Coffeehouse Thread

65 posts

How many people on here are pro developers?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

What kind of developer are you at the moment, are you a student, graduate, professional, hobbiest etc.

If your a professional are you a contractor, permanent or do you run your own business? Would be interesting to know what people here actually do because I see alot of good developers.

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

Placement student working as a developer....

• User profile image
    Chadk

Im a student the next 9 years at least.

• User profile image
    Manip

Student starting my 3rd year @ Uni in September.

• User profile image
    xklaus

I'm a permanet professional developer.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Student + developer + ISV + MS Student Partner + private person = littleguru

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

leeappdalecom wrote:
    What kind of developer are you at the moment, are you a student, graduate, professional, hobbiest etc.

If your a professional are you a contractor, permanent or do you run your own business? Would be interesting to know what people here actually do because I see alot of good developers.

I work for a placement/contracting company, doing contract work as a developer, team leader and/or consultant. Sometimes all three at once on different projects. Smiley

Technically I'm a student as well, but since I'm studying linguistics and American history, I don't know if it counts.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

so theres alot of students on here then Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I'm a student. Smiley

Not for too long anymore I hope, a few months at most.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

There are so many ways to interpret professional... I've worked with so many permies and contractors in my time, and each has classed themselves as professional.  Yet some gained 'professional' status by reading a book and surviving on wit for two contracts.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Another_Darren wrote:
    There are so many ways to interpret professional... I've worked with so many permies and contractors in my time, and each has classed themselves as professional.  Yet some gained 'professional' status by reading a book and surviving on wit for two contracts.

"Professional" is a very simple definition - do you make your living from writing software? If so, you're a software professional.

That doesn't imply you know what you're doing, of course. Just means you're SUPPOSED to. Smiley

• User profile image
    Beetlejuice

i`m tongues programmer (developer) Smiley ... permanent mode Big Smile

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Yggdrasil wrote:

Another_Darren wrote:There are so many ways to interpret professional... I've worked with so many permies and contractors in my time, and each has classed themselves as professional.  Yet some gained 'professional' status by reading a book and surviving on wit for two contracts.

"Professional" is a very simple definition - do you make your living from writing software? If so, you're a software professional.

That doesn't imply you know what you're doing, of course. Just means you're SUPPOSED to.

yeah i dont know what the hell im talking about but i make a good living out of it Perplexed

• User profile image
    figuerres

developer,developer,developer....

No I'm not balmer Smiley

I guess I am starting to be an "old timer" (which is scarry to think of)

I started with 8 bit stuff like the Commodore VIC and 64 and 128
    done Amiaga, PC's with DOS, Sun boxes, Linux, WIndows

C
    BASIC
    PASCAL
    COBOL
    ASM (6502,x86,z80)
    dbase II -- III+
    and some other stuff....

COBOL and PASCAL were for school classes.

today most of my time is C# and SQL server related stuff.

my boss wants C# -- if it was my call id be using VB.NET
    ( this could change as time goes by )

I like a lot of the C type languages, I did a *LOT* of C for DOS apps

but there are some things I like about VB.NET that are not in C#
    and some C# things I like that I am not sure if VB.NET has
    so it's almost a toss up.

anyone here recall:

Microsoft Windows 2/286 ?
    Microsoft QuickC 1.0 (DOS) ?
    DR-DOS 7 ?
    MS-DOS 4.0  -- bad version -- was updated very soon to 4.01

to name a few ....

• User profile image
    Red5

A student of Life.
    I try to make ends meet as a developer.

• User profile image
    davidofmorr​is

I train monkeys to do little dances without flinging their excrement at the audience - it doesn't pay well, but it can be very gratifying! Big Smile

• User profile image
    Tensor

"professional" just turned contractor after many years as a permie.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Tensor wrote:
    "professional" just turned contractor after many years as a permie.

same here, just started my company up too, I hope i'm never a permie again!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.