Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Ramping up...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Galapagos​Niltch

I'm working on a contract for a certain state government that shall remain nameless to protect the innocent [ME!].  I have been on the contract for seven weeks now and have yet to be given anything to do.  Haven't written a single line of code, or done anything else to justify taxpayer money becoming my money.  I'm sure someone somewhere would find this appealing...  you're doing nothing? and you're getting paid?  dude! schweeet!  But that's really not how I'm feeling right now.

So, my point, and I do have one, is to ask this:  What is the longest any of you have gone in a job without having anything to do?

Just curious.

GN

• User profile image
    W3bbo

A few days at most.

Why not make some work for yourself? (Like rewriting FEMA's system Wink )

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

GalapagosNiltch wrote:
    I'm working on a contract for a certain state government that shall remain nameless to protect the innocent [ME!].  I have been on the contract for seven weeks now and have yet to be given anything to do.  Haven't written a single line of code, or done anything else to justify taxpayer money becoming my money.  I'm sure someone somewhere would find this appealing...  you're doing nothing? and you're getting paid?  dude! schweeet!  But that's really not how I'm feeling right now.

So, my point, and I do have one, is to ask this:  What is the longest any of you have gone in a job without having anything to do?

Just curious.

GN

My all time high individual record, is exactly 7.5 milliseconds. Wow nothing to do? Just start writing something ask people around you if they need a program (I don’t know Big Smile) never heard of that kind of a job before.

Do an experiment. Call the higher ground that be, and put in a requisition, and budget demands for a new world defense system, stamped top secret. I'm sure your get some attention with that Wink

If nothing else you’d be DIGGed. Cool

• User profile image
    Rossj

As a contractor? Never. Whilst I am being paid by the hour it is my responsibility (or at least my professional guilt) to ensure that the customer is getting their moneys worth, and will chase work if not given it.

As a permie, about a fortnight, but I filled the time learning some new stuff and cleaning up some old cruft in the product.

• User profile image
    Galapagos​Niltch

I'm all for taking personal responsibility, but I only recently got a security badge, I have no access to common developer resources such as databases, source safe, etc. , and no authority to requisition myself a sticky note.  The project that I was hired for has no requirements.  They haven't even decided on broad architectural points yet.  Conservatively, I have another six weeks before I'm actually called upon to do anything.  Probably more.  Honestly, I feel that the whole thing was completely misrepresented to me and I'm wanting to find a way out without making enemies.

So I'm having a hard time carpe-ing my diem on this one.

Gn

• User profile image
    Manip

Why not talk to whoever is in charge of you about what they want you to do, and if he gets vague suggest then that you should "go home." Whatever the result you will either be out of it or have something to do after that.

Also why would you make enemies if they have over-hired? It is their mistake... All you have to do is be professional and not take advantage.

• User profile image
    Galapagos​Niltch

I'm not worried about making enemies at the state, I'm worried about making enemies with the placement agency who would rather I just work on my tetris skills.

GN

• User profile image
    blindlizard

I am in much of the same position.  I also just started a contract for a state government and have been doing very little.  Here are some possible reasons.  First I am assuming that there is a large company that has the contract with the state and you are contracted to that company to help perform work (I could be wrong here, but that is how all of my state contracts have gone).  Now, that larger company has a contractual obligation to provide so many one site people which relates to so many billable hours.  You right now are a warm body there for hours to be billed.  Now, don't let your concience get the best of you.  If you weren't there the big company would still get paid the hours because that is what the contract says.  They just have to fulfill the contract by have someone there.  Now, in a few years (depends on the contract), it will come up for renewal and the state can determine if they are giving too many hours and scale it back and it all works itself out. 

Also, depending on what you are working on and what sensative data you will be around there is probably some training you have to go through so you don't do something stupid like get people ssn's published on a state website.  It is not always cost effective to have that trainning for one person, you might be sitting waiting for the other new hires to get there.  Also, you might be working on a big system that they thought the piece you would be working on would be ready when you started, but maybe there was a hiccup....

My point is, you aren't wasting money by being there, the money from the state is already spent.  Just use this time to get fimillar with the people and the systems so you will be a rock star when you start.  I know it is boring, I just mentioned to my supervisor yesterday that I think I reached the end of the Internet because I surf all day waiting for my project to start.  Oh I also try to get in on meetings that I can't really contribute in, but at least start getting familiar with terms because state agencies are nitorious for accronmys.  I don't even know what my team's real title is, it is just a collection of letters Wink

• User profile image
    Manip

GalapagosNiltch wrote:
    I'm not worried about making enemies at the state, I'm worried about making enemies with the placement agency who would rather I just work on my tetris skills.

GN

You what? ... THEY work for YOU! They place you in a job, and get a cut... It is not the other way around. If they aren't happen then you can take your skills to the next agency that will be happy to pick up your contract.

I am not suggesting walking around and burning bridges for no good reason, but remember who is in charge in that little relationship. YOU are the one with all the power...

• User profile image
    Galapagos​Niltch

manip,
    I appreciate the advice and love your view of the relationship between the developer/contractor and his agency.  Overall, I like my current placement agency and would like to be able to continue a cordial relationship with them.  But you've convinced me, I intend to be firm but professional, and stand up to the guys at my agency!  And hey, if they have no further interest in working with me, there are plenty of good agencies out there, right?

um, right?

Tongue Out

GN

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.