Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

HTML email in Outlook

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Scruffy

Sometime ago I stopped using Outlook for my email because MS removed the abilitiy to turn off receiving HTML emails.  I couldn't believe MS would ever do such a thing... but they did.  I have not used it for some time now and am wondering if this is still the case?

I am not talking about sending html emails.... I am talking about receiving html formatted emails. 

In addition to this, of what benefit was it to customers to remove that functionality?

Love to hear your view on this one!

• User profile image
    Cider

I don't think you can.  However, Outlook Express, as of XP Service Pack 2 mirrors the very sensible default of Outlook and blocks HTML content such as images by default.  About time too.

Me, I would just like Outlook to cope with IMAP properly.  Its as close to a showstopper at our organisation as you can get.  Of course, Microsoft wont fix it, because they are only interested in selling Exchange as a total system, and instead just instruct their MVPs to come out with the hackneyed response that the reason why OE copes with IMAP properly and Oulook doesn't, is "performance related".

• User profile image
    verbs_of_li​fe

In Outlook 2003 there is an option for either html mail or not - your choice.

• User profile image
    Scruffy

verbs_of_life wrote:
    In Outlook 2003 there is an option for either html mail or not - your choice.

So my question is why did they remove the ability to turn it off.... only to later add it back in?

I get it, upgrades!

• User profile image
    msemack

Scruffy wrote:

So my question is why did they remove the ability to turn it off.... only to later add it back in?

I get it, upgrades!

The option was there in Outlook XP, FYI.  You had to set a registry value to do it, though.

Before that, I don't remember a version of Outlook having this feature.  What older version of Outlook do you remember this feature being in?

• User profile image
    spiderLab

I still use Outlook 2000, the feature is not there,

BTW The whole confiugration thing in the 2000 version looks like a mess.

To many options spread over n number of dialogs.

• User profile image
    msemack

For those who are interested, here is how to turn off HTML mail in Outlook XP (2002).
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307594

Here's how to do it in Outlook 2003.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;831607

As another user has posted, this feature is missing from Outlook 2000.  In fact, it was added to Outlook XP by a service pack after it was released.

Honestly, I'm surprised Microsoft didn't backport this feature to Outlook 2000.  There are enough customers out there still using Outlook 2000 that would probably be happy with this feature.

Just one note...  HTML e-mail isn't the massive security hole that some mis-informed people make it out to be.  It doesn't realate to the outbreak of e-mail viruses plaguing networks today.  There were some bugs in HTML e-mail that allowed messages to do nasty stuff, but that was fixed long ago.

As long as your security patches are up to date, you are safe from attacks.  The worst you have to worry about is spammers embedding images into an HTML e-mail to confirm the message was actually "read".

• User profile image
    spiderLab

Well, it can't install trojans and viruses, but
    With a JavaScript, you can make IE do a lot of realy annoying stuff.

<script language="JavaScript">

var j = 100000000;
    for (var i=0; i < j; i++) {
     alert('SpiderLab is the coolest dude on earth!');
    }

</script>

T

• User profile image
    msemack

Not at the default settings in Outlook.  Incomming HTML e-mail runs in the "restricted" zone, where scripting is blocked.

Now, if a user screws with the "Security" tab in Outlook, then your script can certainly run and be a pain.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.