Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Something missing...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • gmiley

This post should probably have been under a previous thread... too bad. =)

I've had the feeling like there should be something else on this site. There is a Wiki, there is a forum... Maybe I am looking for something of a cross of the two.

I guess what I am looking for is maybe a dev forum section. Something dedicated to developers (hardware/software). Something that can maybe be contributed to as a Wiki, but more of an open forum knowledgebase/Q&A/R&D type of thing. (Forgive my rambling, just brainstorming out loud in text.)

Maybe a place where devs can gather and offer/request help or even just hash out new ideas and concepts in a freeform way.

Does anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

• miies

gmiley wrote:

Does anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

No Wink

Seriously, yeah I know. But give the guys some time. The site hasn't been up for a month, and I don't think it would be good to immediately overload us with all kinds of features. Just let the site grow naturally, adding some frequently requested functionality once in a while.

• gmiley

"But I want an Oompahloompah now daddy!"

Heh, yah I don't mean immediate implimentation, just kinda brainstorming ideas of what might be usefull sections/features for this site.

• stevex

As soon as you put "Microsoft Developers" in an open forum, everyone is going to have their questions.  How come I can't print in Word? Surely the developers will know the answer.  Etc.

So what we need is a barrier to entry.  Smiley  Maybe not for all of channel9 but think about this for a special purpose developers forum.

Create a forum that's designed for working on code interactively - where each new topic is started with a class, that must compile.

When you follow up a post, the editor quotes the entire original post and you make your changes.. and when you submit your post, the forum engine would post your entry as diffs from the previous one.

Kind of like CVS meets forums.

What do you think?

• gmiley

I like that. However, blocking access almost defeates the purpose of it being an open forum. I do agree it needs to be made clear tho that it is not a 'tech support' forum. Besides, it would be a great place for beginners to go to see code examples and maybe get ideas of their own. Heck, I've even come across inexperienced programmers that have given me some really good, fresh outlooks on a few things.

Also, requirement might not be that you have a working class/function/sub etc... since I would like to see suggestions and/or brainstorming of ideas and concepts.

Maybe to get something like that started everyone can provide input about what they would like to see in a section of this type? Requirements, restrictions?

• Charles

stevex wrote:

Create a forum that's designed for working on code interactively - where each new topic is started with a class, that must compile.

When you follow up a post, the editor quotes the entire original post and you make your changes.. and when you submit your post, the forum engine would post your entry as diffs from the previous one.

Kind of like CVS meets forums.

What do you think?

Fantastic idea. Let's begin with a discussion of how we could implement this in C# and run it as part of an ASP.NET application.

• Charles

gmiley wrote:
    ...I would like to see suggestions and/or brainstorming of ideas and concepts.

Go ahead and start a wiki, give life to your idea!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.