Which Vista feature do you like best?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    footballism

I like the search engine and Desktop Window Manager indeed

Sheva

• User profile image
    WillemM

I like the new aero interface, especially the previews of the windows in the taskbar.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

advanced search, aero, superfetch, gadgets

• User profile image
    CoLD FiRe

LOL, Vista has turned out to be a technology release instead of an end user feature release. Now DON’T get me wrong, I’m not denying that Vista has a far better core/code base than XP and that it will set the grounds for the next gen OS’s. Since it has many brand new stacks and makes better use of Multi Core and NQC technologies.

But on the other hand, sooooo many features have been cut that it makes me laugh seeing a thread like this. Coz there’s really not much to pick from anymore.

Cutting the PC to PC Sync was a real bad idea.
    I, along with many others EXPECT an OS after 5 years from XP’s release to have great PC Sync technologies. And what do you know? It still doesn’t.

I hope that Vista R2 will include pretty much all the features that Longhorn had prepared that were dropped from Vista.
    Since Vista has almost set all of the primary Pillars down. The only pillar that’s missing is WinFS. Now I know we have been told that it’s going to come in a service pack.
    But I personally can’t see it being really used till Vista R2. Why? Well since WinFS will use Virtual Folders to pretty much do all navigation and Information Sorting/Data Gathering. They will need to alter certain aspects of the SHELL layout (explorer) to take advantage of it. And I just can’t see them doing something this radical via a service pack release.
         Anyway back to Vista R2. Microsoft should be able to include many if not all of the features that were cut from Vista that where in Longhorn. I mean since all the hard complex work will be finished in Vista, it gives them 18-24 months to included the more minor things that we all feel in love with.

And I hope Vienna then comes out at about what? 2011? and revolutionizes the way we use computers. Now some of you guys might be thinking, “Err what could be revolutionary that we don’t already have in Vista R2?” Well, most of us will be using Multi Core PC’s by 2011ish yeah? I mean heck I’m using an X2 now. Well to take advantage of those extra cores, why not have a Data analysis system that’s able to label and sort through data based on not merely Meta data. But actual file contented. That can say do things such as analyze music and sort them into genre or be able to tell if a picture was as night shot or a day shot. Or even to be able to tell what photos you’re in via facial recognition.
    Of course there would need to be improvements in not only CPU technology but in storage as well to cater for such an advanced engine.

Anyways sorry about that little rant. Finally to your question Tongue Out
    My favorite things that are still in Vista would have to be the new Audio Stack, new Network Stack, the stack views in explorer and the Eye Candy.
    Shame that’s about all that’s left in Vista.

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

footballism wrote:
    I like the search engine and Desktop Window Manager indeed

Sheva

alt-tab with glass (tickles me every time I do it), wmp11 (I just love the eye candy), probably a couple of others.

The security geek in me loves LUA Smiley

• User profile image
    Chadk

LarryOsterman wrote:

footballism wrote: I like the search engine and Desktop Window Manager indeed

Sheva

alt-tab with glass (tickles me every time I do it), wmp11 (I just love the eye candy), probably a couple of others.

The security geek in me loves LUA

What about the new Audio Stack? Big Smile

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

There are so many things to like, I can't pick one Smiley

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

LarryOsterman wrote:

alt-tab with glass (tickles me every time I do it)

you know that was an XP power toy right?

Posting this from Vista... lots I like....

Thing I hate most.... the new "All Programs" menu.... I don't like scrolling

• User profile image
    footballism

Ang3lFir3 wrote:

LarryOsterman wrote: 

Posting this from Vista... lots I like....

Thing I hate most.... the new "All Programs" menu.... I don't like scrolling

But you can search the programme you want to start without wasting time on scrolling down the menu to find the needed programmes, I always have a good memory, so I always can find the programme I need through searching it by name;)

Sheva

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Ang3lFir3 wrote:

LarryOsterman wrote: 

But the XP powertoy didn't have live thumbnails and was slow as hell. One thing I like about alt-tab in Vista: you can select the desktop and you can use the mouse to pick a program (not sure if the XP powertoy let you do that).

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

And you can also scroll using the mouse wheel.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Breadcrumb bar.

It almost makes up for the goofy window animation.

• User profile image
    David Washington

The new common file dialog and IFileDialog API are totally awesome! my favorite. I actually really like windows photo gallery too...I have the most elaborate tagging system I have ever seen.

• User profile image
    Nightengale

While I am sure there are lots of great improvements that better minds than mine can think of and I also am sure there is a tech name for this....I love how the file explorer will auto scroll horizontally:). I was unconsciously wishing for that to be implemented. It makes me smile.

• User profile image
    AdityaG

Nightengale wrote:
    While I am sure there are lots of great improvements that better minds than mine can think of and I also am sure there is a tech name for this....I love how the file explorer will auto scroll horizontally. I was unconsciously wishing for that to be implemented. It makes me smile.

I am not lucky enough to have a computer powerful enough to have Vista but I do try to read up on it like crazy. I have never heard this though. What's this scrolling you speak of?

• User profile image
    LaBomba

My favorite feature of vista: windows+tab, aero/glass/wpf stuff...i like the gadgets...but yeah the visuals are the most impressive.Smiley

Off-topic: But this is weird how in my dual-boot config, when running XP it recognizes its partition as the C: drive when running, and Vista recognizes it's partition as the C: drive when its running.

Never had that happen before in dual boot configs, i was kinda confused when looking for files on the Vista partition on XP and then realized what the case was.

Anybody else get the same thing on dual-boot configs with Vista? Installing vista on a dual-boot was super easy for me though..just a minor temporary annoyance.

• User profile image
    Nightengale

What it is. It's difficult for me to explain, not knowing the correct technical jargon. The best way to explain it, maybe, lol,  when you need to select a file or folder for some reason, and you expand a folder, and then a sub-folder, and then maybe even another sub-sub-folder...then you needed to move the horizontal bar to the right, to keep what you are looking for within view. What I have observed is that vista b2's file manager will auto center, or maybe, focus is a better word, to the current sub-folder, or even file that you have last expanded. You don't have to move the bottom slider bar (horizontal) to the right to see just what the heck you have just expanded....gosh, it sounds lame spelling it all out, but what the heck, I like it!Big Smile I hope that you get more capital to invest in increased power so you can test out b2 soon, I do believe you will like what you see. Pls let me know if I explained this properly.

• User profile image
    messerschmi​tt

Hum well, i know a thing Microsoft could haved ripped from MacOS X;

Spring-loaded folders

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.