8 posts

Arrange Icons by...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rowan
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Rowan wrote:

Nifty, I saw this on Digg yesterday but I wasn't able to download the video.

I noticed they used a Tecra M4, same as mine, I wonder if I can ask them for the executable Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hurrrrraaay. We get the piles of the old desktop back. Everybody was so happy with having piles on the desktop. It made each search for a document a real adventure.

• User profile image
    Manip

I understand what they're trying to accomplish and why, I too have thought about similar problems... Here is what I think: you are looking at a 3D representation on a 2D monitor, and you can't interact within the 3D environment using your hands, but you can for items on the desk... So is it a representation of reality or is it a more complex metaphor just like the 2D metaphor it is replacing?

No doubt the researcher will call it less complicated because the users "instinctively understand it from the real world." But in my experience very few users actually "get" the metaphor. The danger is, if the users don't understand the 3D metaphor then you have just made using a computer a 3 harder...

Their pile command (lasso and cross) is very novel. I'm not as keen on their menu on lasso concept... I've seen it before, and found it is difficult for the user to find and keep the menu open that way.

• User profile image
    Angus

That was an interesting video, I don't think that I would ever use such a desktop, but it is an interesting idea. It would be nice to see if this actually increased the productivity of a person, although, I do think lots of specific research would have to go on to see what makes certain documents on a desk more important than others for better productivity to be acheived by this new method.

Thanks for the link.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    mtmjc

There servers are crap just watch on youtube pretty good quality.

• User profile image
    cheong

mtmjc wrote:
    There servers are crap just watch on youtube pretty good quality.

There's a link to the BumpTop's website, where you in turn can find the link for .mov and .wmv download.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    AdityaG

Manip wrote:
    I understand what they're trying to accomplish and why, I too have thought about similar problems... Here is what I think: you are looking at a 3D representation on a 2D monitor, and you can't interact within the 3D environment using your hands, but you can for items on the desk... So is it a representation of reality or is it a more complex metaphor just like the 2D metaphor it is replacing? No doubt the researcher will call it less complicated because the users "instinctively understand it from the real world." But in my experience very few users actually "get" the metaphor. The danger is, if the users don't understand the 3D metaphor then you have just made using a computer a 3 harder... Their pile command (lasso and cross) is very novel. I'm not as keen on their menu on lasso concept... I've seen it before, and found it is difficult for the user to find and keep the menu open that way.
    Adding to what he said. Why are developers pushing the idea that everything needs to be organized on your desktop? Your desktop is just supposed to have few frequently used program shortcuts and maybe a few quick files. I somehow don't see myself spending so much time on my desktop.I am not trying to sound like a total (I need to watch my language) but there is an invention called folders. They are hierarchical. They work. Still a pretty cool prototype though. My favorite has to be the being able to turn documents in a pile to distinguish them.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.