Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Words with Double Meanings

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Actually, this is similar to an experiment I did a long time ago.
    Say the following word out loud. Content. What did you say?

"I'm content with my salary" or "We need more content on this page".

Which usage did you use? Why do you think you instinctively used that particular one.

• User profile image
    fdisk

C'mon this will be fun. I'll start:

grass

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

coding4jesus2 wrote:
    Why would you want to get rid of the moderators??
    You misread my last sentence. I meant "chuck the moderator" as in, Chuck is a moderator. Not try and throw Chuck in any way.

Perplexed

Here's another word just for you: noodle. Or a lack of one.

Edit: Although I suppose throwing Chuck would be "chuck chuck".

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

Mr. Jesus must be Vistawillships's alter ego and returned to settle a score.

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

coding4jesus2 wrote:

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:

Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Regards,
    Vincent
    It's certainly a weird development, that's for sure. But I think the first version of this troll today was already banned. And it's like he reincarnated himself on the spot.

Only Jesus can reincarnate.
    You're confusing me now. Speaking of reincarnation, I once remember this neighbor of ours taking a riding lawn mower and running over a small tree in the yard. Then, a few weeks later, after the tree tried to grow back he ran over it again.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

coding4jesus2 wrote:
    coding4jesus2 wrote:
    Xaero_Vincent wrote:

Regards,
    Vincent
    It's certainly a weird development, that's for sure. But I think the first version of this troll today was already banned. And it's like he reincarnated himself on the spot.

and only after 3 days!!!!  You need to settle for a while.

Jesus didn't reincarnate....sheesh
    He was resurrected! Two different things man.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

coding4jesus2 wrote:

Fortunately for him, no one was camping the respawn point.

(sorry [6] )

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Actually, 16 men were camping the respawn point, to be true to history.

• User profile image
    Another_​Darren

coding4jesus3 wrote:

Sven Groot wrote:

coding4jesus2 wrote:

Fortunately for him, no one was camping the respawn point.

(sorry )

it was behind a big rock

C9 mods should just disable the user registration process until the 14 year old (coding4jesus1+2+3, vistawillship) parents can be contacted to get him grounded.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

So really all innuendos.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

coding4jesus4 wrote:
    14??  I am a 42-year-old-born-again-Christian that is here to save you from hell.  I think you need to read some tracts and go to church before you burn in hell!

Dude, or should I call you coding4jesusn, your obsession with user-registration after multiple bannings is annoying man...lets the mods mod!

Stop posting stuff that has no substance to it, too.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

You are an awefully confused christian.

• User profile image
    ilya

coding4jesus4 wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote:

coding4jesus4 wrote:
    14??  I am a 42-year-old-born-again-Christian that is here to save you from hell.  I think you need to read some tracts and go to church before you burn in hell!

Dude, or should I call you coding4jesusn, your obsession with user-registration after multiple bannings is annoying man...lets the mods mod!

Stop posting stuff that has no substance to it, too.

Are you a real Christian?  If so, you'd be spreading the word too.  I think you need a few hundred hail mary's to make up for it.

coding4jesusn I think that people like you make christians look bad in the eyes of others. You don't tell people about god by nagging them to death. People have to come of their of free will.

I have read many of your posts and I hope people just stop replying on anything that you have to say.
    This was my last reply to anything you participate(d) in.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Which usage did you use? Why do you think you instinctively used that particular one.

I think one instinctively picks the "content on this page" meaning because it's more common for a noun to stand alone like that than it is for an adjective, maybe?

• User profile image
    Galapagos​Niltch

I agree, I tend to think "table of content" because noun comes to mind more readily.

As for a homonym, how about "troll".  Seems to be the official C9 word of the week, and it has that multiple meaning thing happening for it.

GN

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Doesn't "Gift" in german mean a type of poison?

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Just because Charles is on vacation, doesn't mean this site has to spin out of control.

Since we are on the topic of double meaning words...how about "chuck". As in, ground chuck, wood chuck, up chuck, chuck (to throw), Chuck the moderator, etc.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

coding4jesus2 wrote:Why would you want to get rid of the moderators??
    You misread my last sentence. I meant "chuck the moderator" as in, Chuck is a moderator. Not try and throw Chuck in any way.

Here's another word just for you: noodle. Or a lack of one.

Edit: Although I suppose throwing Chuck would be "chuck chuck".

Sounds like a gas station, "Chuck'nChuck"

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.