Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What do you make of this new PSP ad?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

white-psp-europe.jpg

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Nothing really, aside from the fact that it's a rather odd ad.

• User profile image
    Minh

It's very provocative. We're talking about it. And it definitely has some racial components in it.

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

That a new white PSP is coming.

What are you trying to point out?

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

Minh wrote:
    It's very provocative. We're talking about it. And it definitely has some racial components in it.

Excuse this, but what do you see in the following image:

Dolphins playing or two adults in a sexual scene?

I guess it depends on your perception, do you see what I'm saying? Smiley

• User profile image
    Rowan

It's too easy to take it the wrong way.

It's either saying black men are 'disgusting'...

or that black PSPs are 'disgusting'...

hmm

• User profile image
    BryanF

UnoriginalGuy wrote:
    Dolphins playing or two adults in a sexual scene?
    I can't find those bloody dolphins!

Aw well... [6]

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

JESUS CHRIST, TIMMY!  SOME PEOPLE HAVE BLACK SKIN, AND SOME PEOPLE HAVE WHITE SKIN!

*shocking*

• User profile image
    Minh

alwaysmc2 wrote:

JESUS CHRIST, TIMMY!  SOME PEOPLE HAVE BLACK SKIN, AND SOME PEOPLE HAVE WHITE SKIN!

*shocking*

This is an ad campaign in Holland BTW -- I guess Europeans are less sensitive to racial issues -- because for the most parts (there are always exceptions), Europe has a more mono-culture.

Here's another picture in the campaign:

The image “<a href=http://cache.kotaku.com/images/2006/07/black-psp-europe.png” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." src="http://cache.kotaku.com/images/2006/07/black-psp-europe.png">

Does this one shine a new light on the first?

Even if both were shown at the same time here in the States, it would still be a VERY risky thing to do.

• User profile image
    armbrat

It's a hot ad.  Maybe a little odd.  But it's definately hot.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

armbrat wrote:
    It's a hot ad.  Maybe a little odd.  But it's definately hot.

Yeah, that.

I don't see it as racist, though.  You might also notice that the white person is female and the black person is male.  So it could also be sexist, but I don't think it's that either.  It's just hot and odd.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Looks the a pretty ill conceived ad campaign to me. Are Sony just trying to get on the 'most hated' list these days?

• User profile image
    mot256

OK, so I'm from South Africa (and I'm white) so the rest of the world would think I would not have a problem with the ad. That is where they're wrong...
    Put that ad up here in South Africa and it will reach world news... somewhere else... it only reaches C9... :O

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I think the problem with the ad is that the white person seems to be pressing some authority over the black person. Not something that would fly with the NAACP in the U.S.

If this ad were in the states you'd hear a big uproar from the black community.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hmmm. I have a white Nintendo DS. Nintendo released the black and white one at the same time. I guess it is a new trend to release a white and a black gadget.

• User profile image
    jamie

i agree.

also - white... um so?
    oh ya - the ipod is white.

maybe it should just say
    Clone of iPod coming soon!

edit: on another note regarding ms new "ipod killer" - i bet it is white too - although it should be black - as Vista's main UI pieces are black/stereo-ish

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Still nobody said why it is racist, and I don't see the problem with the ad. Why would a white/black person be offended by these pictures?

• User profile image
    erik_

Don't see the problem, would this feeling you have be the same if the white and black where switched? (And/or the male/female role would be rotated?)

It is a fact that the devices are actually black & white, it's not like the ad says Playstation green only for black/white people!

We have washing powder only for black clothes and a box only for white clothes. They got comercials with a guy walking in a black suit and one walking in a white suit. That's the same to me as this ad.

btw. isn't this white psp availible for a while now?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.