Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New Vista Basic Theme

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    NuTcAsE

Looks like vista's basic theme has been modified to this ...

Can't say it its better or worse... Read more here: http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvista/archive/2006/07/06/440510.aspx

• User profile image
    W3bbo

It looks slightly better, but the window borders are still too thick, IMO.

But still, a LOT better than Luna.

Is there just one color option or are others available?

• User profile image
    jamie

..i like how the new office did them...

sure they are small - but the clickable area is still large - and only shows itself when you need it.

runs...  Wink

edit - and i agree - the thick borders make things seem a tad ...heavy

hides.. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    NuTcAsE

W3bbo wrote:
    It looks slightly better, but the window borders are still too thick, IMO.

But still, a LOT better than Luna.

Is there just one color option or are others available?

I'm sure there will be more than one color option. I'm still on the fence with the new color though. My main greif with the vista basic (and also AERO to an extent) are the window buttons. Did they have to make it so small and tiny? I kinda liked the XP style.

• User profile image
    NuTcAsE

jamie wrote:
    ..i like how the new office did them...

sure they are small - but the clickable area is still large - and only shows itself when you need it.

runs... 

edit - and i agree - the thick borders make things seem a tad ...heavy

hides..

It just amazes me how two divisions of the same company can come up with such wildly different looks. Office 12 rocks in UI, but Vista is still a dissapointment in my books.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

NuTcAsE wrote:
    It just amazes me how two divisions of the same company can come up with such wildly different looks. Office 12 rocks in UI, but Vista is still a dissapointment in my books.

Once again, from the brain of W3bbo:

"Office 12's UI concept is amazing and it gets my full support, but Office 12's UI implementation blows...big time. Respect my system color settings damnit!"

• User profile image
    NuTcAsE

W3bbo wrote:

NuTcAsE wrote: It just amazes me how two divisions of the same company can come up with such wildly different looks. Office 12 rocks in UI, but Vista is still a dissapointment in my books.

"Office 12's UI concept is amazing and it gets my full support, but Office 12's UI implementation blows...big time. Respect my system color settings damnit!"

Well if office kept using the system color settings it would never have been able to achieve the visual look the office team are trying to get to.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

NuTcAsE wrote:

W3bbo wrote:
    NuTcAsE wrote: It just amazes me how two divisions of the same company can come up with such wildly different looks. Office 12 rocks in UI, but Vista is still a dissapointment in my books.

Well if office kept using the system color settings it would never have been able to achieve the visual look the office team are trying to get to.

But that's precisely the sort of thing productivity software shouldn't do.

Remember the Office 95 slogan? "Focus on your work, not your software", one of Office 95's selling points was "consistency between applications and Windows", something lacking from Office 2007.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

I would like to see COMPLETE flexibility in Windows. Not just 'change the bitmaps, etc.'

I used to use litestep, but got frustrated with it after a while. I wish I could do that type of stuff with Windows...how sweet it would be Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I would like to see COMPLETE flexibility in Windows. Not just 'change the bitmaps, etc.'

I used to use litestep, but got frustrated with it after a while. I wish I could do that type of stuff with Windows...how sweet it would be

[y]

• User profile image
    jamie

off topic - but i finally loaded 5456(?) last night on laptop and played around with it for a few hours

over beta 2 it is a huge improvement. It has finally started picking up the wireless network - faster than ANY version of windows xp/server or vista beta - and also reports "signal strength strong" (rest all said weak.)

the side bar is way better.  i love the gradual fade outs - and that you can move stuff around more fluidly and naturally now.

list view is back - but i am still having a bit of a time navigating around.  for example ive run into folders that showed everything by dates - instead of folder names and was unable to change it.
    (example - 100's of folders called july,08.2006..etc.. maybe i did something wrong)

install took a longtime but that doesnt really matter - and after the first hour of dealing with MANY questions and dialouges and permissions it has slowly started working normal (non-obtrusively as before)

My apps also all work - and open faster on the laptop than ive seen before.  A few non-ie related pet peeves are still the new control panel (too much going back and forth) and the start menu icons (the one at the top) that is not beside the text - so you end up looking up and down.  ya..and i miss "up" Wink

all in all .. <McCartney> "Coming along quite promisingly on the base there Elvis </paul>

• User profile image
    NuTcAsE

W3bbo wrote:

Remember the Office 95 slogan? "Focus on your work, not your software", one of Office 95's selling points was "consistency between applications and Windows", something lacking from Office 2007.

But to introduce a new concept or to evolve software out of its old interface sometimes its necessary to break that consitency. I take office 12 as a completely new branch of the Office suite.

But its all a matter of choice. It would be nice if Office 12 supported classic theme and had classic toolbars for those who run it on windows with classic theme. But that compatability should not come at a price of having them cut new UI features and functionality...

At some time you do have to let go of the old and embrace the new...

• User profile image
    andur

jamie wrote:

list view is back - but i am still having a bit of a time navigating around.  for example ive run into folders that showed everything by dates - instead of folder names and was unable to change it.
    (example - 100's of folders called july,08.2006..etc.. maybe i did something wrong)

Did you do an upgrade install from Beta 2?¿? Cause when I did that, I had the exact same bug creep in. Doing a clean install didn't have that happen. Its not just a bug with list view, details view does the same thing (and if you turn on the selection check boxes, they even appear in the wrong column...).

Fortunately, my bug report on this has been resolved to fixed, so this hopefully won't happen again in the future.

• User profile image
    andur

Yeah, that's a lot nicer than the old theme. I only hope that they left all of the border sizes and such the same as the glassy aero one. There's also no reason that the min/max/close buttons should be different between the themes.

• User profile image
    BryanF

W3bbo wrote:

I think that's a looking at it a little too simply though. Consistency is a useful tool, but take it too far and you end up creating a "digital esperanto": very regular, but not very practical--or at least not too well received.

Office 2007 departs from standard Windows UI paradigms, but at the result of some remarkable new concepts in how to organize productivity software; the payoff is significant and, I think, entirely in the spirit of the Office 95 slogan.

Visual consistency is important, but with an asterisk. Keep in mind when it was being championed in the late 80s and early 90s, GUIs were just breaking into the mainstream. Much of the emphasis on being absolutely consistent, I believe, was done to reign in the creative impulses of developers of the era--e.g., to dissuade them from hard-coding custom fonts or tacky little icons next to 'OK' and 'Cancel'.

(I remember when I discovered the hyphen in 1st grade: I thought I was making superb use of the paper by breaking apart words even only three or four letters long. When people find new tools, they tend abuse them until they learn better.)

BTW, I agree with your point that the Office UI should be able to use the underlying system color scheme. Given the scope of the change, I think it's a little harsh to say it blows since it can't currently do so, but it's definitely something I'd like to see in vNext.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Prettier than the old Windows Standard theme.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Why can't they make an opaque Aero skin for the non-DWM mode? Apart from BS and marketting reasons...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Tom Servo wrote:
    Why can't they make an opaque Aero skin for the non-DWM mode? Apart from BS and marketting reasons...

I think its because the skinning engine doesn't allow title-bar painters access to the window borders, the Aero skin has the window control box (Minimize, etc) on the edge with a glow effect extending beyond the window border (along with the drop-shadow)

...but that doesn't seem right to me. I'm pretty sure WindowBlinds has a fairly-Aero-like skin available for it. Some guy was also able to emulate the "blur" effect (albiet in software, so it was very slow)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.