Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Can someone give Scoble a Mac?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    bshankle

Robert,

I read your blog every day, finally you said something I want to respond to...

I am a professional software developer. I have been to Redmond to meet with the CLR team (Anders H. et. al.) before it was called the CLR, I drove Don Box's Porsche at PDC and had debates with Sells in the halls over how garbage collectors should work. I wrote articles for MSDN (ask Josh T. if you don't believe me), I've got my MCSD ticket, I'm an MSDN Universal Subscriber, I manage a team of Windows developers building a .Net based web system, I help direct a very large facility based on MS technologies, I worked at Epic Games during the inception of Unreal and the XBox and had supper with Seamus Blackley, Tim Sweeney, and Cliffy B to talk about how the XBox controller was too big! I post on Channel9 sometimes (thanked Mr. Gates for keeping me fed on there I did) and I actually like MS technology.

I've probably done everything you can do to buddy up with Microsoft over the years EXCEPT apply for a job. I may do that one day, but only if I can work on Ander's team or with Don or the Bungie guys.  And you know what: I also have used several tablet PCs, one for an extended period before I 'unborrowed' it.

Anyway....guess what I did today?

I just ordered a new 20" iMac!

Am I unreasonable? Heck no! I'm a freakin' windows guru (at least in my little circles) and plan to remain one forever, but after I spent HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS trying to make a DVD movie of my newborn son on Windows XP....I just gave up. Maybe I'm just dumb, but when I tried it on a Mac....I was hooked. Apple may not have a tablet (yet), but they for darn sure have an impressively functional and easy to use multimedia/content creation system. (I also installed all their dev tools on a borrowed Mac, not too shabby).

Can your tablet PC allow me to hook up a USB Midi-keyboard and compose music with 80 software instruments rendering their wave-forms in realtime which becomes a track for a video I grabbed from my mini-dv camcorder which cross-fades, titles, effects and other edits on top of a $0.99 Sting song I just bought from the iTunes Store? All with just the software that shipped with the OS? The resulting DVD is getting a cool customized menu system that will actually work on my JVC DVD player and I can burn a bunch of copies for my family for Xmas, while organizing THOUSANDS of digital photos I can search and categorize with WinFS-would-be ease...and use Ken Burns effects to merge them into my DVD as well....

How much would it cost to add all the software to a tablet PC to do all that? How frustrated do you have to get before you give up and buy a mac? Can an Intel or AMD proc even fathom the SIMD loading the G5 is under doing all that? NO! Alitvec kicks PC * dude.

I know you were just trying to start a flamewar, but dude, call Mr. Gates and ask for an XBox 2 Dev kit....um...I mean...get a Macintosh and play around with it for a few days. Do an honest review of it and put it on your blog.
    You'll have answered your own question.

You'll begin to see it's not any one thing that makes Mac superior to a PC (tablet or otherwise), it's the complete package of all that I mentioned above wrapped in a beautiful (read: non-RondalMcDonald-UI like Windows XP has) GUI, running silently, and taking up no desk space.... yummmmy.

Anyway...tell Don Box I said hello and get your head out of the sand....get an iMac, use it, review it, tell us what you find.

I tried to post all this on your blog tonight to add to the flames...but alas it didn't show up...so I'm emailing to you.

I look forward to you comparing and contrasting your tablet pc to a mac. Smiley

-Bruce Shankle
    http://home.nc.rr.com/bshankle/

PS: Please tell me the Avalon (edit: Aero I mean or whoever the hell is doing the next UI) team members have Macs. OS X is a great study in UI design. Heck give Macs to the Avalon team too....

• User profile image
    Keskos

bshankle wrote:

I know you were just trying to start a flamewar, but dude, call Mr. Gates and ask for an XBox 2 Dev kit....um...I mean...get a Macintosh and play around with it for a few days. Do an honest review of it and put it on your blog.
    You'll have answered your own question.

You'll begin to see it's not any one thing that makes Mac superior to a PC (tablet or otherwise), it's the complete package of all that I mentioned above wrapped in a beautiful (read: non-RondalMcDonald-UI like Windows XP has) GUI, running silently, and taking up no desk space.... yummmmy.

Anyway...tell Don Box I said hello and get your head out of the sand....get an iMac, use it, review it, tell us what you find.

