Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

200 England fans arrested

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eagle

More than 200 England fans have been arrested after trouble flared again at the World Cup.

At least one hundred of them were detained by riot police in Stuttgart's main square, the Schlossplatz.

English and German supporters were involved in clashes following Germany's win over Sweden this afternoon.

They threw bottles and plastic chairs and tables at each other, injuring five German fans.

Tonight's arrests come after 122 England fans were detained in Stuttgart last night.

Nearly half of those arrested have been ordered to be detained until Monday morning.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Had I been there it probably would have been 200 England fans, and 1 American who was just contributing....

Honesly eagle why do you post stuff like this? And can you please fix the font, it's large when it doesn't need to be. Also wanna link to the original article?

• User profile image
    eagle

You couldn’t afford to go to the World Cup, transportation, accommodation, food and drink cost lots of Euros.

Read what happened, German fans were in a good mood they just won a big match.

• User profile image
    mtmjc

Great! A post i can read without my glasses!

• User profile image
    BryanF

Here in a proper society like America, we know well enough to keep all of our violent hooligans restricted to a small population of little league dads!

j/k Big Smile

• User profile image
    AndyC

eagle wrote:

Video footage seemed to suggest that it was German fans who started the incident by throwing chairs and bottles at the England fans.

Its still a sad day though, why oh why do people have to cause so much trouble over such a silly game?

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Such loud text, how rude, Eagle.

It's been documented how hooligans will arrange to meet for fights over the internet and through text messaging phones...

I wonder if this was a planned exhibition?

• User profile image
    mattcampbell

CNN Reported 300 arrested and that there are going to be 10,000 fans a tomorrows game and 1,800 officers.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Angus

AndyC wrote:

eagle wrote:

Video footage seemed to suggest that it was German fans who started the incident by throwing chairs and bottles at the England fans.

Its still a sad day though, why oh why do people have to cause so much trouble over such a silly game?

Yeah, the Germans were accredited with the starting of the incident, or at least the news said that, and the video footage suggested it. The head of the German police force said both parties were to blame which is true as both retaliated.

All of the people arrested have been released, they are banned from going into the city centre, but not the stadium so it can't have been all that bad or they would have been detained for longer.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    irascian

Please. Do. Not. Feed. The. Troll.

If everyone took Eagle as their example we'd all be making endless "shouty" large font posts every time some tiny minority of American society or Irish society did something that anybody with any intelligence could see was barbaric behaviour.

We'd have a Channel 9 forum that had hundreds of posts a day that did absolutely nothing other than stir up endless flames and inter-country rivalries.

There is nothing to see here, other than Eagle proving yet again what a bigoted idiot he is. As if his constant name dropping and arrogance weren't enough to put up with already.

I've no idea what he's like in real life but at the moment, based on his online presence,  I see him as the "Paris Hilton" of the Channel 9 world - ligging and freeloading everywhere, spreading his own peculiar brand of arrogance and bile, not realising that behind his back (and sometimes in front of it) people are going "What a total arse. Why are people giving him any publicity?!".

Move along please. Ding. Ding.

• User profile image
    blowdart

irascian wrote:

what a bigoted idiot he is

Oh you're too polite. I always thought brain dead racist myself.

• User profile image
    eagle

I find it a disgrace that the England fans have let down their country again. Every time they go to a major tournament they are involved in violence. I know the old cliche ' Its only a very small minority' and ' we were provoked by locals/police/rival fans' but surely the blame must lie with the England fans as the trouble always seems to crop up where ever they are
    Paul , Edinburgh

Reply from the BBC's site.

• User profile image
    Angus

eagle wrote:
    I find it a disgrace that the England fans have let down their country again. Every time they go to a major tournament they are involved in violence. I know the old cliche ' Its only a very small minority' and ' we were provoked by locals/police/rival fans' but surely the blame must lie with the England fans as the trouble always seems to crop up where ever they are
    Paul , Edinburgh

Reply from the BBC's site.

I don't want to start an argument, but 'Paul from Edinburgh' obviously forgot to mention the fact an adult of his own country punched a 7 year old boy in the head because he wore an England football shirt.

As I said before I don't want to start an arguemnt, I would alos like to say, I have nothing against Scottish people (a lot of my family is Scottish), my point is, you can take a quote from anywhere and use it without any regard to recent events to show a point.

Also, in every country there are people who will behave in a way that is considered not acceptable, when a large group of people are placed in an area where there is strong rivalry, it is more likely that these people will behave in an unacceptable way, if they do, they will probably influence others who will join in. This is visible in any microcosm of a society, schools are good examples.

I do agree that England fans were in the wrong to retaliate to the German fans, but as the head of the police in Germany said, it was the fault of both parties.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    cain

Manip wrote:
    Football fans (English, German, et al) are scam ... We should revoke all their passports and leave them there...

Yes, leaving the German fans stranded in Germany would be a very good punishment Wink

Anyway, I don't know much about what happened between the English and German fans in this incident, but at all the World Cup events I've been to over the past couple of weeks the fans from every country have gotten along great, been having a good time and even made some friends from other countries like that silly slogan says we should be Smiley.  But maybe that's just because there have been lots of Australians at all the things I've gone to and we do a good job of keeping everyone else calm and friendly Smiley.

• User profile image
    Manip

Football fans (English, German, et al) are scum ... We should revoke all their passports and leave them there...

• User profile image
    eagle

STUTTGART, Germany (AP) -- Fears of fan violence fizzled Sunday as tens of thousands of raucous English supporters peacefully celebrated their team's advance to the World Cup quarterfinals under a heavy police presence.

Beer, expletives and patriotic songs flowed freely -- but an evening downpour and victory helped restrain the crowds.

It was a contrast to Saturday, when riot police arrested more than 500 English who hurled bottles and plastic chairs in separate outbursts.

In the free open-air viewing area Sunday, middle-aged couples and families with children -- some carrying the German flag -- mingled with fans clad in flags or walking around shirtless to bare patriotic tattoos.

''It's a party. We're here to have fun,'' whooped Kevin Penfold as he swapped his red England shirt for an Ecuadorean one worn by Ana Cecilia Pinos Flores, who struggled to put on her sweat-soaked acquisition.

Nearby, an English fan with his chest hairs dyed ginger and shaved in the shape of a cross grinned benignly in an alcoholic daze as his friends covered him in a flag. Others bellowed songs about downing German bombers in World War II.

Nearly 2,000 police officers patrolled this normally pristine southern city, a force boosted by hooligan experts from England. It was a model of cooperation that so far this World Cup has helped prevent widespread trouble.

Police spokesman Olaf Petersen said nine fans were arrested for minor public order offenses. Authorities estimated that 30,000 English supporters watched the match in the downtown area, with tens of thousands more inside the stadium.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    Football fans (English, German, et al) are scum ... We should revoke all their passports and leave them there...

Fans != Hooligans

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.