Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Hey Microsoft, fix Outlook 2003...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Loadsgood

Just going through my junk email box in Outlook and deleting all the junk. This is the problem, when I click on one of the junk emails to delete it I have to see the email in that horrid box to the right of the list. Can you please remove the view-when-you-click part of Outlook '03 in just the junk email section. Because I know that I will be able to tell if it is junk or not when I look at the subject line/email address that it came from.

* Now this will test whether or not Microsoft are listening*

• User profile image
    TristanK

The Reading Pane is already a per-folder preference!

To turn it off in the Junk Mail folder, while you're in there:

Go View -> Reading Pane -> Off

And you're done.

• User profile image
    PeterF

Loadsgood wrote:

* Now this will test whether or not Microsoft are listening*

I guess you got the answer Wink

Thanks Tristan, it was not the most intuative feature to find out by yourself, but it should have been the default option for that folder. So no more p* enlargements adds being previewed Tongue Out

• User profile image
    TristanK

Hey, what's junk to you is all the entertainment I get! And they really work! Wink Er, I'm told.

• User profile image
    Pat Rice

But once I've disabled the reading pane, will it stay disabled?

In previous versions of Outlook, the preview pane re-enabled itself whenever I created a new folder, and autopreview never would stay off.

In Outlook, "preview" == "virus executor", so it's best left off.

One wonders who at Microsoft decided it would be a great idea to hand complete control of the machine over to any incoming mail message that might request it.

"But...but...our customers asked for that feature!"

Which customers? And why didn't the 'softies tell them it was a dumb idea?

• User profile image
    jamie

anyone no how to turn off the "feature" in 2003 that makes the reply text 3 times the size it actually is?

it says Tahoma 10 point - but its kindergarten size

also - anyone no why when you switch to "html mode" all the text in your document turns into Courier - all formating - when it was TAHOMA before?

also - as discussed before - i want to drag 10 just emails at a time into the junk mail folder - and have it be smart enough to know i want these address of all ten added to the junk mail filter

this right clicking every spam to add it is maddening!!!
    (ie; loading the chinese charater set? no! - 30 second lag before i can delete

and lastly i want to turn on SHOW INLINE JPGS
    (there is a huge thread on this - that no one was able to show that hard could be done)

*i used express for years - finally switched to 2003 cause the preview pane was implimented correctly ( beside messages)
    but i am thinking of going back due to above issues

• User profile image
    jonathanh

jamie wrote:
    anyone no how to turn off the "feature" in 2003 that makes the reply text 3 times the size it actually is?

it says Tahoma 10 point - but its kindergarten size
    Did you change your zoom settings? Hold down Ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel to increase or decrease text size (there's undoubtedly some other way to do it, but that's the one I use)

jamie wrote:
    also - anyone no why when you switch to "html mode" all the text in your document turns into Courier - all formating - when it was TAHOMA before?
    You haven't given enough info to debug - e.g. what mode did you change *from*? Do you have Courier as your default font?  (Tools -> Options -> Mail Format -> Fonts)

jamie wrote:
    also - as discussed before - i want to drag 10 just emails at a time into the junk mail folder - and have it be smart enough to know i want these address of all ten added to the junk mail filter

this right clicking every spam to add it is maddening!!!
    (ie; loading the chinese charater set? no! - 30 second lag before i can delete
    Haven't hit this, but not enough spam gets through our Exchange filters for me to need the feature. Make sure you're running the latest free service pack (SP1) for Office 2003. Then go to Junk Mail Options, and on the International tab you can block entire top-level domains, and/or all emails that arrive in certain encodings (e.g. Chinese character set).

jamie wrote:
    and lastly i want to turn on SHOW INLINE JPGS
    (there is a huge thread on this - that no one was able to show that hard could be done)
    Most people like the new behavior of it being off by default, since that stops spammers from using embedded web-bug images to track whether your email address is valid. To get the old behavior back, right-click on the "Click here to download pictures" bar, select Settings, and then unselect all the checkboxes we put there to protect you from the mean ol' internet.

