Coffeehouse Thread

77 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WinFS no longer a product

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tom Servo

Windows x64 doesn't support 16bit crap anymore, this is already a start. It would be still nice if they made things leaner and meaner. For instance modularize the functionality and have the loader use a system wide hashtable that tells it where the files are to be found if they're not available on disk already, so that functional packages can be installed on demand instead of cramming my disks full with (old) crap I never use.

And for that matter, since I've been telling it for some time, create a VM to break backwards compatibility. If not a VM, then put it in a seperate subsystem, hell it works fine for WOW64. VM-wise, since it'll be a Windows specific functionality, you can even design stuff to pass-through calls from the virtualized code to the host system, for instance for window operations (GDI and USER <-> new fangled host code) and all that.

• User profile image
    Manip

Win64 gets rid of Win16?! ... WOOT! Big Smile

I haven't got Windows XP 64bit edition so I didn't know that. But it is very good news. I plan on going for a 64 bit edition of Windows Vista (assuming it isn't all on one DVD like it is rumoured to be).

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Yeah, trying to run 16bit applications gets you something like this:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Some 16bit install bootstrappers are being recognized by the WOW64 loader and takes over the job of the bootstrapper.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Manip wrote:
    Win64 gets rid of Win16?! ... WOOT!

Simple reason too: an x64 procesor cannot run 16 bit code when it's in long mode (native 64 bit).

So the x64 editions of Windows no longer include the NTVDM or WoW32. It does include a new WoW layer though, WoW64, which is used for running 32 bit applications on 64 bit Windows.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Tom Servo wrote:
    Yeah, trying to run 16bit applications gets you something like this:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Is edit.com still included in XP-64? Pretty funny ...

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

No, it's from my stale 32bit Windows install that I really need to delete some time.

• User profile image
    messerschmi​tt

Manip wrote:

Apple completely re-write OS X from scratch... They didn't make minor changes...

If you gonna try to correct someone please get the facts before you write, Apple didnt "completely re-write OS X from scratch", they tried that in the 90's and failed (Rhapsody),  then they bought Jobs old project  NeXT, took  a good chunk of open-source  code and  glued it with a nice GUI on top of it and called it MacOS X, thats common knowledge -except for you apparently.

Apart from that you failed to comprehend what i wrote, instead of re-inventing the wheel as Microsoft originally tried with Vista, they should do as Apples does, releasing minor OS-upgrades each year or so but still giving users something new, would they have done that we would have been using  the 6th sequel from XP by now.

• User profile image
    Manip

messerschmitt wrote:

Manip wrote: 

Apple completely re-write OS X from scratch... They didn't make minor changes...

If you gonna try to correct someone please get the facts before you write, Apple didnt "completely re-write OS X from scratch", they tried that in the 90's and failed (Rhapsody),  then they bought Jobs old project  NeXT, took  a good chunk of open-source  code and  glued it with a nice GUI on top of it and called it MacOS X, thats common knowledge -except for you apparently.

Which means that OS X is a complete rewrite from OS 9... As per what I already said.

• User profile image
    messerschmi​tt

Manip wrote:
    Which means that OS X is a complete rewrite from OS 9... As per what I already said.

F'cking moron, go away if your only mission here is to play stupid and troll.

• User profile image
    Manip

messerschmitt wrote:

Manip wrote: Which means that OS X is a complete rewrite from OS 9... As per what I already said.

F'cking moron, go away if your only mission here is to play stupid and troll.

Wow, childish name calling... Good one... 8-)

• User profile image
    eagle

Pity poor little manlip, he has no friends and no life outside of C9, where he spends way too much time......without ever adding value.

WinFS never was a Product, it’s a technology and beta 1 is available for ISV’s to build Products and they will.

• User profile image
    davidofmorr​is

This seems like the right approach to me.  For one thing, the amazing work being done by msresearch (C-omega) and the CLR folks with LINQ are much more compelling for the development community than the object/relational file system story they've been working on for the last decade.

It's much more important (right now) that the work on database entities aligns with LINQ than with Windows search/indexing strategies.  Both are goodness, but LINQ presents developers with new capabilities as well as a paradigm shift that the rest of the industry will have to embrace to remain relevant - it's that big!

Also, there is a basic tension between pushing linking and content-type information down into the file system, and supporting the Web, which already has the linking and content-type awareness that an object file system is supposed to bring to the local system.

Finally, the reason that it's so much easier to search the Web than your desktop computer is that there are banks of powerful servers fully dedicated to scanning and indexing the Web.  Collaboration server and related technologies are a better way to bring Web style linking and content-type awareness to the intranet, workgroup and finally to the desktop.

• User profile image
    eagle
  • User profile image
    Cairo

So each ISV will have to bundle and install "WinFS" separately on people's computers?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Cairo wrote:
    So each ISV will have to bundle and install "WinFS" separately on people's computers?

What install? There is no install any more.

• User profile image
    Cairo

blowdart wrote:

Cairo wrote:So each ISV will have to bundle and install "WinFS" separately on people's computers?

What install? There is no install any more.

Are you referring to this?

"With most of our effort now working towards productizing mature aspects of the WinFS project into SQL and ADO.NET, we do not need to deliver a separate WinFS offering. "

I'm having trouble reconciling that with Eagle's cheerleading...

Is WinFS "MDAC 3.0"?

• User profile image
    cain

Whenever I see people complaining about how long Vista has taken, I can't help thinking back to when XP was released when everybody was complaining about how MS kept releaseing new operating systems every two or three years 'forcing' everyone to upgrade, and how they wished they'd slow down the release schedule a bit, maybe one new release every five or six years or so...  (and how long has it between between XP and Vista?)

People are going to complain no matter what MS do, so I say they should just do whatever the **** they want.

• User profile image
    staceyw

messerschmitt wrote:

Manip wrote: 

Apart from that you failed to comprehend what i wrote, instead of re-inventing the wheel as Microsoft originally tried with Vista, they should do as Apples does, releasing minor OS-upgrades each year or so but still giving users something new, would they have done that we would have been using  the 6th sequel from XP by now.

That is what they did.  Vista is built on 2000 SR1 OS.  They have added/changed on that and the WPF/WCF stuff can run on Vista or XP.  So it was not the whole OS wheel.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.