Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Charles, I'm Leaving Too, You're Modding Abilities Really...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

...are tough to deal with.

I've put up with a lot of things here. I've had some threads locked, gotten into some nice discussions, etc. But this morning takes the cake. Now I'm getting evangelistic e-mails from Vistawillship. He is offering to send me brochures to "enlighten my experience". What a f*cknut.

I can't believe this is coming out of a supposed Microsoft community.

Man, is this getting old. I know why Karim left. I know why others left.

I feel so...used.

[C][C][C]

I'm going to get my tech news elsewhere from now on. I hate to say this, but I actually hoping this site closes down now. It's depressing and reminds me of a drive-in theater with a bunch of overgrown weeds, a food stand with sticky floors and bugs everywhere.

• User profile image
    Chadk

bye

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    ...are tough to deal with.

I've put up with a lot of things here. I've had some threads locked, gotten into some nice discussions, etc. But this morning takes the cake. Now I'm getting evangelistic e-mails from Vistawillship. He is offering to send me brochures to "enlighten my experience". What a f*cknut.

I can't believe this is coming out of a supposed Microsoft community.

Man, is this getting old. I know why Karim left. I know why others left.

I feel so...used.

I'm going to get my tech news elsewhere from now on. I hate to say this, but I actually hoping this site closes down now. It's depressing and reminds me of a drive-in theater with a bunch of overgrown weeds, a food stand with sticky floors and bugs everywhere.

I concurr with both you and Manip, Charles clearly has no experience of real moderation or how to deal with trolls, instead it seems he wants to believe these trolls will get their act together, the worst he seems to do is call us all "childish" and ocassionally lock threads, no bans or IP blocks.

I'm a moderator on ForumPlanet, and we're all briefed on how to deal with trolls before we're even given the banhammer, if we abuse our power then we're held accountable and the rest of the forum go-ers respect us. Not something Charles seems to get.

• User profile image
    Manip

W3bbo wrote:
    I'm a moderator on ForumPlanet, and we're all briefed on how to deal with trolls before we're even given the banhammer, if we abuse our power then we're held accountable and the rest of the forum go-ers respect us. Not something Charles seems to get.

How many 9ers would you ban if you had mod right now?

• User profile image
    dahat

Vistawillship sure does seem to be trying to make a bad name for himself, not long ago when first looking at the Coffeehouse I found that he made it a point to reply to every single thread on the main page... and of course not a one of those replies was worth a damn.

• User profile image
    Chadk

W3bbo wrote:

I concurr with both you and Manip, Charles clearly has no experience of real moderation or how to deal with trolls, instead it seems he wants to believe these trolls will get their act together, the worst he seems to do is call us all "childish" and ocassionally lock threads, no bans or IP blocks.

You have to remember. This is microsoft. If they do just a TINY bit wrong, they will get shot down.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:

W3bbo wrote:I'm a moderator on ForumPlanet, and we're all briefed on how to deal with trolls before we're even given the banhammer, if we abuse our power then we're held accountable and the rest of the forum go-ers respect us. Not something Charles seems to get.

How many 9ers would you ban if you had mod right now?

There's at least 3 I can think of right now and about 4 others I'd issue "stern warnings" to.

But punishment for trolling on forums doesn't stop at banning someone, if someone is particulary deserving, we sign their email address up for spam (but only if they're really deserving)

• User profile image
    Chadk

W3bbo wrote:

But punishment for trolling on forums doesn't stop at banning someone, if someone is particulary deserving, we sign their email address up for spam (but only if they're really deserving)

WHAT? You gotta be kidding me.
    I really hope that a such thing not have been done before. I dont know what is worse. Trolling, or signing people up for spam?

Have you actually done it?

• User profile image
    Manip

Chadk wrote:

W3bbo wrote: 

I really hope that a such thing not have been done before. I dont know what is worse. Trolling, or signing people up for spam?

Yeah, sorry I can't approve of that either...

• User profile image
    Charles

See my reply on the other thread where Manip threatens to leave our fold because I don't have time to babysit the forums 24 hours a day. Oh heck, I'll just say it again:

As I've stated before, part of Channel 9's next update (which will be massive) will include new modertion features. The development for the new, improved Channel 9 will commence on July 11, 2006. It may take a month to complete, but with the amazing dev team we have, it could be just a matter of 2-3 weeks.

Keep on posting,

C

PS: vistawillship, you get a yellow card for your behavior today...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:

Chadk wrote:
    W3bbo wrote: 

Yeah, sorry I can't approve of that either...

Whilst I haven't done it myself, nor do I really condone it, but I have heard it done. Although it probably never happens, just as a "mutually assured destruction" threat: "Spam our forums again and you can kiss your inbox goodbye", probably forces them all into submission.

But even then, we're talking really bad troll cases, including cracking the forum system and we haven't had to deal with any of that in the past year I've been a moderator. Thesedays it's mostly wrongly-posted threads, accidental BAR threads, or newbs.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Charles wrote:
    PS: vistawillship, you get a yellow card for your behavior today...

That's it? What about his conduct over the past two months?

• User profile image
    Chadk

W3bbo wrote:

Charles wrote: PS: vistawillship, you get a yellow card for your behavior today...

Hell. For once i do actually AGREE with W3bbo. Please execute him already. Its likely to be beer, that is writing a book again, from a perspective of a Microsoft-fan-kid.

• User profile image
    dahat

W3bbo wrote:

I suspect that he's on his way out due to this thread which no longer appears visible on the thread list.

• User profile image
    Chadk

No, its still here
    EDIT: And poof, all VistaWillShip's post on the frontpage were gone.

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum

Ahhhhh... It's so good to look at the coffehouse without seeing "vistawillship" everywhere. Smiley
    Thanks, Charles.

Rotem

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Charles,

How about implementing a three strike system?

A user can be allowed three warnings for abusive/obnoxious/trolling behavior. After the third warning they get banned with their account gets deleted.

I believe someone should be allowed to speek their mind about Microsoft, but if you and other precieve it as trolling propaganda then thats when you and other mods intervene.

What do you think?

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    Charles

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Charles,

How about implementing a three strike system?

A user can be allowed three warnings for abusive/obnoxious/trolling behavior. After the third warning they get banned with their account gets deleted.

I believe someone should be allowed to speek their mind about Microsoft, but if you and other precieve it as trolling propaganda then thats when you and other mods intervene.

What do you think?

Regards,
    Vincent

Not a bad idea. I am also in favor of giving mod powers to Niners... I don't have the time (or interest) to babysit this place.
    C

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.