Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

How much SPAM do you receive in a typical day?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    phreaks

Just curious what the metrics are for most ppl.

I have been receiveing an avaerage of 1500/2000 SPAM emails per day.  It is so frustrating.

I have had this email address for 4 years and don't really want to change it. Anyone got any witty solutions to cutting down the percentage of crap mail I receive?

I even spent like 3 hours last week going through hundreds of messages and clicking the links to opt out. So far it has had little to no visible impact on the amount I receive.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Who is your email service provider?

SpamAssassin has done wonders for our organization, especially with the Bayes plugin and the SURBL plugin.

• User profile image
    Chadk

I dont know. I used to get 1-3 at a daily basis, but i blocked all hotmail, yahoo and russian mailes, and i havent got a single one for A LONG TIME!

• User profile image
    phreaks

Maurits wrote:
    Who is your email service provider?

SpamAssassin has done wonders for our organization, especially with the Bayes plugin and the SURBL plugin.

I have my own mail server hosted by my Web Hosting provider.

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

I tend to get one in my inbox every couple of weeks. I've avoided getting spam by avoiding publically posting my addresses on the internet whenever possible. In fact, I've used one address since 1997, and I don't believe I've ever gotten spam on it. By this point it's probably more luck than any spam-avoiding skill that's kept it free of spam, since anyone I've e-mailed with it needs only become infected with a virus that harvests addresses from the victim's address book to get it out there in the spammers' domain.

• User profile image
    Maurits

H4L0PR1CK wrote:
    I have my own mail server hosted by my Web Hosting provider.

What MTA/OS?

• User profile image
    Ian2006

I receive about 2-10 spam emails per week on average.

• User profile image
    Red5

H4L0PR1CK wrote:
    I even spent like 3 hours last week going through hundreds of messages and clicking the links to opt out. So far it has had little to no visible impact on the amount I receive.

Be careful on doing this.  Often times this is how the sender of your email knows that they have a valid email address to send more junk mail to you.  And your email is probably not "opted" out from their list.  It's just a spoof.  It's one of the oldest spammer tricks in the book.

EDIT: I get about 100 a day.  Almost all of them end up in the deleted folder in my Outlook 2003.  I set up filters appropriately to handle the dumping.

• User profile image
    Manip

I had my host turn off SpamAssassin for my domain earlier in the month (after it destroyed a order recipe with tracking info!) ... And thus have a nice log to see how my levels of spam changed... I throw it though some regular expressions and dumped it into Excel to create a pretty graph.

Most of it gets picked up by Outlook, the remaining gets placed into the junk bin... So numbers are pretty accurate.

• User profile image
    littleguru

1 to 3.

• User profile image
    Angus

littleguru wrote:
    1 to 3.

About the same here, it isn't too bad considering some get thousands per day. I used to actively sign one Yahoo! email account I had up for things I knew I would get spammed from, but I never got thousands per day.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    W3bbo

H4L0PR1CK wrote:
    I have been receiveing an avaerage of 1500/2000 SPAM emails per day.  It is so frustrating.

j0 got pwnt.

I get around 40 a day, 20 when I wake up, and 20 throughout the day.

...but 2000 a day, whoa. I'd get myself a new email account.

Remember, the #1 way to get spam is to have your email address publically posted on a high-traffic website.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Manip wrote:
    SpamAssassin... destroyed a order recipe with tracking info!

We have SpamAssassin insert a header that looks like this:

X-Spam-Score: ******** plus more stuff ...

The number of asterisks is the score of the spam (between 5 and 40)

People who are sensitive to spam can set up a rule on their Inbox to look for:
    X-Spam-Score: *****
    This catches everything that even looks like spam.

People who are less sensitive to spam can set up a less restrictive rule:
    X-Spam-Score: ********
    This is a little more lenient.

• User profile image
    phreaks

W3bbo wrote:

H4L0PR1CK wrote: I have been receiveing an avaerage of 1500/2000 SPAM emails per day.  It is so frustrating.

j0 got pwnt.

I get around 40 a day, 20 when I wake up, and 20 throughout the day.

...but 2000 a day, whoa. I'd get myself a new email account.

Remember, the #1 way to get spam is to have your email address publically posted on a high-traffic website.

Ya, tell me about it, pwn3d 4 svr3.
    Just in the course of 2.5 hours, I received 112 Spam messages.

Sad

I usually have about 800 spam mails waiting for me in my inbox first thing in the morning, and another 300 - 600 by 10:00 am (4 hours).

They start coming a little more slowly throughout the day after 10:00 am for some reason.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Angus wrote:

littleguru wrote: 1 to 3.

About the same here, it isn't too bad considering some get thousands per day. I used to actively sign one Yahoo! email account I had up for things I knew I would get spammed from, but I never got thousands per day.

Angus Higgins

The funniest thing is that most of the SPAM mails are in chinese Big Smile I don't understand anything... It's easy to filter them out.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I use Outlook's junk spam filter such that I don't accept mail from anyone I don't know.  Every day or so, I go through the junk mail folder and clear it out....i'm getting about 150-200 a day, so the task isn't that hard.

What's annoying is that this must be profitable for someone...so somewhere, somebody decided to respond to these mails and buy pen1s pills or whatever other crap these jokers are selling.

• User profile image
    System

I do not get much spam. One or two. Outlooks filter is good enough.

• User profile image
    figuerres

well my server probably gets at least 500 a day, I let my exchange server just dump the really bad stuff in a folder.

then outlook takes it down to say 5-10 that get to my inbox.
    10-50 a day in the junk folder.

email today is (IMHO) ready to get a *BIG* overhaul or it will die.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.