wiki was vandalized

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

But I restored a good version.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Good for you Smiley

Somewhat outlandish feature request: run wiki updates through www.surbl.org, either at time of update or out-of-band.

• User profile image
    Angus

I assume this was the Channel 9 wiki, if so nice job. I really like wikis, Wikipedia is my favourite. The UK technology show "The Gadget Show" once had something about Wikipedia on it, then one of the presenters said on his blog that that feature had tempted so many people watching the show to vandalise, and add to Wikipedia that it went down; I don't know whether to believe it, but I did experince some trouble accessing Wikipedia at the time.

However, nice work, the I feel that the Channel 9 wiki is a resource that isn't used enough by us, maybe something will be done about it in the update.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Manip

Wikipedia is a frigging amazing site... It is so much better than the existing encyclopedias, not only because it is up-to-date but also because it has really obscure information you wouldn't expect to find on it.

Plus of course you can edit junk... I make an edit every now and then... Adjust wording, add things, remove things on rare occasions.

• User profile image
    Angus

Manip wrote:
    Wikipedia is a frigging amazing site... It is so much better than the existing encyclopedias, not only because it is up-to-date but also because it has really obscure information you wouldn't expect to find on it.

Plus of course you can edit junk... I make an edit every now and then... Adjust wording, add things, remove things on rare occasions.

Yeah, I have often just gone from stub to stub on the wiki reading for hours and hours; for me, that is the 'magic' of a wiki, Wikipedia is a good example because of the size, quality, ease of use, etc.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:

I consider Wikipedia to be the 2nd step in finding out information.

Step 1: The dictionary: Find out what something is from afar
    Step 2: Wikipedia: Get a general and sometimes specific view into it, but don't trust it for the details (for obvious reasons)
    Step 5: Websites of professionals
    Step 4: Scientific journals

makes sense, no?

• User profile image
    Minh

Manip wrote:
    Wikipedia is a frigging amazing site...

Wait, did Manip just like something?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Can't wait for SharePoint 2007. You can add a Wiki to your sites, among blogs and other things...Cool

• User profile image
    Angus

W3bbo wrote:

I consider Wikipedia to be the 2nd step in finding out information.

Step 1: The dictionary: Find out what something is from afar
    Step 2: Wikipedia: Get a general and sometimes specific view into it, but don't trust it for the details (for obvious reasons)
    Step 5: Websites of professionals
    Step 4: Scientific journals

makes sense, no?

Yeah, I would usually only use the Wikipedia to find out information that will have little to no detrimental effect on me if it is wrong. In other cases, i.e. homework I try to go for other sources first.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

Thanks for fixing it Doombringer.   Yes, the wiki is cool and underutilized, and yes we will do something about that in the upcoming update.

• User profile image
    Charles

There is an extraordinary amount of great information in the Channel 9 wiki. It is too bad that we haven't given visibility to the great work done so far by several MS employees. As Adam said, we really have to address this in our  next release.

Underutilized by Niners, yes. Incredible amount of great work by dedicated MS employees, also yes.

It's all about visibility. Channel 9 has always been more than a "video blog"...

C

• User profile image
    Angus

Charles wrote:
    There is an extraordinary amount of great information in the Channel 9 wiki. It is too bad that we haven't given visibility to the great work done so far by several MS employees. As Adam said, we really have to address this in our  next release.

Underutilized by Niners, yes. Incredible amount of great work by dedicated MS employees, also yes.

It's all about visibility. Channel 9 has always been more than a "video blog"...

C

Would it be practical to link the wiki into posting, in other words, words in your post would link to stubs on the wiki if you ticked a box, much like you tick a box for 'no smilies'?

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Charles

Angus wrote:

Charles wrote: There is an extraordinary amount of great information in the Channel 9 wiki. It is too bad that we haven't given visibility to the great work done so far by several MS employees. As Adam said, we really have to address this in our  next release.

C

Would it be practical to link the wiki into posting, in other words, words in your post would link to stubs on the wiki if you ticked a box, much like you tick a box for 'no smilies'?

Angus Higgins

Some sort of UI-based mechanism like this is a good idea.
    C

• User profile image
    Maurits

Wikis, to be effective, need to be searchable.  The wiki search page is hard to find, and broken.  This is a major limiting factor in Channel9's wiki at this point.

• User profile image
    Maurits
  • User profile image
    Charles

Yeah, search is broken for the Wiki. This will be addressed in the new version of Channel 9.
    C

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.