Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

DevReadiness.org - New community site for Windows Vista Developers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Pappy

Windows Vista makes many changes to the OS to improve the security and availability of the platform.  But any time the OS changes it can impact the compatibility of existing applications.

We have worked with our partners at the 05 PDC, TechEd 06 and in private labs to help get existing applications ready to run on Windows Vista.  From those labs we have assembled the content that developers need (PPTs, White Papers, Videos, Code samples, tools, etc.) to help ensure existing apps can run on the new OS.

We have posted this applications compatibility content on a new community site called
    http://DevReadiness.org 

Check it out and let me know what you think.

/bb

• User profile image
    littleguru

We get to much pages... aren't we? It is very hard to keep track with everything.

• User profile image
    androidi

littleguru wrote:
    We get to much pages... aren't we? It is very hard to keep track with everything.

It's probably for slightly different audience.. One that only has time or interest for a 3-4 minute video.

The Vista hyping machine is just gearing up. I'd expect a hundred more sites to pop up targeting all kinds of specific and focused audiences.

Where is the Vista Robotic Knitting community site?!? I can't grasp how Microsoft managed to miss this opportunity!!!

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Charles

We may make this a show on Channel 9: Windows Vista Readiness

Thoughts?
    C

• User profile image
    littleguru

Charles wrote:
    We may make this a show on Channel 9: Windows Vista Readiness

Thoughts?
    C

Yep. Sounds better. Channel 9 should evolve more and more in a Channel with different shows for different audience...

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Comon now...how many pages is Microsoft going to start? It's starting to get a slight bit annoying now.

Anyone say "Wackamole"?

• User profile image
    littleguru

The problem is that there is no central unit for all the pages. I mean it keeps people at Microsoft busy to create new community sites, but it is very hard to follow them all. There is just to much of them.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I'm glad to see there's some original content on this one and for that I'll keep an eye on it.

But I hope MS doesn't plant a slew of "community" sites that all seem to point to the same (or each others) content like they did with .Net.

Or was I just hallucinating that?

• User profile image
    Rocky Moore

Instead of all these different community sites, I would rather have one single community site for Windows Vista developers.  There is no way to keep up with all this different "community" sites.  It seems to do nothing but fraction up the deveoper community like MS has done with software.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Nuts!!!

develop for vista -- you only have to go to:

microsoft.com
    msdn
    glidepath
    devreadynes
    atlas
    asp.net
    iis.net
    and ....

FTW???

what ever happened to msdn?  does anyone at microsoft recall what that stands for??

hint:  "The MicroSoft Developers Network"

Back to basics folks.... spend more time making stuff on MSDN usefull and findable.... not creating 27,000 places to look!

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

I'm not digging the site content layout.

Whatever happened to an excellent and well-thought out heirachy or tag-based groups with powerful built-in search and light community-based feedback to determine the usefuless of an article, and where the usefulness is limited, to improve the article?

I seem to recall MSDN does that...

....and incidentally, whatever happened to the concept of a centralized database of information that could be cross-published to numerous different sites?

Ah, I think it's up and running here...

I'm not seeing a clear break between "best practice and practical articles" and "community-centric support."

There also seems to be a lack of useful information on many of these sites. More presentation-based, though I can't seem to isolate the target market, than information-centric.

Personally, I'd like to see a decent marketing team take Channel9 and leverage its brand to grow the site and segment the audiences into different sections of the site. The Coffeehouse and Techoff is a start; but the forums on Channel9 aren't, currently, very community-centric.

Still; the Channel9 brand has a lot of potential, and it seems these "me-too" sites are diluting its impact while not adding a helluva lot. Why wasn't on10, for example, folded into a section of Channel9? ditto for this.

• User profile image
    Charles

Michael,

It is not our intent to make Channel 9 a portal for everything "Community" at Microsoft... 10 is not a subsection of Channel 9 because 10 targets end user enthusiasts, not developers.

