Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

how many lines of code are in your biggest program?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

[To Charles: for The Poll]
    and how many lines of code are in your day-to-day programs?

• User profile image
    Beetlejuice

in 2002-2003 i use Visual Studio 6 - Visual C++, at that time, i think, was more line in code ~ 10000.
    In C# programm code line numbers not much ~ 400-600.
    But i think i dont have seriously project in Visual Studio, not for a while yet...
    In PHP > 10000 numbers...
    In Lotus < 1000 Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

mine was < 5000 in C++, Managed Extensions, 2 years ago

• User profile image
    Harlequin

One internal webapp "page" here has 2,000 lines of front-end and 10,000+ lines of C#

Luckily when it was started we started using a nice full naming convention, like:
    TextBoxFirstName
    ...instead of....
    txtFName

Easier to read in all of the lines

#region
    #endregion
    ...is a godsend too

• User profile image
    Manip

Over 8,000 (in C / C++) ... I then scrapped it and rewrote it in under 2,000 lines (in C++)... 

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

Harlequin wrote:

#region
    #endregion
    ...is a godsend too

AMEN!...

Current web App in ASP.Net and VB...... 10,000+ (i know its more but i don't care to go find out... ok i don't want to know actually)

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

My Euphoria programs are usually under 500 lines. I mostly create small libraries and such but am pondering the idea of making a 2D shooter with the Allegro graphics library. Big Smile

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    Galapagos​Niltch

hey guys, it's not the size of your program, its the elegance of your algorithms.  At least thats what my girlfriend tells me in a sweet, consoling and somewhat codescending voice.

Perplexed

• User profile image
    steel300

Work projects easily extend past 100k mark regardless of the language they were written in. My largest personal project was somewhere near 60k lines of code.

• User profile image
    Angus

GalapagosNiltch wrote:
    hey guys, it's not the size of your program, its the elegance of your algorithms.  At least thats what my girlfriend tells me in a sweet, consoling and somewhat codescending voice.

That's great. Joke of the day. Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Manip

steel300 wrote:
      My largest personal project was somewhere near 60k lines of code.

Considering on average most coders can write a maximum of 18,000 lines of code per year I have a lot of trouble believing that.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Well I think that LOC is kind of an old and not very good measure really.

and Program as in one exe file or in a system??

for example my recent work is a system I built so it has LOC in:

SQL procs
    SQL CLR for a couple of things
    C# in each of:

asp.net pages (one app for management, another for end-users)
    asp.net web services ( about 10 "services" some have only 1 or 2 methods a few have a crapload of methods.

a windows click-once smart client app

and a Ce 4.1 .net cf 1.1 app.

do you want the total LOC or broken down??

Big Smile

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:

steel300 wrote:  My largest personal project was somewhere near 60k lines of code.

Considering on average most coders can write a maximum of 18,000 lines of code per year I have a lot of trouble believing that.

Wtf!

An DAL I wrote by hand was about 1,500 lines long, an engine I wrote is about 3,000 lines, I think a system I wrote totalled 10,000 lines, and that was about 5 month's work.

...all done during my spare time, so I don't know where you're pulling the "18,000" figure from. Some of Doom3's classes are 7,000 lines each.

• User profile image
    littleguru

> 100000 - C# code.

• User profile image
    Manip

W3bbo wrote:
    Wtf!

At DAL I wrote by hand was about 1,500 lines long, an engine I wrote is about 3,000 lines, I think a system I wrote totalled 10,000 lines, and that was about 5 month's work.

...all done during my spare time, so I don't know where you're pulling the "18,000" figure from. Some of Doom3's classes are 7,000 lines each.

The number of lines you write per day gets less and less the larger the project gets, so for a project of 60,000 we are talking about ten lines of bug free code per day.

• User profile image
    figuerres

W3bbo wrote:

Manip wrote: 
    steel300 wrote:   My largest personal project was somewhere near 60k lines of code.

Wtf!

An DAL I wrote by hand was about 1,500 lines long, an engine I wrote is about 3,000 lines, I think a system I wrote totalled 10,000 lines, and that was about 5 month's work.

he said "on average" and that kind of thing leaves a huge amount of room  for plaing with the numbers....

like: do we count comments?
    do we count using lines ?
    do we count .... ???

and what is an "Average" programmer??
    at one end you have the "rockstar" kind and at the other you have the slightly able script-hack...

and in the middle there are sooooo many layers, like say count the LOC for a device driver with big chunks of asmbly code....
    lot of lines but very small amount of "work" done per line.
    and then look at a .net app where 5 lines can do tons of work.

so like I mentioned -- LOC is not a very good metric, never was really, but it makes for some good bragging -- I did 50K Locs !!
    you only did 5K LOCS
    etc...

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Manip wrote:
    The number of lines you write per day gets less and less the larger the project gets, so for a project of 60,000 we are talking about ten lines of bug free code per day.

Well that's true for any good project where you use real OO design. it takes time in the beginning to make the objects then as the projects grow and the objects grow, your code for accessing these big purdy new objects becomes less and less. Until one day near the end you can write:
    new Work.Start();
    ...then leave home early Smiley

• User profile image
    BlackTiger

What a stupid way to get "project size"! "Lines of code" means nothing! Especially if that lines are lines of BS.

I can write 1000 lines which will do nothing or write 10 lines which will do A LOT.

It's encredibly stupid to calculate number of lines. And I hate people who counting them.

I'm just doing my job, not calculating lines.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.