Channel 9 is NOT dead (from Scoble)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • AndyC

blowdart wrote:
    Out of interest who said it was dead?

HellSnoopy did.

• blowdart

AndyC wrote:

blowdart wrote:Out of interest who said it was dead?

HellSnoopy did.

fair enough. stupid thing to say obviously, and heck, if this was a surprise to anyone i have some swamp land i'd like to sell you

• erik_

Good luck Scoble, thanks for all the videos =)

You probaly can't wait to start the new adventure, sometimes it is time for a change to keep things fresh and fun.

Your blog probaly has massive vistors now, with all the news posts Smiley

• Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Goodbye Robert! Hope things go well in your new job...(why are you bolting right before Vista ships?)

• Cornelius Ellsonpeter

nanite wrote:

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote: Goodbye Robert! Hope things go well in your new job...(why are you bolting right before Vista ships?)

Why do rats bail on a sinking ship?
    Because somebody moved their cheese? Perplexed

I wonder if they are passing that book out around Microsoft yet ("Who Moved My Cheese?"). They usually do that right before a mass layoff in many corporations.

• Charles

jaylittle wrote:
    Channel 9 isn't dead huh?  Could've fooled me guys.  There are so many f*cking trolls sh*tting all over the place nowadays that it is really get hard to seperate the signal from the noise.  I know you've left now Scoble, so congrats on your new position.  However when it comes to the rest of the C9 MS employees here, get off your rears and start cleaning this place up.  All it takes is the appointment of a few community members to act as mods since you are all either too busy or just plain unwilling to do the job.  That alone would go a long way towards reassuring the community here.

Frankly given all of the BS generated by the trolls here, I'm seriously considering dropping C9 altogether at this point.  It's tiresome to come to a place for refreshing technical conversation only to have to wade through the droppings of Blatzcoder, ChrisA, VistaWillShip and VistaWillSlip in every single thread. 

If you can't understand why that's problem, or why you should have to spend more time moderating content here, I urge you to put the responsibility into the hands of the community.  Since you seem so unwilling to set or enforce any standards yet the community is practically screaming for some, let us deal with it.

You can expect changes in moderation on Channel 9. Please stay tuned. It's not as easy of a problem as you make it out to be. I think we'll implement a slashdot-style community moderation system, but we'll see.
    C

• Rossj

Charles wrote:

You can expect changes in moderation on Channel 9. Please stay tuned. It's not as easy of a problem as you make it out to be. I think we'll implement a slashdot-style community moderation system, but we'll see.
    C

Welcome back Chazz, you'll be needing another holiday fairly soon, but welcome back for now Smiley

• j0217995

I want all trolls dumped, people who troll for both Microsoft products and post FUD and also those that are Linux trolls should be dumped.  That means it incldues you vistawillship

• Maurits

In totally unrelated news, it was a full moon yesterday.

• Maurits

vistawillship's profile wrote:
    I am a staunch supporter of Microsoft products. I will not install anything produced by a competitor on my system, even if it means my productivity is reduced. Viva la Vista!

Wow.

• Cairo

vistawillship's profile wrote:I am a staunch supporter of Microsoft products. I will not install anything produced by a competitor on my system, even if it means my productivity is reduced. Viva la Vista!

"Close-minded zealot'

• AdamKinney

What about .Net based OSS?

http://www.rssbandit.org/

• Minh

AdamKinney wrote:
    What about .Net based OSS?

http://www.rssbandit.org/
    Doesn't work on Vista. Smiley

• AdamKinney

Doesn't work yet on Vista. Wink

But that's a good point, was not aware of that.

• BryanF

Charles wrote:
    You can expect changes in moderation on Channel 9. Please stay tuned. It's not as easy of a problem as you make it out to be. I think we'll implement a slashdot-style community moderation system, but we'll see. C
    I appreciate the need for some sort moderation system, please don't simply drop slashdot's into C9. I have two main problems with slashdot.

First, the idea of reading at various theshholds makes discussions much less coherent. I've found it difficult to find a level that doesn't Angel filter out large gaps of the conversation, or (b) let in too many trolls. Part of this may be due to the bias towards nested threads, but the bottom line is that slashdot disscusions have always painful to read, even when the threshold is set to a "proper" level.

Second, and perhaps more important, is I can't stand the cliquishness. Between the +4s, the +5s and all the other strata, it feels like slashdot is inhabited by a gaggle of pimply-faced sneetches. The system ends up being used as a popularity evaluation rather than a way to filter out blantant trolls. People tend to vote up the comments they agree with and then filter to that level, creating a sort of groupthink which is just as aggravating as trolling.

Ideally, rather than creating some sort of scale from -1..+5, posts should be evaluated on a simple heuristic basic; i.e., "Is this post a troll? yes or no." Depending on the answer, the mod system would add either -1 for "yes" or +1 for "no". The accumalated result would in turn would be averaged by the number of votes. Any values below 0 are considered trolls and filtered out by default and value equal or greater than 0 are shown. Also, there should be some way to grow a reputation over time, so members face consequences (positive or negative) for their behavior.

Anyways, I'm just throwing ideas out there. I'm sure there will be some sort of discussion as this is all fleshed out.

(Welcome back, BTW. Hope the vacation was relaxing. Smiley)

• erik_

Maby it isn't a bad thing to sit down with the team and do a video (meeting) about:

What's gonna happen and when? To give all the visitors of channel9 some more information (if possible). So they know, instead of guessing wild.

A team member is leaving, this cannot mean no change. Either a new person comes or goals can't be met. I assume that if devs are busy doing video interviews they are unable to work on the new x that comes soon... Did robert make enough videos to continue to dev on the site for a while, without interuption, etc. To fill the gap when there is one team member missing, he is probaly not gone yet, but its all gueswork to us.

Just telling "soon" there will be a new site isn't working. "soon"  will be ... etc. that means waiting for something unknow at an unknow time.

And all this stuff isn't really much fun, people get pissed and want to leave, trolling is all over the place, etc. Channel9 will not die without scoble, but without good communication it will.

• Charles

nanite wrote:

erik_ wrote:
    And all this stuff isn't really much fun, people get pissed and want to leave, trolling is all over the place, etc. Channel9 will not die without scoble, but without good communication it will.

You seem to think that Charles will actually be getting out there and videoing people...   Videos are dead, Charles is just around to threaten bans.

I'll continue to do interviews just as I always have... And, ban I will. 

• julianbenja​min

blatzcoder wrote:

Personally, I was getting tired of jaylittle, julianbenjamin, and PaoloM. But now that PaoloM is on the inside, maybe I should be nice.

poor baby..  mommy didn't make you feel better when you had your a$$ handed to you?  no extra cookies?  no bedtime story that night?  poor, poor baby.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.