Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

I got a C&D

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

No, not from Beer. Wink

When I posted my Pocket Knight game for Windows Mobile (was also posted in the Sandbox here), W3bbo and I actually joked over MSN that the creators of the real Troyis would send me a cease & desist.

And they did. Perplexed

Actually, they told me to comply with a few simple guidelines or else C&D. And I'll likely go with the comply route. Basically they want me to add appropriate copyright notices and change the name to Pocket Troyis, which, irony of ironies, was the original name! I changed it to Pocket Knight when I put it online because I didn't think I could legally use the name Troyis. Smiley

So anyway, my very first C&D, I'm so proud. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Manip

I'm not posting here anymore...

But had to login to point out TRAP! If you change the name then they will likely sue you for trademark infringement. And what do they want you to change the copyright information TO?

I wouldn't do it... And they have no legal authority to ask you to anyhow.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Manip wrote:
    But had to login to point out TRAP! If you change the name then they will likely sue you for trademark infringement. And what do they want you to change the copyright information TO?

How could they do that if they first asked me to change the name?
    And they simply want me to append the following to the existing copyright:

Pocket TROYIS 1.0

(c) 2006 Troyis.com - All rights reserved
    Original idea and development by: Guillem de San Pedro
    Original version: http://www.troyis.com/">http://www.troyis.com
    Pocket version developed by: Sven Groot

Manip wrote:
    I wouldn't do it... And they have no legal authority to ask you to anyhow.

But they developed the game. I admit it's a clone of Troyis every place I've posted about it. I also ripped off their knight image (due to lack of graphics skills on my end).

I have no problem adding that copyright notice. Credit where credit's due.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Congratulations! Really. I'm so jealous. I wish I would receive a C&D from someone else than Beer.

• User profile image
    fdisk

:O

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

fdisk wrote:

Better yet, make an anti-Microsoft comment and you'll get tossed immediately.

Let's see if you're right.

Top ten reasons I dislike Microsoft:
    1. They make more money than me
    2. They have a bigger building than my house
    3. Their software is less buggy than mine
    4. Their software is cooler than mine
    5. Bill gates is more mature than me
    6. Bill gates has a nicer car than me
    7. Bill gates' son has a nicer car than me
    8. Bill gates' unborn grandson will have a nicer car than me
    9. Microsoft is on the cutting-edge, and I'm not
    10. Being fdisk dislikes them, and he's my hero.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Well, to this date Microsoft hadn't banned me for making my list (found one post up) of the top 10 things I hate about Microsoft.

One another note, I finally sat down and played Troyis...was the most addictive hour of my life Smiley

I've got a friend who was the New Zealand national competition in chess, so I passed it off on him - waiting to see how he rates it.

What exactly is microsofts involvement with this game?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I see fdisk is following in those nice footsteps of whoever deleted/edited his posts to avoid ridicule...

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

Congratulations, Sven!!!

Of course you should do it, the new copyright notice makes you look like an official Troyis.com developer!
    How great is that!! Smiley

I'm sure they like your development effort a lot over there at Troyis, otherwise they wouldn't have given you that honour. Smiley

Will they put it up for download on their website as well?
    If not, mail them that they are free to do so!

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

It's like getting picked first for kickball or your first kiss.   You never forget a C&D Smiley

It sounds like they were pretty mild, though, and since they didn't ask you to fork over your first born child, my guess is that they had to do it.  Failure to enforce it would give them no standing in court later Sad

You could use it to your advantage: If it has any possibility of  making money, get them to pay you for it/hire you. 

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that if you like a product so much that you would recreate it on another platform, you are the kind of developer that they would want, anyway.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

I thought when you posted the game that it was a little too close for comfort, though I didn't like to say anything. Expressionless

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I want a desktop version, tied into a database somewhere Smiley

I have been playing online at Troyis.com and can't seem to get past the 8th level Smiley I know, I stink - oh well, woe is me.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.