Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Something you learned in the last 3 months from Ch9?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I wonder how useful this forum really is.

What is something you learned in the last few months, as a result of Channel 9, which makes you a smarter, faster (or more equipped in any fashion) programmer?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

thread.bump

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I invoke THREAD.RESURRECTION();!

It's been almost 2 years, and nobody has learned anything? Smiley Let me be the first to start.

Last week, W3bbo helped me solve a problem relating to Storing Markup in Data-fields. He introduced me to Markdown, a great way to keep your content clean, and convert it to HTML upon displaying.

Now my database is getting cleaner and cleaner, and I even have my wife working on converting the rest of it, as a testimony to how easy it is to format your data with markdown - even my non-coding wife can do it.

Thanks W3bbo Wink

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

Well... there's so much. Just tiny, little things. YOLD taught me the tiny yet significant fact that black takes up the most power in LCDs only. MCampbell taught me Google are going brown with TiSP.

There is a =lot= of stuff Smiley

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

A lot of crap is posted here, but also a lot of good things. Like you say, people helping other people solve problems. People introducing people to cool stuff. Lately, the crap-level has increased a lot. But I don't know what we can do about it.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

TommyCarlier wrote:
    A lot of crap is posted here, but also a lot of good things. Like you say, people helping other people solve problems. People introducing people to cool stuff. Lately, the crap-level has increased a lot. But I don't know what we can do about it.

I've not noticed as much today. It's gotten better.

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    littleguru

TommyCarlier wrote:

I'm sure that it will get better Smiley Hope dies last, as they say.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Yeah, but how many good niners will have left before it gets better?

• User profile image
    littleguru

We shouldn't always draw the devil on the wall... stuff can also be talked up a lot... let's skip the discussion for this thread Smiley

• User profile image
    Charles

Channel 9 is much more than the Coffeehouse....
    C

• User profile image
    phreaks

jsampsonPC wrote:

It's been almost 2 years...

I'm getting old?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

You're right, let's get back on-topic. What I learnt a while ago from irascian was to stop jumping on every new technology Microsoft (or anyone else, but especially Microsoft) threw at us. I read about the new technologies as much as I can (have time and/or brain capacity for), I evaluate if I could use it right now or in the near future, if it's a good idea to jump on it. And I haven't found a single new technology that I've jumped on immediately, since .NET 2.0. The only more recent technology I'm actively using is Powershell, which I occasionaly use. All the other new stuff (.NET 3.0, .NET 3.5, LINQ, Silverlight, ...) are nice, but not nice enough to spend my professional or personal time on (except for reading about it, trying some demos).

• User profile image
    Massif

Charles wrote:
    Channel 9 is much more than the Coffeehouse....
    C

Deep breath and ...

WE KNOW

Big Smile

The video with Bertrand Meyer was cool, he's clearly got a brain the size of a planet. Although I really didn't get on with his seminal OO book, it took the complete opposite approach to the way I tend to learn things.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I don't come here that often anymore. I learned what delegates were from littleguru.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I learn a lot from the videos. Charles' Going Deep series is just good stuff.

• User profile image
    elmer

Thanks to Corona/Beer,  I've learned that Linux has already won the war of the desktop O/S  and that Windows/Microsoft is doomed.

• User profile image
    Charles

JChung2006 wrote:
    I learn a lot from the videos. Charles' Going Deep series is just good stuff.

Glad you enjoy (and learn from) Going Deep!
    C

• User profile image
    punkouter

a lot of things, but one thing that is most memorable for me, is.... how to answer interview questions. really helped me a lot, and i have a new job starting next month! yay! thanks for the help everyone.

Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.