Channel 9 is all about bringing developers closer to the people and products that make up the Microsoft Development Experience.

You will see more developer focus than ever before this year on Channel 9.

Channel 9:  Bringing you closer than ever before to the Who What Why and How of Microsoft's development technolgies, platforms and operating systems.

That's pretty nifty marketing, eh? Smiley Nah. It's just the truth.

C

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Charles wrote:
    It is not our intent to make Channel 9 a portal for everything "Community" at Microsoft... 10 is not a subsection of Channel 9 because 10 targets end user enthusiasts, not developers.

I know: I think it's needlessly confusing.

It's also becoming difficult to find the right community site. How do I know if Channel9, on10, DevReadiness, and so on is appropiate for me? How do I even know they exist?

It's not easy to navigate from Microsoft/MDN sites to there, unless you like following every damn link on the page.

Sure, it's great to have a laser-focus site with a dedicated community and a lot of good information. If you can pull that off with Channel9, then good - but you haven't this last year. Sure, probably Scoble's influence; trying to go more mainstream.

Charles wrote:
    Channel 9 is all about bringing developers closer to the people and products that make up the Microsoft Development Experience.

You will see more developer focus than ever before this year on Channel 9.

Good: assuming it's done.

Right now, Channel9 is more "video product demos" of a relatively inferior quality (hard to see screens, etc). There's little discussion on the hard decisions the product teams had to make, where the competition is, what their vision is, how they're really opening up stuff to third parties, what their product aims to do in the marketplace, how it'll make things easier for developers to make compelling products built on top, and so on.

I'd prefer to watch a video discussion the finer points of using the Windows Live Local API to create an enterprise-level application tracking clients and appointments, then optimizing the route/travel time for the field sales team as opposed to watching a half-baked product demo that re-states everything already available about the product - particulely if we can download the demo! Spending an hour on that is ...not efficient, compared to 10 minutes reading up a product spec sheet.

In short, focusing on the decisions people at Microsoft make about their work, and why that applies to third party developers.

The Going Deep series is good, and I'd like to see more of that. But really, I'd prefer to see videos talking about the developer ecosystem Microsoft is building with all its new products - instead of hearing how Microsoft's expansion is throttling developers.

Charles wrote:
    That's pretty nifty marketing, eh? Nah. It's just the truth.

Marketing is truth.... unless it's bad marketing Wink

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

blatzcoder wrote:
    You want MORE marketing? On top of what is already going on?

Using the word "marketing" to refer to "PR speak" needlessly devalues the word - particularly as I took the time to isolate what aspect of "marketing" I was referring to.

Channel9 does not have a solid brand. It's all over the place, thanks primarily to Scoble's user-perspective and blog (thus driving traffic towards Channel9, changing the audience and leaving product teams wanting to use Channel9 to generate buzz instead of connecting with developers).

The forums attached to the site are less about sharing useful information on Microsoft products, generating reviews and conclusions of upcoming products, or collaborating on common problems than it is a place for some regulars to waste time and complain about the general state of things. Flame wars provide amusemement once in a while, but nothing ever valuable.

Content shared on the site is in the form of linked articles to news source. But why, for example, doesn't Channl9 have a dedicated section of the site devoted to people who have the Vista Beta installed, and are hacking together applications on it? Or taking advantage of the .NET 3.0 Framwork, enticing Microsoft developers to take part; answer questions, discuss best practices, and so on?

Nor do the videos really justify the time, in terms of information conveyed, to watch them. Why aren't product teams using the videos as a way to say "hey, this is who we are. If you want to contact us about our work, you can reach us by..."?" Sure, team members sometimes post in the video tread, but not often. Nor are the video threads all, or even mostly, on topic.

No, there are a number of problems Channel9 has in terms of content. But it's mainly related to the site's target market, and what product teams giving the interviews should do with the opportunity - how they should use the videos in their marketing strategy.

Marketing s interfacing with your market; in this case, developers on Microsoft products.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.