Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Worthy .NET podcasts?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    So here I am, slouching in my chair - proper posture is boring - and listening to a podcast of threading, which is actually pretty enjoyable. I'm wondering what other podcasts are out there that I don't know about.

    What do you subscribe to and listen to regularly?

  • User profile image
    Manip

    A podcast? Don't you mean a downloadable MP3 file?

    There are none. They are all a waste of time.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    Manip is the channel9 malcontent; some kind of early childhood trauma rendered him completely anti-social….what a wasted life.

    Hansel Minutes is a great Podcast

    IT Heroes is a good one too.

    DotNetRocks is the Mother of developer Podcasts

  • User profile image
    eagle

    You should do a Podcast....

  • User profile image
    Manip

    eagle wrote:
    Manip is the channel9 malcontent; some kind of early childhood trauma rendered him completely anti-social….what a wasted life.


    Did you read the Conversational Terrorism thread? Because one of the examples of trolling was this:

    wrote:
    WISHFUL THINKING:Instead of proving a point true or false, this technique tries to imply that the individual's desires have led him/her astray without dealing with the merits of the issue itself. (C.S. Lewis termed this "Bulverism".) Any strong desire can be shown to have tainted a conclusion or clouded objectivity, which cast in doubt the legitimacy of a point. This is very close to the classic ad hominem fallacy - "you say that because you are a man".
    "You support capital punishment because of a deep-rooted death wish common among those who have suffered emotional traumas during childhood."

    "You oppose capital punishment because of an irrational suppressed death taboo common among those who have suffered emotional trauma during childhood."

    "You weren't breast fed as a child, were you?"



    You're so much of a steriotype eagle it isn't even funny.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    eagle wrote:
    You should do a Podcast....


    Maybe you should get to bed gramps, isn't there an NRA meeting early tomorrow?

  • User profile image
    Refrax

    jsampsonPC wrote:
    So here I am, slouching in my chair - proper posture is boring - and listening to a podcast of threading, which is actually pretty enjoyable. I'm wondering what other podcasts are out there that I don't know about.

    What do you subscribe to and listen to regularly?


    how about video podcasts? or screencasts?

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    Well, I've been hooked on Channel9 videos for the past few months; I play one on my right monitor, while I code and test on my left (I like the video so much I gave up my testing monitor just to watch them Smiley I'm back to working on ONE monitor again!)

    Vidcasts, Podcasts, etc...anything works Wink Mp3's give me my second monitor back - if I don't get stuck watching the visual effects of WMP Smiley

    I would preferably like to get material on VB.NET - since that I what I am most interested in as of now.

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    eagle wrote:
    Manip is the channel9 malcontent; some kind of early childhood trauma rendered him completely anti-social….what a wasted life.

    Hansel Minutes is a great Podcast

    IT Heroes is a good one too.

    DotNetRocks is the Mother of developer Podcasts


    Yeah, *Sigh*, he seems a bit discouraging Smiley I've heard of DotNetRocks, but not the other two - thanks for the suggestions!

  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

    I stumbled across www.sys-con.tv; what are your ideas on this site?

  • User profile image
    irascian

    Sys-Con.tv does a good job.

    The best podcasts have already been mentioned. I think HanselMinutes is the best of the bunch. Even when it's a subject I've not been interested in I've found the podcast interesting and learnt something new. Check out some of the older broadcasts too - there's information in there you just won't find anywhere else. Scott's podcast on XML and associated technologies should be on every .NET developer's "must listen to" list - arguably the best use of podcast time I've come across.

    DotNetRocks can be very hit and miss. Sometimes they struggle to find a guest and the lack of knowledge shows and it all comes across as being rather naive, but definitely one to keep an eye on - when they get a guest who knows his stuff and can cope with the format it's outstanding. Definitely worth keeping an eye on from week to week.

    Since you specifically mentioned .NET I should also mention that there's also an ASP.NET podcast if you're into web programming.  I listened to a couple and they were - there's no nice way to say this -really dire - truth is I couldn't get to the end of either of them, but as is always the case, your mileage may vary.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.