Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Asteroid to make close encounter with Earth

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shark_M
  • User profile image
    Shark_M

Not that I beleive in this stuff, but for those who like to think about futuristic predictions, here is something.

The Prophecies of Nostradamus:
    "A mile-wide mountain (asteroid) strikes earth
    after there is peace, war, famine, and floods,
    the asteroid strike causes widespread flooding of nations,
    some of which are ancient.

Biblical prophecy in Revelation chapter 8, also indicates that in the "End Times" period dominated by the Antichrist, one or more asteroids or pieces of a comet will strike earth, causing worldwide disaster. According to this Bible Code matrix this could happen in year 2007. Compare to Revelation 8:8 (King James Version):

"And the second angel sounded,
    and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea,
    and the third part of the sea became blood."

Nostradamus predicted that the Anti-Christ would die off as an astroid strikes earth, that causes floods and war and famine.

Who knows Tongue Out

• User profile image
    pacelvi

Shark_M wrote:
    Not that I beleive in this stuff, but for those who like to think about futuristic predictions, here is something.

Biblical prophecy in Revelation chapter 8, also indicates that in the "End Times" period dominated by the Antichrist, one or more asteroids or pieces of a comet will strike earth, causing worldwide disaster. According to this Bible Code matrix this could happen in year 2007. Compare to Revelation 8:8 (King James Version):

Nostradamus predicted that the Anti-Christ would die off as an astroid strikes earth, that causes floods and war and famine.

Who knows

Later on in Rev. it states the disposition of the Anti-christ.  So yes some space object strikes earth, but it's function is to cause widespread devastation, not kill the anti-christ.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Blah blah Smiley After several years of confusingly studying Revelation, Daniel, etc...I don't think this rock is going to be the end-times that so many Christians have read about.

There are a list of things which MUST take place before certain biblical events will come into play.

Neat news though; appreciate the link Smiley

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

littleguru wrote:
    2004 XP14: As the name says the thing was discovered 2004. They knew already then that we won't have a collision. What's up? One day before the arrival all start to cry like babies... Nothing is going to happen and I'm having my math exam tomorrow! So what.

Good luck on the exam; hope you're not smooshed by the meteor Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

2004 XP14: As the name says the thing was discovered 2004. They knew already then that we won't have a collision. What's up? One day before the arrival all start to cry like babies... Nothing is going to happen and I'm having my math exam tomorrow! So what.

• User profile image
    littleguru

jsampsonPC wrote:

littleguru wrote: 2004 XP14: As the name says the thing was discovered 2004. They knew already then that we won't have a collision. What's up? One day before the arrival all start to cry like babies... Nothing is going to happen and I'm having my math exam tomorrow! So what.

Good luck on the exam; hope you're not smooshed by the meteor

Thanks for the wishes!

littleguru says: Important event with numbers and calculator will approach fast as the mountain big asteroid passes by. Little time is left to study all the topics. Everything needs to be done, before tomorrow, the final day, is arriving. Car taking some people, including the exam participant, home after asteroid has passed by.

*feeling like nostradamus*

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I do worry about these sorts of things. Its not like global warming, fossal fuel and natural resource exhaustion, terrorism and relgious war couldn't keep us at an edge; having a large asteroid plummet onto earth would be life shattering (literally).

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    littleguru

To win the lotto has a higher possibility. Being killed by a car, brick, dog has a higher possibility. I think we shouldn't take it to seriously and be worried about everything. Life isn't funny if you are worried about everything all the time.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Shark_M wrote:

Who knows

And Spain will win the world cup in 2006. Oh, wait...

Write enough sufficiently vague drivel and soem of it can be retrospecively said to be "true".

• User profile image
    Chadk

Remember that frence guys, that had been working in the frence airforce, that said that a asteroid would hit the earth a few months ago?
    WHERE IS IT?

Theres no chance that its true, i would say

• User profile image
    littleguru

Passing by != Hitting

I don't know why people tend always to see it worser then it is... Boyz he will not hit us... Littleguru is telling you that.

And in Yoda's words: Asteroid passing by is. Not earth hit he will. Be sure young skywalker, no problem it will be.

• User profile image
    spoofnozzle

littleguru wrote:
    Passing by != Hitting

...so long as who ever did the calcs, also passed their maths exams...

I still wonder about what went through the minds of the guys at the "Bravo" H-Bomb test, all those years ago... when an expected 5Mton test turned into a 15MTon test... 'cos someone forgot to carry the one (metaphorically speaking)....   Oooooopps! Expressionless

• User profile image
    littleguru

spoofnozzle wrote:

littleguru wrote: Passing by != Hitting

...so long as who ever did the calcs, also passed their maths exams...

I still wonder about what went through the minds of the guys at the "Bravo" H-Bomb test, all those years ago... when an expected 5Mton test turned into a 15MTon test... 'cos someone forgot to carry the one (metaphorically speaking)....   Oooooopps!

To much fear turns thinking people into will-less zombies.

• User profile image
    Wil

The scary thing is how often smaller, but still devasatingly large, meteorites (i.e., asteroid fragments) and comets do hit the earth.  For instance, here is a report of one that impacted northern Norway just last month.  The initial estimates were that it was a "Hiroshima-sized" impact!  Even if subsequent analysis substantially downgrades this particular event, such impacts aren't nearly so rare as you might think (or hope!).  Fortunately, so much of the earth's surface is uninhabited (mainly oceans) or only sparsely inhabited that these events usually do little damage to civilization.  But that's just because we've been lucky, so far.  For instance, if the famous Tunguska fireball of 1908 had happened only a few hours later in the day, the earth would have rotated so that the impact point would have been further west, and then St. Petersburg, Russia quite likely could have been wiped out.  So sooner or later, we shall come out losers in the Solar System's game of whack-a-mole. Sad

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Tensor wrote:
    Shark_M wrote:Not that I beleive in this stuff, but for those who like to think about futuristic predictions, here is something.

Who knows

And Spain will win the world cup in 2006. Oh, wait...

Write enough sufficiently vague drivel and soem of it can be retrospecively said to be "true".

True, I typically tell people that a broken clock is correct twice a day.

• User profile image
    amotif

littleguru wrote:
    2004 XP14: As the name says the thing was discovered 2004. They knew already then that we won't have a collision. What's up? One day before the arrival all start to cry like babies...

My understanding is that the position calculations are approximate. The closer we are to the event the higher the certainty of "hit" or "miss." They're tracking objects that wander off for many years and may be influenced by other objects. Hence the "potential" verbiage.

And I don't see anyone crying...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.