Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Media Player 10

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

Microsoft has announced the final version of Windows Media® Player 10 will be available for download at 6 a.m. PDT on Sept. 2, 2004 (a hour from NOW).

Windows Media Player 10 offers a host of new and improved features:

• New design. Windows Media Player 10 has a significantly updated look, making it quicker and more intuitive for users to perform common digital media activities. The player includes new ways to manage and enjoy a broader range of digital media -- music, video, and now also recorded TV and more -- and makes it easier than ever for consumers to create their own music CDs.
    • Choice of online stores. Windows Media Player 10 includes the first built-in Digital Media Mall, where users can easily discover, sample, and download music and video from a myriad of leading online stores and services, including MSN Music preview, Napster, Musicmatch, MusicNow, Wal-Mart Music Downloads and CinemaNow in the United States, with more stores and services to come later this year.
    • Enhanced device support. Windows Media Player 10 works with more than 70 portable devices, making it easy for consumers to take more digital music with them on the widest range of devices. The player also supports Windows Media Digital Rights Management 10, enabling consumers to transfer and play subscription and promotional content on portable devices, from Portable Media Centers available tomorrow to a range of new devices hitting the market this fall, including those connected via home networks. The new Auto Sync feature in Windows Media Player 10 will also work with certain existing and new devices, enabling users to automatically sync their music, video, pictures and recorded TV to portable devices.
    • Smart Jukebox features. Windows Media Player 10 includes features to help users find and play exactly the digital media they want, quickly and easily. Users also can rip their favorite CDs in their choice of the most popular formats; high-quality Windows Media Audio (WMA) and now high-bit-rate MP3 ripping capability are built in.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Will it be available in other languages as well today?

Edit: Damn, only english and french today.
    "Windows Media Player 10 for Windows® XP is available tomorrow, Sept. 2, in English and French. Other language versions are scheduled to become available in fall 2004. "

• User profile image
    juliankay

Very nice! The Icon is rather odd though, it doesn't show up well on the blue taskbar.. I think it just doesn't fit in well at all. Not very Microsoft!

The visual design for 10 is nice though, and the changes to the Media Library are welcome. Shame you can't 'turn off' things like TV if you don't have it.

Once you've installed it make sure you download the funky new visual to go with it!

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/B/7/3B7F92B8-D73E-4325-B402-B3E72AD6A39E/MP10_EnergyBlissViz.exe

• User profile image
    Blkbam

Is it me or is the page not rendering right in IE.  Funny thing is it works ok in FF.  Damn you css activists...

• User profile image
    HellSnoopy

Been using the WMP 10 Tech Release and I'm liking it a lot. Just installed the final build (3646) and it's an improvement over WMP 9 for sure. The design rox
    The quick launch icon with blue theme kinda blends with the bar and it's not good you can't see it right. With the silver theme it's ok.

• User profile image
    juliankay

@Blkbam

Wait a few mins and try again. I think Microsoft were in the middle of updating stuff.

You should always try forcing a refresh Smiley

• User profile image
    Kaelan

The download page is a 404 for me...

• User profile image
    LazyCoder

Microsoft has announced the final version of Windows Media® Player 10 will be available for download at 6 a.m. PDT on Sept. 2, 2004 (a hour from NOW).

6:31AM here in Seattle according to my watch and it isn't available on Windows Update.

Your link gives a 404 Eagle, and unhandled 404 I might add too. Smiley

edit: It's not Eagles fault though, their site is broken. Smooth move ex lax.

• User profile image
    eagle

Yea, I had the same....then I found:

Download Now 

• User profile image
    juliankay

Why not just try http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/ then?

@LazyCoder

If they are RTWing it today, it doesn't mean it will be on Windows Update today.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine
  • User profile image
    eagle

Me amano in italia!!!

Alle 15 ora italiana (6 del mattino a Redmond...) potrete trovare qui il WMP10

Grazie a Paul Mooney per la segnalazione... e non occupatemi tutta la banda...

posted on Thursday, September 02, 2004 2:35 PM

ciò è buffo!!!

• User profile image
    jamie

the new clouds visualization is really cool - uses ALOT of resources though ( it seems)

• User profile image
    jdm

Thanks for the heads up and link. What I got seems final enough except that  'Music','Radio' and 'Movies&TV' are labeled' beta'. Did I get the right version? ( 10.00.00.3646 )

• User profile image
    sbc

Not for older OS's (like 2000) though. Perhaps it is to try to encourage people to upgrade to XP.

Of course, alternatives (like iTunes) can be used instead - but limiting it to XP only users can lose customers.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Man windows is already being considered an older OS? *tear* Where does the time go?

• User profile image
    PeterF

I seem to have found a minor bug, is anyone able to reproduce it?

1. Install the Energy Bliss plugin
    2. Select the WM10 Bliss visualization in normal mode
    3. Go to the Skin mode
    4. Left click on the visualization area so it will change the visualization
    5. Right click on the visualization area and try to select the Bliss again

I'm not able to select the Bliss visualization until I first change to another visualization.

What I also miss is the option to change the skin, but I haven't used it often anyway...

What I also would like is to change the shortcut keys to the Winamp ones (zxcvb) plus left and right arrows, just so much easier to do score work.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

PeterF wrote:
    I seem to have found a minor bug, is anyone able to reproduce it?

1. Install the Energy Bliss plugin
    2. Select the WM10 Bliss visualization in normal mode
    3. Go to the Skin mode
    4. Left click on the visualization area so it will change the visualization
    5. Right click on the visualization area and try to select the Bliss again

I'm not able to select the Bliss visualization until I first change to another visualization.

I can't repro this - in step 5 I'm able to select the Bliss visualization just fine.

It's pretty cute when it's so small, too Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.