Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Blimey! Scoble's on Newsnight!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cider

This should be "fun"...

EDIT:  Screen marked as "Robert Scoble  Strategist, Microsoft"...

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Actually Jeff gave me a promotion a couple of weeks ago to "Strategist, Evangelism Network." He did his best to try to keep me around and I greatly appreciate that.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cider wrote:
    This should be "fun"...

Dupe thread, but I'm saving the stream to disk so I can cut the snippet of Scoble out and shove it on t'internet later on.

• User profile image
    Cider

Well, OK, well done.  And yet you still leave?  Ungrateful swine!

The whole Bill Gates bit on Newsnight was actually quite poor, but you held your end up well.  Very poor puff piece report, which started off with the typical bold statements like "Bill Gates changed the world" before dropping into a very shallow report on Linux and the like.  Appalling sources too - the best Linux guy they could come up with was a Systems Admin for a building firm who came out with ridiculous statements like "They say geeks are 10 years ahead of normal people, and I started to install Linux 7 years ago, so Microsoft is going to take some damage soon.  Firstly, I've never heard anyone ever say that about geeks being 10 years ahead of everyone else, and for him to suggest that no one was using Linux before 1999 was laughable.  Then they even had bits on his charity work which didn't make sense such as a representative from Oxfam saying "ooh, we have to make sure donations come with no external influences, but I'm not suggesting the Gates Foundation has any".  If she's not suggesting it, why even put it in the report.  Horrible puff piece of journalism considering this is the most intellectual news program in the UK.

I felt you held your end up but couldn't place where the other guy was coming from - didn't seem pro- or anti-Microsoft and the debate really fizzled out completely.  Unfortunately, for those who don't know who you are (99% of the viewers), you came across as a bit of the Gates cheerleader.

• User profile image
    Cider

W3bbo wrote:

Cider wrote: This should be "fun"...

Dupe thread, but I'm saving the stream to disk so I can cut the snippet of Scoble out and shove it on t'internet later on.

Actually, my thread was here a good 7 minutes before the dupe thread!

Anyway, anyone can see it again here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/default.stm

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Cider wrote:
    Well, OK, well done.  And yet you still leave?  Ungrateful swine!

I told you PodTech made me a killer offer! Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.