Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Vista 5456 on Connect

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MvTCracker

littleguru wrote:
    Guys, I'd like to test the new build... Somebody from Microsoft here, that could enter me in the connect-Vista-program? That would be great!!

me 2:P

• User profile image
    irascian

Sven Groot wrote:

Sorry, but that's not true.

And 5456 isn't anywhere near the quality of beta 2.

Interesting viewpoint.

I must admit that after previous experiences I'd given up on Vista until the final release becomes available - too much pressure on time from other areas.

But when a couple of colleagues who's opinions I respect suffered Beta 2 and then downloaded 5456, advising that 5456 was in much better shape, I decided to give Vista another shot.

The rather hasty announcement, seemingly out of the blue, at the end of last week that Beta 2 was being withdrawn, and the subsequent "It's no longer available" seemed to imply my colleagues' impressions were correct and that maybe the beta had been pulled because it just wasn't ready for public beta testing, but I'll bow to your wider experience and admit I may have read too much into the withdrawal.

Like I said, Vista looks a long way from being ready for primetime when even Microsoft's own flagship software won't install correctly on it (I won't even get started on all the driver issues). I'll take your word for it (previous posts) that this is "business as usual" for Microsoft O.S. es but have to say I don't remember the problem with eg NT4 beta or even Win 2000 beta.

• User profile image
    jamie

paul thurrott (winsupersite) said 5456 is "what beta 2 should have been" also.

..it does have list view Wink   * i havent loaded this build yet - ..soon.

*also - on the 3 builds i have loaded on laptop - ALL have a problem with the wireless modem/setup.  I have to click through 4 or 5 windows about "cannot find this etc"  "ignore" ..etc then i pop the card out - put it back in - voila - it all works.  Hopefully this will be fixed in this build.

• User profile image
    MvTCracker

irascian wrote:

Sven Groot wrote: 
    Sorry, but that's not true.

And 5456 isn't anywhere near the quality of beta 2.

Interesting viewpoint.

I must admit that after previous experiences I'd given up on Vista until the final release becomes available - too much pressure on time from other areas.

But when a couple of colleagues who's opinions I respect suffered Beta 2 and then downloaded 5456, advising that 5456 was in much better shape, I decided to give Vista another shot.

The rather hasty announcement, seemingly out of the blue, at the end of last week that Beta 2 was being withdrawn, and the subsequent "It's no longer available" seemed to imply my colleagues' impressions were correct and that maybe the beta had been pulled because it just wasn't ready for public beta testing, but I'll bow to your wider experience and admit I may have read too much into the withdrawal.

Like I said, Vista looks a long way from being ready for primetime when even Microsoft's own flagship software won't install correctly on it (I won't even get started on all the driver issues). I'll take your word for it (previous posts) that this is "business as usual" for Microsoft O.S. es but have to say I don't remember the problem with eg NT4 beta or even Win 2000 beta.

I think windows vista beta 2 is awesome
    the uac prompts:D
    the nice network center:D
    media center:D
    windows media player and ie7:D
    windows image back ups:D

-the side bar dose need more and better gadgets
    -performance could be better but it was good
    -install speed was about the same as windows xp so it was not bad

-I agree with driver problems but there are way to many different companys and products......they still should have fixed the sound problems with the creative soundblaster and ac 97
    Driver list:
    http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?showtopic=3572

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://blogs.technet.com/jesper_johansson/archive/2006/06/22/438316.aspx

" couldn't tell you how many times I have either had the question "how do I turn off User Account Control" or heard the statement "boy, I sure hate all those annoying user account control popups in Vista."

Yeah, security sucks, it gets in the way of doing things, some bad, some good, but that's a fact of life. The other fact is that User Account Control (UAC) is one of the most important ways that we hope to protect people in Windows Vista. I have many times told the story about how Steve (Riley) and I were at an event when he gets a call from his wife asking for help with her computer. Apparently it was getting all sorts of popups, ads, and other weirdness; clear signs of spyware. He stated that he'd fix it when he got home. When he did he downloaded and ran all kinds of cleaners, and then called me with the astonishing results."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopdeployment/default.mspx

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie wrote:
    paul thurrott (winsupersite) said 5456 is "what beta 2 should have been" also.

How can they say that? Superficially, after about an hour of using it, 5456 looked better, yes (besides the obvious visual glitches) and indeed there are many improvements.

But beta 2 I could use as my primary OS for a month. Now I'm back in XP because 5456's glitches are driving me nuts.

So far Vista doesn't seem very different than Win2k to me. I came in on Win2k at beta 3, and at that point my video card didn't work and audio barely worked. From a driver standpoint, Vista is giving me significantly less issues than Win2k (XP was much better but since that could just run the Win2k drivers in almost all cases it's to be expected).

• User profile image
    MikeyUSC

I'm installing VS 2005 from a mounted ISO, and it complains about XP Service pack 2 not being installed.. anyone else seeing this?  This is on a Fresh Install of 5456.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.