Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How is MySpace making its money?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Hi,

I wonder how MySpace makes its money? I mean they seem to have no ads on their page and registration is for free... It seems strange to me how they make their money for living...

Anybody knowing more?

• User profile image
    Manip

With the ads on every members page.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Aren't those myspace folks the same guys that brought us all sorts of adware via bs websites?

• User profile image
    zhuo

littleguru wrote:
    Hi,

I wonder how MySpace makes its money? I mean they seem to have no ads on their page and registration is for free... It seems strange to me how they make their money for living...

Anybody knowing more?

They were bought out, News corporation obviously wants to use its user-base and do something with it. But I have to say I've wondered about the same question.

I wonder if they earn some revenue from music sold by small independent musicians. The ability to post audio is probably one feature that makes mySpace different to other providers of personal webspace. Plus it's much easier to search for other spaces because www.myspace.com is such a good place to start discovering.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

littleguru wrote:
    Hi,

Anybody knowing more?

MySpace is designed to keep you clicking...anyone can add you as a friend and so you find someone adding you and posting to your page (Often times a bot but whatever), and you want to know why they added you...so what is your first reaction? Click...

With ads their business model I believe is called "Volume Generated" basically they have 1 or 2 ads on a site. As people visit the next "friend" they get page impressions, and ultimately with some click thrus it works.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

With all that personal info and trend data, I'm pretty sure they plan to sell the data. It would be worth a bit to market research companies.

• User profile image
    mtmjc

A thing called Ad's

• User profile image
    W3bbo

mtmjc wrote:
    A thing called Ad's

Child of singular noun "Ad" not specified, illegal statement Smiley

The plural is "Ads" Smiley

• User profile image
    RobA

Ads mostly

I just signed up for Hotmail Plus 14.94 UK sterling and took out the ads - it's a tickbox under settings - let's you remove ads. Better than paying for MSN Premium.. who needs Encarta and a custom browser?

When Windows Live goes mainstream, gadgets and increased space will be costed no doubt and presumably integrated with Vista desktop gadgets..

Rob Atkinson
    Kilkenny, Ireland
    http://spaces.msn.com/knowledgebyte

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.