Coffeehouse Thread

104 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 slow scrolling

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    athan

IE7 is a great update to old 6.x, but screen drawing is very slow.

I have installed beta3 in three different machines, my testing computer (3.4ghz/2Gb Intel), a second one (3.4/2Gb) and my laptop (2.2G/1G) and page vertical scrolling is much slower than 6.0 on all of them. Even text-only webpages scroll very slowly when using mouse wheel.

I thought that something might be wrong with installation so I've installed XP from scratch, updated with all hotfixes and IE7b3. Same results...

Finally I've tried with extoff, although I don't have any third party extensions installed, and with Cleartype disabled but no help. BTW I had exactly the same experience with all IE7 betas and every page I visited, including c9.

Some of my colleagues who tried IE7 betas, had the same slowness issues.

Any idea?

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

I've been a long time IE user, both 5, 6 and now 7 though all its public betas, and I have never noticed slow scrolling. I do scroll but I also use the mouse down "fast scroll" functionality too.

Was the same mouse used on all three machines?

• User profile image
    leighsword

Internet Option -> Reset...

• User profile image
    athan

All mice used on desktop machines, are same type, MS Intellimouse Explorer + latest Intellipoint software ( I did tried without IP with same results). On laptop I used its own pointing device.

I don't think that a mouse cause this slowness, IE6 and all other apps work great. I've read many similar user reports in newsgroups and MS own blogs.

leighsword wrote:
    Internet Option -> Reset...

I did that without success...

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

I know this bug existed a few builds ago on Windows Vista, but I wasnt aware of any issues on Windows XP.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

Actually in general I find the scrolling smoother than IE6.  Opera still rules in this department, IE6/7 will be a littly chunky on some pages with lots of flash animations for example.  Opera is silky smooth on every PC I've tested it on, but IE7 is probably the second closest.  Scrolling speed is definitely not a grip with IE7 for me - it was somewhat in earlier builds, but B3 runs very nicely.

What I did find annoying was that on my GF's machine (XP2500, 512 megs, 6600 GT 128 meg), is that switching between tabs wasn't instant - there was a "redraw" of the screen that was quite noticeable.  Firefox/Opera on her system is instant.

On my system (2 gig A64 3200, 256meg 7600GT) it's also instant, there's no flickering or "repainting" visible when switching tabs.  It's not ram, it can't be processor speed because the difference between out processors isn't as great as the difference in tab switching.  Shouldn't be video cards either as the 2D speed between us is basically indentical, the 7600GT is only faster than the 6600GT in 3D operations.

Anyone else get this?  Her system is very clean and not running a ton of extra crap.

• User profile image
    Peter Gurevich [MS]

Sakisp, thanks for the feedback. 

We have been really focusing on improving the scrolling expereince in IE7.  We have made a lot of recent fixes that have dramatically improved the scrolling performance.   I am not seeing the scrolling issues you must be seeing.  Can you provide some specific examples?  We want to make IE the fastest browsing expereinc out there and would really appreociate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks

Peter Gurevich
    IE Performance PM

• User profile image
    blowdart

I tried to report a scrolling/repaint not happening issue today, except the submit bug form barfed on me. Maybe it didn't like an MHT

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

Nitz Walsh wrote:

That's good to hear Peter - want to know how you've got it "fast enough"?

Load up Opera.  Go to www.msnbc.com.  Click the middle mouse button to get the free-scoll icon, and move the mouse up and down to scroll the page quickly.

Now do the same with IE7.  See the difference?

I can go up and down the page in just under three seconds using IE 7 beta 3.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

Peter Gurevich [MS] wrote:
    Sakisp, thanks for the feedback. 

We have been really focusing on improving the scrolling expereince in IE7.  We have made a lot of recent fixes that have dramatically improved the scrolling performance.   I am not seeing the scrolling issues you must be seeing.  Can you provide some specific examples?  We want to make IE the fastest browsing expereinc out there and would really appreociate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks

Peter Gurevich
    IE Performance PM

That's good to hear Peter - want to know when you've got it "fast enough"?

Load up Opera.  Go to www.msnbc.com.  Click the middle mouse button to get the free-scoll icon, and move the mouse up and down to scroll the page quickly.

Now do the same with IE7.  See the difference? Smiley

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

UnoriginalGuy wrote:

I can go up and down the page in just under three seconds using IE 7 beta 3.

Well, of course - any browser could do it that amount of time, "speed" really isn't the issue here, it's smoothness.  IE will be choppy on that page, Opera scrolls as smoothly as a videogame.

It's not a huge issue of course, heck it's not really an "issue" per-se - just that Opera is sublime in this aspect and it would be nice for IE7 to match it.

Edit: Actually, I tried it again, and the problem with the choppiness (at least on www.msnbc.com and others, depends on the content) is that it makes it difficult to use free-scroll to accurately go to a point on the page quicky.  With IE7, you can start scrolling quite smoothly as long as you start out slow, but as you ramp up the speed it quickly *lurches* - there's not enough intermediate steps between speeds, and the choppiness at the higher speeds makes it even more difficult.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Nitz Walsh wrote:

Peter Gurevich [MS] wrote: Sakisp, thanks for the feedback. 

Thanks

Peter Gurevich
    IE Performance PM

That's good to hear Peter - want to know when you've got it "fast enough"?

Are you running XP or Vista?

• User profile image
    athan

Nitz Walsh wrote:

That's exactly what I meant. I can see the same difference when comparing IE6 and IE7 with many different webpages, even text-only.
    IE7 rendering is indubitable fast but scrolling is choppy and much slower than IE6 (or other browser). It is very noticable with long text only formated pages, like IEblog long posts, W3C documentation pages, google groups etc.
    All testing done with fast video cards (ATI X800xt, X1800xt) and resolution 1600x1200x32bit (maximized IE6/7 window).

Peter Gurevich [MS] wrote:
    We want to make IE the fastest browsing expereinc out there and would really appreociate any assistance you can provide.

I really hope so Peter, IE used to be very fast and IMHO, browsing performance is much more preferable than a nice looking UI or a bunch of new features.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

LaBomba wrote:

Are you running XP or Vista?

XP.

• User profile image
    Niklas

The scrolling is smooth for me but I'm finding that it seems to hold up on certain elements of the page (even on this page)

I'm using a logitech mouse with 3 line scroll size.

When I get it certain lines on the webpage my scroll event is "soaked up" i.e. I scroll but nothing happens the first time, I scroll again and off it goes Perplexed

Just thought I'd add that I'm XP(sp2) IE7 beta 3 Intel 3ghz nVidia 6800.

• User profile image
    Shark_M

Maybe you guys need to test IE7 in slow machines, because the vast majority of users have less powerfull machines than the IE7 developer teams are using. So maybe test it in ones with average ability, and limited resources. If IE7 is fast in those then it would be fast in a powerfull machine too.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

Shark_M wrote:
    Maybe you guys need to test IE7 in slow machines, because the vast majority of users have less powerfull machines than the IE7 developer teams are using. So maybe test it in ones with average ability, and limited resources. If IE7 is fast in those then it would be fast in a powerfull machine too.

I have tried Firefox and IE7 on a 400Mhz 256MB RAM. Firefox is much better than IE, less scrolling problem, fast switching between Tabs, even Tabs open fast in Firefox.

Shreyas Zare

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.