Coffeehouse Thread

40 posts

Scoble: The Exit Interview

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jason Cox

Can we get Scoble on the whiteboard answering the lightbulb question?
    Tongue Out

• User profile image
    staceyw

BruceLee wrote:

amotif wrote: No, not the HR exit interview.

I'd just like to see Robert on the other side of the camera lens doing an interview for C9, answering questions like:

- Who are you?
    - What have you been doing here these past few years?
    - What do you think of the time you've spent at Microsoft?
    - What are you most proud of doing in your time at Microsoft?
    - How to you most hope Microsoft will change in the next 5 years?
    - How do you think blogging will change in the next 5 years?

Well, that's a start, anyway.

Great idea!

Especially the famous "Who are you?"

...and don't look in the camera.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Manip wrote:

jeffsand wrote: So what do you want us to ask Robert?  Start the questions here...

If he believes that Blogs are social networks, and if they are then do they follow known patterns like Dunbar's number, and the Small world phenomenon.

Or adversily if they are a form of meta-system in which opinion, social contact and news come together to form a new medium of contact and information sharing.

Further more what drives the blogger? Is it a sense of ego gratification in which they receive an ego boost from third party attention, and feel special / important, which has a positive effect on their self-esteem. Or perhaps a way to eliminate frustration from day to day life (e.g. an outlet) or maybe they believe that blogging is a pathway into a career into journalism or another field?

It's the extra sex we get. Women are attracted to bloggers.

Don't believe it? Check this out: http://www.jetsetblog.com/travel/2006/05/scoble_is_sexy.html

Smiley

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

scobleizer wrote:
    It's the extra sex we get. Women are attracted to bloggers.

Don't believe it? Check this out: http://www.jetsetblog.com/travel/2006/05/scoble_is_sexy.html

Smiley
    Well, I just learned today that women are also attracted to astrophysicists:

http://apnews.myway.com/image/20060613/HONG_KONG_HAWKING.sff_XVY104_20060613070611.html?date=20060613&docid=D8I7ADB81

That's Stephen Hawking's nurse. lol

I really need to switch professions.

• User profile image
    jamie

Actual Scoble Exit Interview (by Mary Jo) here:

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1976009,00.asp

• User profile image
    sbc

Maybe there should be a 'Scoble Leaving' C9 park by jamie/Minh.

• User profile image
    jamie

http://c9park.wordpress.com

So where DO we get our first line trenches  MS news from now Steve?

Whos the new company evangelist? with opinions and news to share?

• User profile image
    Sabot

jamie wrote:
    http://c9park.wordpress.com/">http://c9park.wordpress.com

So where DO we get our first line trenches  MS news from now Steve?

Whos the new company evangelist? with opinions and news to share?

To be honest Jamie I think it's still early days to start asking these questions specially as Robert hasn't left yet, I'm sure Microsoft are acutely aware that they will need to do something to 'replace' the role that Robert does.

I know that Robert does leave a pretty big shadow (erm influence wise) but I have a few suggestion on some really cool people in MS that could do the role.

1) Eileen Brown because she is a really good supporter of the community here in the UK, she is our version of Robert. The role would be dead easy for her as her personality is much larger than life, she is wonderfully technical and we all love her, yep she has a large following already.

2) John Noakes because he is the best Microsoft Evangelist here in the UK. Is a down to earth Yorkshire man that tells it how it is. He has a gift of being able to explain complicated topics and convert them into laymen's speaks and vice-versa that comes from many years working in Developer Evangelism group and MSDN.

3) Me! Yes seriously! I already perform the Evangelist role inside my organisation. I'm technical. I love talking to people and in turn people always seem to naturally warm to me. I love challenges and I like to think I have enough charisma to bottle and sell. So enough of me, where can I send me CV?

• User profile image
    jamie

all those people work directly for ms

it needs to be a famous outsider - that then by default -works for ms - but is given complte otonomy

for example who ever chris pirillo is or does - you sure here about him alot

robert mclaws?  way too programmer specific

...?

• User profile image
    jamie

re: "I'm sure Microsoft are acutely aware that they will need to do something to 'replace' the role that Robert does."

yes. it's probably just not announced till robert officially leaves.

I mean.. only a bumbling, clueless embarassing fool would not have such a game plan prepared

• User profile image
    An_Angel

Who would actually dare to or indeed want to "replace" Robert?  I don't think that is really the question... or in fact even an option.  Robert brought with him a particular persona and internal view of MS to the external world based on his own experiences. 

You can't just recruit someone externally for that role unless they know MS very well.  I have a feeling that someone else may end up falling into the role that Robert has had, but I don't think it can be done as a deliberate recruitment drive. 

The question really is now that Robert is not going to be representing the face of MS, who else do people turn to, to find information about the company, views of the market and future direction?... I know who I look to but even with Robert around (no offence Robert) but my info comes from numerous blog resources at MS not just one blog site and quite often word of mouth and face to face contact.  As such I guess the move of one MS blogger to another company really isn't such a difficult thing to take on board... although I fear a lot of people will be lost without his insight into the world of MS. 

I hope Robert & Maryam have a good time in their new company and I look forward to hearing all about what they are up to.  Start up's can be a whole lot of fun but are hard work Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

Damn, I miss him already Sad

• User profile image
    Charles

scobleizer wrote:
    Oh, crud, Charles asks hard technical questions.

I'll keep it nice and easy for you, Scoble Smiley

Robert and I have already been planning this, BTW (prior to the invokation of this thread)... It will happen.
    C

• User profile image
    JKelley

Can the interview wait until I start, and can I watch?

• User profile image
    Jaz

My question to be asked:

Robert, You came to Microsoft and have tried to teach Microsoft to be more open, do you think they have learnt, how far along are they?

• User profile image
    manickernel

Ok, best wishes Scoble...

Now to the important news, who is going to replace him? Huh?

Any ideas?

• User profile image
    Charles

JKelley wrote:
    Can the interview wait until I start, and can I watch?

Did you get hired? Congrats! What team? When do you start?
    C

• User profile image
    Charles

manickernel wrote:
    Ok, best wishes Scoble...

Now to the important news, who is going to replace him? Huh?

Any ideas?

We will not be replacing Scoble. We will rely on more content being created by yours truly and, more interestingly, by members of product teams around the company. We are working on a new content publishing mechanism for Channel 9 this year that will increase both the quantity and quality of our videos and other multimedia.

C

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.