I tried to post all this on your blog tonight to add to the flames...but alas it didn't show up...so I'm emailing to you.

I look forward to you comparing and contrasting your tablet pc to a mac. Smiley

-Bruce Shankle
    http://home.nc.rr.com/bshankle/

PS: Please tell me the Avalon (edit: Aero I mean or whoever the hell is doing the next UI) team members have Macs. OS X is a great study in UI design. Heck give Macs to the Avalon team too....

Let's kill all people who don't buy a mac and don't review them. Kill them all. Wow, what a rage you have.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Hello Bruce!
    Next time you see Tim Sweeney can you ask if he can make an (experimental) build of the unreal engine (or ut2k4) that runs on the .NET framework?
    You can see a video here on channel 9 where they made a .net version of Quake 2, but I would really like to see a modern game using the .NET framework.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Um, just a bit about me.

1) My brother-in-law works at Apple as senior technologist. I stay with him twice a month down in Silicon Valley. I get this kind of stuff there (and give it back, he's actually quite jealous of the Tablet PC).
    2) I was a Mac evangelist for far longer than I've been a Microsoft evangelist. Just ask my former boss, Steve Sloan. I am a major reason that San Jose State University's journalism department is all Mac-based right now.
    3) Steve Wozniak gave me $40,000 worth of Macs back in 89 for our community college journalism department.
    4) Woz reads me.
    5) Woz uses Windows.
    6) I got to go to Woz's famous SuperBowl party one year.
    7) My first computer was an Apple II in 1977.
    8) I got a tour of Apple when I was in Jr. High. That was back when they only had one small building in Cupertino.

So, be careful, I might know a little bit more about Apple and Macs than I'm letting on.

Microsoft loves Apple, by the way. I was just in the Apple San Francisco store on Saturday. Saw a whole rack of Microsoft software there.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Oh, can you order wine on an iMac while at a Las Vegas restaurant like this guy did? Smiley

By the way, that Apple was drawn by Larry Larson using Art Rage on a Tablet PC.

• User profile image
    PeterF

Developers make money, The organization they work for will afford a TabletPC for testing when they plan to develop an application for it, it's an investment.

• User profile image
    eagle

bshankle wrote:

20" iMac!

...what did you get with that...fries and a shake?

Yea, someone should give Robert an iMac, look at all the FREE advertising Apple is getting. 

I think this IS a shameless plug for a gratis iMac.

• User profile image
    Minh

ZippyV wrote:
    Hello Bruce!
    Next time you see Tim Sweeney can you ask if he can make an (experimental) build of the unreal engine (or ut2k4) that runs on the .NET framework?
    You can see a video here on channel 9 where they made a .net version of Quake 2, but I would really like to see a modern game using the .NET framework.

For those interested, the Quake .NET demo is hosted at http://www.codeproject.com/managedcpp/quake2.asp -- It's actually been out for quite some time.

• User profile image
    LazyCoder

Can we add an "ignore users post" feature to Channel 9?

re: a managed build of UT 2004. Maybe porting the original Unreal to managed code would be a better example than the latest cutting edge game. The only reason, well not the *only* reason but a major one, that  managed Quake 2 performs so well is due to Moore's law.

I've been wondering whether or not Scoble is pushing the PocketPC over the Palm as hard as he is Tablets over all Macs?

• User profile image
    jonathanh

While we're looking to the Channel 9 readership for help, how about someone giving Franci Penov a hand installing Linux on a media-ish PC? I'm surprised that blog entry on blogs.msdn.com hasn't made slashdot already!

• User profile image
    Manip

I haven't run across that problem myself, so sorry. Hopefully someone has. Just to be clear, he is not trying to install them on a extended Fat32 parition, is he?

• User profile image
    Karim

jonathanh wrote:

While we're looking to the Channel 9 readership for help, how about someone giving Franci Penov a hand installing Linux on a media-ish PC? I'm surprised that blog entry on blogs.msdn.com hasn't made slashdot already!

I am also accepting cash donations, if anyone's feeling especially philanthropic.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

" I read your blog every day, finally you said something I want to respond to..."

I do too, Scoble is a trip isnt he?

" I just ordered a new 20" iMac!"

You did??!! Good for you.  I wish I had money to throw away like that. hehehe  Nice machines tho, I think the new design is not very good but I have my G4 shaving mirror iMac.

