Install Now.
    "