Coffeehouse Thread

36 posts

Sorry.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • jamie

i posted a bunch of emotional drivel last night and i wanted to appolgize.

It has been a very hard week - first with scoble leaving now gates is going.
    i over-reacted (as i always do - the sky is falling!..etc)

anyway.  2 hard shots in one week... I know many of you are resiliant to this type of stuff - but i like ms cause of gates and cause of scoble - the tech is almost secondary.

obviously i have to figure out why the heck im posting here - with my 2 main reasons now basically gone. but regardless of the company - there are just too many people i like and know here - so.. im stuck Wink

im hoping to get my enthusiasm back - right now it might as well be Coke Coffeehouse or McCoffeehouse. 

Im here for the people ive met and know here - in the meantime - i will try hard to pick up on why i should care about this "new" ms

ill even try to be possitive from time to time ...more often.

Once again - sorry.  over and out.
    j

• Larsenal

Jamie, I think I speak for all of us when I say we're glad you're staying.  I know for many Niners, you're one of the reasons we stay here.

I was feeling simlar thoughts last night--thinking about C9.  The tech will always be secondary to the people for me, and that's the way it should be.  One of the reasons I enjoy C9 is that amidst all the tech zealotry, we often get glimpses of the real people.  I'm not talking merely that we meet Mr. Office-12-PM or Miss WPF.  We are reminded that these people have hopes, fears, families, dreams outside the otherwise cold world of tech.

As long as C9 is tech plus people, I'll be here.

• DoomBringer

The notorious BG isn't leaving fully for another 2 years yet.

• jamie

yes.  he's meeeeelting...slowly away.   Mad

ps - thanks

• irascian

Just wanted to second what Larsenal said - you're one of the reasons I still hang around here, even when common sense says this place is turning into "troll heaven" and is becoming a complete waste of time.

I totally disagree with your thinking that Bill and Scoble moving on is something to get depressed about. I'm sad they're both going, but Microsoft is so much more than one person.

There have been times where I've thought some of your posts were a bunch of drivel, but nowhere near as often as I've nodded my head in agreement or laughed out loud at your wonderful cartoons and photo work. And when all's said and done I don't think there are many of us here who can say we've NEVER posted drivel on these boards.

Stick around. You help give Channel 9 a personality. Big Smile

• Cybermagell​an

irascian wrote:

I totally disagree with your thinking that Bill and Scoble moving on is something to get depressed about. I'm sad they're both going, but Microsoft is so much more than one person.

I'm happy they're both going....let me explain...

Scoble moving on...no longer is he "Microsofts" but now he can "own" what he does...he's pretty much "rulled" Blogging, how about podcasting, videocasting, etc....time to crack open some other markets.

Bill Gates...jesus where to begin...$50 Billion and he's going to focus his life on making the world a better place outside of Microsoft?

Bill: Ray, Steve, Linus....here's $2 Billion dollars each....find the cure for cancer.

HOLY HELL that would be awesome but you get the point...just because he's leaving Microsoft doesn't mean he's leaving technology all total.

• Sven Groot

You can take the geek out of Microsoft, but can you take Microsoft out of the geek? I don't think so. That goes for both Scoble and Gates.

• Yggdrasil

irascian wrote:

I'm with irascian here. Like many or most here, I grew up with the image of Bill Gates as the ultimate nadir of geekdom - he IS Microsoft. He IS technology. He was the company and the company was him, and through that half of the personal computing world.

But I grew up. And I worked a lot with Microsoft - both with their products and with their employees. And I read the blogs and I watched the C9 movies and I got to understanding that regardless of Bill Gates' work to start Microsoft and get it to where it is today, he is no longer the prime force that determines whether Microsoft will fall or fly.

Microsoft is an organization numbering about 60,000 people. No one man can make such a huge difference on that big a body. As Chief Software Architect and even before that, in the '95 timeframe, he may have made high-level decisions that affected the company's direction, but facing in the right direction isn't enough to succeed.

I don't feel any personal connection to Bill Gates. I don't feel any sort of grief for his leaving. Even less so for Scoble - Scoble was a big name in the tech world even before he started blogging for Microsoft, and continued to be Scoble throughout, much more than he was Microsoft. I feel that he will still be Scoble, and even more so, now that he can focus on his... Scoblehood. Scobleocity. Scobleness. Take the brand name that is Robert Scoble (#1 and #5 on Google search for "Robert", and that's with the domain change splitting his incoming links) and put it to good use - not for Microsoft, but for Scoble.

Microsoft will survive. I don't know Ray Ozzie or Craig Mundie, but Ozzie has been getting a lot of positive press. I've just downloaded Office 2007 Groove client/server, so I'll see soon what Ozzie's worth. Smiley

• scobleizer

I'm not leaving Channel 9, by the way. Hey, now I get to be a legitimate Niner!

Heheh, yeah, I'm trying to find my Scobleness. This weekend it's pretty hard. I'm watching a lot of TV and hanging out with Chris Pirillo. Lots of geeky fun.

• Manip

scobleizer wrote:
    Heheh, yeah, I'm trying to find my Scobleness. This weekend it's pretty hard. I'm watching a lot of TV and hanging out with Chris Pirillo. Lots of geeky fun.

Numb3rs? Smiley

• eagle

scobleizer wrote:
     I'm watching a lot of TV and hanging out with Chris Pirillo. Lots of geeky fun.

Who's got the bigger Plasma?

Jamie, the /. kiddies who hang in the Coffeehouse hate MSFT and The USA, they see you as their leader.

• Rossj

eagle wrote:
    Jamie, the /. kiddies who hang in the Coffeehouse hate MSFT and The USA, they see you as their leader.

I am fed up with being accused of being anti-american or anti-msft on this forum. Congratulations Eagle - you win - I'm outta here. Nice to have met you all.

• eagle

It's Fathers day in the good old USA, so happy Fathers day Ross.

You should spend more time with your chirldren then you do with the kids on C9.

Most of the MVP's and MSFT's left C9 after the /. kiddies took over and Jamie was their Pied Piper.

• Manip

eagle wrote:
    It's Fathers day in the good old USA, so happy Fathers day Ross.

You should spend more time with your chirldren then you do with the kids on C9.

I laughed at the irony of his post... Eagle, is at least as bad as any of the childish users here on C9, and arrogant to boot...

• eagle

You should spend more time with your Father Manlip, who knows you might learn something.

• Manip

eagle wrote:
    You should spend more time with your Father Manlip, who knows you might learn something.

Yawn... What a clever come-back Eagle, you must be a college graduate... 8-)

• TommyCarlier

Eagle, stop chasing away people. So anyone who doesn't agree with you or who doesn't love America is anti-American? Just shut your yap, √Ęss whipe. Rossj, don't leave. You're one of the sane people here.

• Minh

Manip wrote:
    eagle wrote:You should spend more time with your Father Manlip, who knows you might learn something.

Yawn... What a clever come-back Eagle, you must be a college graduate...

Worse. Eagle is an old fart. I guess that means you can't teach him new tricks.

Paul Mooney

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.