Coffeehouse Thread

65 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How many people on here are pro developers?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Larsenal

blatzcoder wrote:
    At the moment, I am a hobby developer. The only language I really know is HTML, maybe a bit of Javascript. I would like to learn some C++.

brb I'm being told to turn off the computer now

ps does the sanbox accept web pages?

...puts things in perspective.

Blatz, I hope things go well for you.  Be humble about your skills/knowledge and you'll find a lot of people will be willing to help you along the way.

• User profile image
    qswitch426

Spent 6 years as a developer in the defense industry.

Now I spend my time convincing undergraduates they have a future as new developers.  Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

Larsenal wrote:

blatzcoder wrote: At the moment, I am a hobby developer. The only language I really know is HTML, maybe a bit of Javascript. I would like to learn some C++.

brb I'm being told to turn off the computer now

ps does the sanbox accept web pages?

...puts things in perspective.

Blatz, I hope things go well for you.  Be humble about your skills/knowledge and you'll find a lot of people will be willing to help you along the way.

From my current point, he could have said the truth. He lied about being quiet until he put something in the sandbox. Perhaps this time he says the truth that would also clear why he had not put anything in the sandbox yet...

He could just be unable to do something.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Yggdrasil wrote:

Another_Darren wrote: There are so many ways to interpret professional... I've worked with so many permies and contractors in my time, and each has classed themselves as professional.  Yet some gained 'professional' status by reading a book and surviving on wit for two contracts.

"Professional" is a very simple definition - do you make your living from writing software? If so, you're a software professional.

Yep.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Steve411 wrote:

Yggdrasil wrote:  "Professional" is a very simple definition - do you make your living from writing software? If so, you're a software professional.

Yep.

I can't agree. There is a lot people that make their money for living by developing software and they are far far away from being a professional.

And there is other people, that are gurus or grand masters of some language, algorithms, programming in general ... but don't (need) do it for living...

I call the second pro developers and the first just developers.

• User profile image
    AndyD

professional dev here too. Though I do have to do a lot of other stuff such as UI design, project management and trying to find new devs to join our team...

• User profile image
    mawcc

Professional developer since 1993, freelance since 1999 (am I really that old already?).

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Professional developer from 1983 to 1998.

After that, consulting hell Wink

Oh yeah, and this new gig...

• User profile image
    Cairo

PaoloM wrote:

Oh yeah, and this new gig...

which is ... what? We know, now, that you work for Microsoft -- but doing what? Maybe I missed that thread. I missed the video on the front page about BillG retiring, so it's certainly possible, and even likely.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

consultant

• User profile image
    TimP

Going into my second university year for a CS degree. Working this summer on mainframes (z/OS) and loving every minute of it. Smiley

• User profile image
    spoofnozzle

davidofmorris wrote:

I train monkeys to do little dances without flinging their excrement at the audience - it doesn't pay well, but it can be very gratifying!

Well you see... there's your problem.

I train my monkeys to develop... we have "developer, developer, developer, developer" playing on a continual loop... I have about a million of them, and they each have their own teletype... they write mostly crap, but every now and then one of them comes up with a real gem.

Perhaps I could rent them out to the VISTA team ??  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    amotif

leeappdalecom wrote:
    What kind of developer are you at the moment, are you a student, graduate, professional, hobbiest etc.

If your a professional are you a contractor, permanent or do you run your own business? Would be interesting to know what people here actually do because I see alot of good developers.

I took my first full-time programming job in 1988 (don't do the math, kids) and am currently working as a contract developer. A lot of interesting development work happened between then and now. Smiley Sometimes I work through an agency, sometimes I bill directly through my company, which presently makes money only when I'm billing directly. I'm hoping to change that. Smiley

Edit: Oh, I guess I count myself as a professional. Wink

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

spoofnozzle wrote:

davidofmorris wrote: 

I train monkeys to do little dances without flinging their excrement at the audience - it doesn't pay well, but it can be very gratifying!

Well you see... there's your problem.

I train my monkeys to develop... we have "developer, developer, developer, developer" playing on a continual loop... I have about a million of them, and they each have their own teletype... they write mostly crap, but every now and then one of them comes up with a real gem.

Perhaps I could rent them out to the VISTA team ?? 

That's how OSS got started....

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Cairo wrote:
     which is ... what? We know, now, that you work for Microsoft -- but doing what?

Program Manager (aka cat herder) in Windows Desktop Search.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

PaoloM wrote:

Cairo wrote:  which is ... what? We know, now, that you work for Microsoft -- but doing what?

Question...is your actual physical desktop at work a mess? Do you ever lose anything on your desk?

Sorry, ironic moment. Big Smile

• User profile image
    Cairo

PaoloM wrote:

Cairo wrote: which is ... what? We know, now, that you work for Microsoft -- but doing what?

Ah, cool. Do you work with the MSN Desktop Search thing at all, or is that another project entirely?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Cairo wrote:
    Ah, cool. Do you work with the MSN Desktop Search thing at all, or is that another project entirely?

Same project, new versions Smiley

I really hate doing this, but I'll do it anyways (hey, I *am* part of an Evil Empire, right?): the stuff that we'll get out of the door between this summer and Vista is going to be awesome Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.