Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ClearType on TabletPCs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    gallo

I've never been a fan of ClearType when I was using my old 15inch 1024x768 notebook. The subpixels were just too big for my taste and the positive effect of subpixel rendering got lost for me. Now I've got a new 14inch notebook with a 1400x1050 resolution. ClearType actually looks fine enough on it for me to give it a try.

The problem is that the new notebook is a TabletPC which means that as soon as I change the screens orientation, the subpixels are in the wrong order and ClearType looks bad. And it doesn't work for vertical orientations.

I don't suppose Windows XP will get an update for this problem, but how about Vista? Will the Vista ClearType be orientation aware? So far I've only tried the Office 2007 Beta 2 and the problem exists there. Is there a way to turn ClearType off in Vista and Office 2007?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

My Tecra M4 (still in repairs for the past 2 months, grrrr) runs with cleartype (at 1400x1050, same as yours) and looks fine in both orientations.

...which I'm pleasantly surprised at, actually.

• User profile image
    gallo

Actually I have a Tecra M4 as well - there's not so many TabletPCs with that display resolution out there Wink Mine has been in repair as well - GPU went too hot Sad Do you have the Toshiba orientation awareness utility installed on your machine or only what comes with windows?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

gallo wrote:
    Actually I have a Tecra M4 as well - there's not so many TabletPCs with that display resolution out there Wink Mine has been in repair as well - GPU went too hot Sad Do you have the Toshiba orientation awareness utility installed on your machine or only what comes with windows?

I removed anything with "Toshiba" in its name when I got the thing (as well as all the other bundleware, but it was nothing compared to what came with my Vaio)

...then I realised I had to re-install Toshiba's Bluetooth stack.

I actually don't know how to restore the accelerometer program, I could probably write a task-switcher program based on it to counter this little meme.

Mine's been in repairs because of a weak display hinge (twice now, first time I fixed it myself).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.