Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google: That's my layout, now hand over your domain Mister!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    lars

"The takedown notice was rather curious in its use of American law, given that the site is at a Belgian web address, but it appears as though the server itself is hosted in Houston, Texas. [...] They insist not only that the parody stop, but that the domain be transferred to Google. See, it's all fun and games until you make a parody of a Google site.

If Microsoft did this, half of the planet would explode. Don't be evil, mm'kay!"

Google puts the hammer down on Google parodies

• User profile image
    jamie

ms did do this already to mike rowe soft .com

this was a guys name - not even a parady - and it looked nothing like ms.com

these google sites - have ripped off the look, layout, branding , colours and even bevels - to capitalise on Google brand - parody or not - could be confusing to users ( thinking the site is somehow accociated with google)

so - my answer is:

google sites shut down: not evil
    microsoft site shut down: evil

• User profile image
    jonathanh

Somehow I doubt that the Belgian guys will get Google's equivalent of the tour of the Microsoft campus, MSDN subscription, free training courses, free xBox, yadda yadda yadda that Mike Rowe got...

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

In a project on search engines, one that was found was actually booble dot com. (I refuse hyperlinking to it..). It was, as you can imagine, an adult search engine, ripped off 100% from Google and classified themselves as a Parody.

Interesting, isn't it? Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery?

BTW, the project was not mine, before you ask.. Smiley

• User profile image
    Jaz

to be honest i don't think mike rowe deserved any of the stuff he got

• User profile image
    jamie

jonathanh wrote:

Somehow I doubt that the Belgian guys will get Google's equivalent of the tour of the Microsoft campus, MSDN subscription, free training courses, free xBox, yadda yadda yadda that Mike Rowe got...

all that happened after the fact to save MS face - as the story was everywhere - if you remember - before those concessions were offered

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Jaz wrote:
    to be honest i don't think mike rowe deserved any of the stuff he got

I think Mike Rowe deserved to keep his domain name.

That was clearly a case of a couple of lawyers who had too much caffeine and too little to do.

• User profile image
    Cider

jamie wrote:
    jonathanh wrote:

all that happened after the fact to save MS face - as the story was everywhere - if you remember - before those concessions were offered

Mike Rowe deserved nothing.  He deliberately got that domain because it would sound like Microsoft.com, then attempted to sell that domain to Microsoft for $10,000 and then, when he didn't get that, went to the press to try and bloody Microsoft's nose.  The only thing the kid deserved was a good hard slap.

• User profile image
    jamie

He deliberately got that domain because it would sound like Microsoft.com,

true - as it was his name! = fun/cool - non-malicious
    it was also spelled differently

then attempted to sell that domain to Microsoft for $10,000

AFTER the lawyers said to surrender domain that he had a site on that would need to be re-done - plus cards and letterhead etc

and then, when he didn't get that, went to the press to try and bloody Microsoft's nose. 

nope - the press themselves picked up on this david goliath story and ran it everywhere - hence the "free gifts" and backpeddling over suing a microsft developer no less

• User profile image
    harumscarum

*runs to register m-eyecrowsoft.com*

• User profile image
    Keskos

Cider wrote:
    jamie wrote:
    jonathanh wrote:

Mike Rowe deserved nothing.  He deliberately got that domain because it would sound like Microsoft.com, then attempted to sell that domain to Microsoft for $10,000 and then, when he didn't get that, went to the press to try and bloody Microsoft's nose.  The only thing the kid deserved was a good hard slap.

Agreed. He is just too smart to know what's going on. Only Microsoft bashers found the kid right.

Btw, jamie, the guy did contacted with the press and released the documents. The press didn't go and ask him if someone contacted him.

• User profile image
    jamie

"Only Microsoft bashers found the kid right. "

i like ms but thought them wrong in this case

"Btw, jamie, the guy did contacted with the press and released the documents."

it was after the fact (lawyers) = self defence

and he didnt go to the press - he posted and photographed the MS lawyer stuff and put it on HIS site - and asked what he should do

• User profile image
    jamie

because he already had created a website business cards etc which all needed replacing

i followed this when it happened.. even his bloggings on his site

he was polite and cordial throughout
    thanking everyone for the support - and even explaining himself continually in regards to " squatting / extortion" alegations

i think most thought he was being stright up and ms was overreacting - hence the presents from ms much later

• User profile image
    lars

jamie wrote:
    ms did do this already to mike rowe soft .com
    this was a guys name - not even a parady -

Those that can't tell the difference between "Microsoft.com" and "Mikerowesoft.com" should be sent back to school to brush up on their reading and typing fundamentals.

jamie wrote:
    and it looked nothing like ms.com

Then my opinion is that Microsoft should have left the kid alone. After the fact, they did what was right and cut the kid some slack. Kudos to Microsoft. I doubt if Google will do the same.

jamie wrote:

these google sites - have ripped off the look, layout, branding , colours and even bevels - to capitalise on Google brand - parody or not - could be confusing to users ( thinking the site is somehow accociated with google)

If it could easily be mistaken for Google, I think Google have the right to ask that the site owner to change the site make the difference clear. But I don't think that Google have the excusive right to that "look and feel". People have tried that already with GUIs. In any case, Google should keep their grabby little hands of the domain name. If they want every domain that is a misspelling of Google they should go ahead and fork up the money to register it themselves in the first place.

• User profile image
    jamie

what would have been interesting is if the kids name was

Mike Rosoft

and he registered - his name - mikerosoft.com

just as i have jamiegrant.com

what would win?

your name or a corp?

how much to sell your name?

so if MS was theoretically called Jameegrant Inc
    and i registered jamiegrant - before they did
    it should be my domain

• User profile image
    Jaz

lars wrote:

Those that can't tell the difference between "Microsoft.com" and "Mikerowesoft.com" should be sent back to school to brush up on their reading and typing fundamentals.

Right whatever thats a poor arguement, a corporation has to protect their identity, if you set up wall mart, wal mart will have a go at you because it's very similar to their trademark.  Last time i checked Mike Rowe was called exactly that,  not Mike RoweSoft, he knew exactly what he was doing. 

And if i believe correctly he made websites, not software.  He deserved nothing from MS.  He should not have tried to sell the domain to MS.

• User profile image
    Manip

In my opinion Microsoft never had a case anyway. 'soft' is a general term ie 'software'.

Microsoft wasn't even the first to use 'soft' in their company name.

If I received the letter I would have just binned it and let them take me to court.

edit: corrected for incorrect information (dam you google!)

• User profile image
    lars

It may sound the same. Still the browser don't care. It is not like you would end up on the wrong one because you made a typo. Unless you're really really drunk. Smiley

About selling the domain, did he approach Microsoft wanting to sell it? Or did Microsoft come to him demanding that he hand it over? If I had a web site that I'd put serious work into I wouldn't happily hand over the keys just for the registrar fee either. I would want an XBOX too. Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.