" Am I unreasonable? Heck no! I'm a freakin' windows guru (at least in my little circles) and plan to remain one forever, but after I spent HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS trying to make a DVD movie of my newborn son on Windows XP....I just gave up. Maybe I'm just dumb, but when I tried it on a Mac....I was hooked. Apple may not have a tablet (yet), but they for darn sure have an impressively functional and easy to use multimedia/content creation system. (I also installed all their dev tools on a borrowed Mac, not too shabby)."

I make DVD movies on my Windows XP machine all the time for family, gifts for grandma and grandpa and those private films me and my better half dont want anyone else to see and they all come out flawless. I wonder what I am doing wrong? I actually did try to make a DVD on a Mac one time but the thing kept skipping, I found out later I had to lower the write speed in order to have those DVD's play correctly on Commercial DVD Players.

" How much would it cost to add all the software to a tablet PC to do all that? How frustrated do you have to get before you give up and buy a mac? Can an Intel or AMD proc even fathom the SIMD loading the G5 is under doing all that? NO! Alitvec kicks PC * dude."

Nothing, iTunes is free and so is BitTorrent.  I used to use a Mac as my main desktop, I got tired of it and have since moved to PC desktop running Windows XP and I am happier for it.  Mono is nothing like Visual Studios and Visual Studios beats the heck out of XCode.  Find me Borland C# Builder for Mac OS X too?  Cant find it.

" I know you were just trying to start a flamewar, but dude, call Mr. Gates and ask for an XBox 2 Dev kit....um...I mean...get a Macintosh and play around with it for a few days. Do an honest review of it and put it on your blog.
    You'll have answered your own question."

He's not missing anything, just revisiting the UI defects reimplemented but not corrected 20 years later.  I have Tiger and the only thing I find interesting about Tiger is Spotlight, which Im hoping Microsoft reverse engineers or clones for Longhorn and/or Windows XP.

" You'll begin to see it's not any one thing that makes Mac superior to a PC (tablet or otherwise), it's the complete package of all that I mentioned above wrapped in a beautiful (read: non-RondalMcDonald-UI like Windows XP has) GUI, running silently, and taking up no desk space.... yummmmy."

I dont find Macs any superior to Windows based PC's.  They are overhyped and Overpriced and I can fix my PC if something goes wrong, if the Mac goes you have to find a Tech who will charge you an arm and a leg for it or go to the Apple store and lose your Mac for 6 weeks like I did with my iMac.  I do like the Apple Pro Keyboard too and I use that on my PC, on the newer ones the eject button works too.  I call the new Windows theme Luna Fisher Price like.  I see nothing Ronald McDonald about the new theme.  I personally like the Royale theme or the old classic theme.  I even made an Aero theme for Windows XP.

" Anyway...tell Don Box I said hello and get your head out of the sand....get an iMac, use it, review it, tell us what you find. "

Tell Don I said hello too, and I think Scoble is one of the most non-caring about what people use.  Just like I dont care, you have your Mac I have my Sony, You have your Powerbook I have my Sony Vaio.  People can use Macs, Linux, Irix, Solaris, Multics or whatever they wish to use.  I like Windows XP and the Longhorn Alphas I have seen have been bangin' and if Scoble has his head in the sand it is his god given right and privilege to have his head wherever he wants.

You just gave me an idea, Im going to write an editorial for a news sites on "Why I prefer Windows XP over Mac OS X"  i will send you a copy.

• User profile image
    DEEETER

RIGHT ON!!! 

I too have made many DVD home movies on my PC and have worked with the G5 and I just like my PC better. Maybe I have more experience on my PC..,

• User profile image
    bshankle

Regarding: Tim Sweeney and a CLR port of Unreal: That's a GREAT idea. I'll email him today and post back his response.
    Anyone at MS interested in this port?
    -Bruce

• User profile image
    Cider

Keskos wrote:

Let's kill all people who don't buy a mac and don't review them. Kill them all. Wow, what a rage you have.

Its those video games.  They cause people to have violent tendencies.

• User profile image
    bshankle

I emailed Tim about a CLR build of Unreal. I'll let you know what he says.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

bshankle wrote:
    I emailed Tim about a CLR build of Unreal. I'll let you know what he says.
    Nice, by the way do you know how many lines of code the engine consists of (just the engine, not game-related code)?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.