Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Does Opera Matter?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Keskos

    I was designing my page and realized that opera 7 has lots of floating related bugs and doesn't render pages properly that has nested floating . My page works both in IE and Firefox.

    I know some "standards" "experts" think they figured it out all claiming that opera is standard complaint and works perfect, whereas in fact opera has very serious css bugs.

    I wonder two things, first how can you deal with opera's nested floating bugs, second does opera matter in real world? How many people use it? Btw, the latest opera snapshot says it solves nested floating problem, but in fact it doesn't, it does solve some of them, but not all of them.

  • User profile image
    mapitman

    No

  • User profile image
    theogray_com

    Workarounds for most bugs are relatively easy to find and luckily I was pointed at a couple before starting out with CSS in earnest.

    Unfortunately I've never actually been able to use Opera to test out these workarounds as it crashes on startup on my system!

  • User profile image
    PeterF

    I'm wondering what they are planning to make for the PocketPC....

  • User profile image
    eagle

    ...and I'm wondering why didn't you just download it, then buy it.

    They are targeting phone browsering in a big way.

    Opera has a community site Keskoos, why didn't you take your question there?

  • User profile image
    Keskos

    eagle wrote:
    ...and I'm wondering why didn't you just download it, then buy it.

    They are targeting phone browsering in a big way.

    Opera has a community site Keskoos, why didn't you take your question there?


    Let me think. You can't make long sentences, you can't write something meaningful, and you are a far right republican who hates people from other countries. What does it tell us? Smiley))

  • User profile image
    Keskos

    mapitman wrote:
    No


    mapitman , welcome to C9. Your short answer gives me a clue about who you are. Smiley))

  • User profile image
    spiderLab

    I do not think Opera has so many CSS bugz as IE.

    Are you sure that your Opera browser render your pages badly because it has a buggy rendering machine, or are you realy using W3C standards?

    Check your pages with W3C's HTML validator:
    http://validator.w3.org/

    I would recomend to follow W3C as far as you possible can, my guess is that one day every browser, authoring enviroment and so on will follow these specs.

    And always check you audience, who are they, how old, and where do you live.

    I know eg. one university here in Norway use Opera as the default browser.

    T

  • User profile image
    Keskos

    spiderLab wrote:
    I do not think Opera has so many CSS bugz as IE.

    Are you sure that your Opera browser render your pages badly because it has a buggy rendering machine, or are you realy using W3C standards?

    Check your pages with W3C's HTML validator:
    http://validator.w3.org/

    I would recomend to follow W3C as far as you possible can, my guess is that one day every browser, authoring enviroment and so on will follow these specs.

    And always check you audience, who are they, how old, and where do you live.

    I know eg. one university here in Norway use Opera as the default browser.

    T


    Well this is the problem opera has. The perception that if you use w3 standards it would work, well it doesn't. Nested floats is a known bug in opera, the opera guys suggest you not to use them. That's the solution I found in opera's forums.

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    Keskos wrote:
    first how can you deal with opera's nested floating bugs, second does opera matter in real world? How many people use it?


    My philosophy is this:
    1. Code to standards first.  This gives every browser a fighting chance.
    2. For browsers with n% market share or greater, test and work around bugs.
    3. For browsers with < n% market share, they either work with the standards or they're on their own.
    Your value of n may vary.  Find out what it is, then see if Opera's above it.  There are various publicly available lists of browser market share, and your web logs may also be useful in this respect.

  • User profile image
    lars

    Does Opera Matter?

    My current design priorities are:

    1. Pass the W3C XHTML validator
    2. MSIE.
    3. Firefox.
    4. Opera.

    Short answer: No.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    A little off-topic - I tried to use the W3C HTML validator to check a HTML file (file.HTML), the first line of the file reads as followed:

    <html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

    The validator refuses to even check it -

    Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type is text/plain, which is not currently supported by this service.

    The Content-Type field is sent by your web server (or web browser if you use the file upload interface) and depends on its configuration. Commonly, web servers will have a mapping of filename extensions (such as ".html") to MIME Content-Type values (such as text/html).

    That you recieved this message can mean that your server is not configured correctly, that your file does not have the correct filename extension, or that you are attempting to validate a file type that we do not support yet. In the latter case you should let us know that you need us to support that content type (please include all relevant details, including the URL to the standards document defining the content type) using the instructions on the Feedback Page.

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    Manip wrote:
    The Content-Type field is sent by your web server (or web browser if you use the file upload interface) and depends on its configuration. Commonly, web servers will have a mapping of filename extensions (such as ".html") to MIME Content-Type values (such as text/html).


    Sounds like either your web server (if you validated via a URL) or your web browser (if you validated via file upload) is broken.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Maybe I should contact the makers of my browser..

  • User profile image
    Tom Malone

    you need to put a dtd <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> as the checker uses the xml rules here to determine the code.

    This should now read

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
    <title>a html eg</title>
    </head>
    <body>

    The uploaded file was checked and found to be valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional. This means that the resource in question identified itself as "XHTML 1.0 Transitional" and that we successfully performed a formal validation using an SGML or XML Parser (depending on the markup language used).

    </body>
    </html>

  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

    Keskos wrote:
    eagle wrote:...and I'm wondering why didn't you just download it, then buy it.

    They are targeting phone browsering in a big way.

    Opera has a community site Keskoos, why didn't you take your question there?


    Let me think. You can't make long sentences, you can't write something meaningful, and you are a far right republican who hates people from other countries. What does it tell us? Smiley))


    How do you know that he is a Republican?

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    opera doesnt matter to me.  i think Opera sucks much more than Firefox.  I use Netscape 7.2 and IE sometimes for the pages that dont render well in Netscape such as Channel 9

  • User profile image
    Karim

    I think Opera matters a great deal.  Why, I remember bursting into tears at the end of Der Rosenkavalier.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.