Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Longhorn Chat Questions

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • outofcoffee

Followed the link posted in the chat to this forum; hope it's the right place for the following questions:

Q: What exactly does NGSCB/Palladium bring to the table with regard to DRM? How does it integrate with Indigo, for secure transactions etc?

Q: Will the UI theme be locked-down like XP's?

Q: Rumors of a 'My Games' or 'Games Library': Are there any truth to these? Will we be seeing a "Games Files" directory similar to "Program Files"?

Q: Will there be a 'Home Edition' of Longhorn?

Q: Your description of the budget example in WinFS didn't make clear when/how this metadata gets into the file in the first instance. Could you clarify?

Cheers!

• limitless

Q: Will all the last 16bit graphics finaly be removed from Windows?

Q: What are the estimated minimal hardware requirements?

Q: If a Professionl version is created, will it be more of a striped version, allowing people with a PC bought to run 2000(many small businesses) to easlily upgrade or will they need whole new machines?

• scobleizer

I think we need to do a whole series of things on DRM. Microsoft (er, us) haven't done a good job of explaining DRM. Let's wait on that one until I can get someone who really knows it well and get them on video. It's not like Longhorn's coming out tomorrow anyway.

Will the UI theme be locked down? What, Microsoft lock something down? Wink

Seriously, that's still being worked on. What would you like to see? Translation: the Aero interface is damn beautiful, you think you could do better? I wanna see it!

Games? Oh baby, give me my games! That's still being worked on. We have an interview coming up with the games division. Gotta put that on the list of questions to ask.

Will there be a "home edition" of Longhorn? I don't know, but I just got a demo of Windows Media Center 2005 and, damn, did that look awesome! I am going to give away my Tivo by the end of the year. Want it?

Translation: there will be some sort of Longhorn aimed at home users. Can't say what the product line will look like yet (the marketing guys will hang me from the flagpole if I try to announce anything here).

More on WinFS coming. Had a great interview with Samuel Druker today. I'd rather let him answer that. I'm just a lowly weblogger, might as well hear it from a guy who really knows what he's talking about. Coming in a couple of weeks.

• ZippyV

scobleizer wrote:
    Seriously, that's still being worked on. What would you like to see? Translation: the Aero interface is damn beautiful, you think you could do better? I wanna see it!

Yes, people can do better than Microsoft:
    http://www.guiolympics.com/skins2004.asp?category=WindowBlinds

About the games-section of Longhorn:
    I think it needs a good installation and patch management system. Too often games need to be patched. If it would be possible to update all the currently installed games via 1 central place (like WindowsUpdate), it could save us a lot of time.

Another Q: Will Outlook Express (as newsreader) support Yencoding?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.