• User profile image
    jamie

1. thanks Jonathanh - the cntrl zoom stopped the huge fonts on reply - although i dont remember ever setting this.. must have been my mistake

2.  i didnt change the default font - so if its courier then thats how it shipped. All i know is that when i reply to an email - that may have all tahoma or verdana - and i click the grayed out html bar - and am prompted to switch to html mode - the entire email goes to courier - so i select all to put it back to a normal font
    * i guess im asking why on earth is courier the default - and mainly - what ever is below - that ive been sent - leave the formatting alone - switch to html should be for the NEW text i want to add above

3. every email is from a different domain.. just want to grab all spam and drag into spam folder. would that not mean that i think all these emails are spam?  why must i individually right click/add to junk - for each one?

4.  "re: using embedded web-bug images"  i didnt say that - i said local images.  If the image is in the email - on your machine - no http - why can it not display - like express did it?  a local jpg cannot carry a virus

• User profile image
    jonathanh

2. Yup, I think Courier is the default. I can't repro your problem. Is the message that you're replying to in rich-text format, plain text, or HTML?

3. Dunno, ask the Outlook guys. That does seem like an obvious feature to add.

4. Works for me. I can compose an email, do an Insert->Image, and have it show up inline when it's received, both in rich-text format and HTML. Are you expecting attachments (which are NOT the same as inline images) to show inline?

• User profile image
    jamie

re 4.  BY GOD IT WORKED !

here's what i was doing:

in outlook express id drag in images - say 5 logo designs all JPG

the reciever would get an email - displaying all the jpgs in a row - viewable

so i did this same method in outlook - but it makes them all attachments

i was unaware that i had to click insert image - as the methodology has changed action wise

thanks jonathanh

* although if i drag an image into an open reply message - where the cursor is flashing - it should put the image there

* basically i think outlook needs drag and drop features of express for both junk mail ( multiple drop) and inline images - *if dropped at cursor - display in message

• User profile image
    jamie

I just tried using the "insert/picture" function in Outlook to send logos to a client

Outlook apparently decided to make all the jpgs LOW quality - in other words - they looked horrific

I searched in options everywhere for Jpg quality settings but couldnt find it

I also tried searching help for jpg / jpeg / quality
    nothing

anyone know?

• User profile image
    jamie

anyone?

• User profile image
    Karim

jamie wrote:
    2.  i didnt change the default font - so if its courier then thats how it shipped. All i know is that when i reply to an email - that may have all tahoma or verdana - and i click the grayed out html bar - and am prompted to switch to html mode - the entire email goes to courier - so i select all to put it back to a normal font
    * i guess im asking why on earth is courier the default - and mainly - what ever is below - that ive been sent - leave the formatting alone - switch to html should be for the NEW text i want to add above

I've actually only seen this happen when I reply to an email that was originally sent in *plain text*.  When I switch to HTML, Outlook then switches the font to Courier New.  I assume this is to preserve the formatting of the original email.

For example, people sometimes send tables in plain text:

Jan    Feb     Mar
    14     27      19

If you convert that to a proportional font, the columns don't line up anymore:

Jan    Feb     Mar
    14     27      19

If I reply to an email that was originally sent in HTML, Outlook retains my font choices.

• User profile image
    Karim

jamie wrote:
    I just tried using the "insert/picture" function in Outlook to send logos to a client

Outlook apparently decided to make all the jpgs LOW quality - in other words - they looked horrific

I searched in options everywhere for Jpg quality settings but couldnt find it

I also tried searching help for jpg / jpeg / quality
    nothing

anyone know?

Are you using Word as your email editor?

I am using Word as my email editor, and when I insert a picture, then click on the picture so that it's selected, I see the Picture toolbar.

On the Picture toolbar, the fifth button from the right is the "Compress Pictures" button.

Clicking that brings up a dialog that allows you to change the resolutions and compression on either 1) the currently selected image, or 2) all the images in the document (email).

The resolution choices are

1) Web/screen (96 dpi)
    2) Print (200 dpi)
    3) No change

You can also delete cropped areas of pictures in the same dialog.

Does this help...?

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Hey Keskos, no flames allowed on any of my posts.

• User profile image
    Keskos

Ok, then, what's the use of word in real life? I don't find a particular use for it. Who uses these word documents. I see a use for excel and powerpoint, but who does use word?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.