Coffeehouse Thread

104 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 slow scrolling

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    gtstaruk

Hi i had the same problem with a slow scrolling mouse i manged to fix it by setting the mouse scroll to 1 line and then setting it back to 3 lines. Seems to have worked. Logitech mouse (standard scroll mouse and software) windows xp sp2 ie7 beta 3.Cool

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

Nitz Walsh wrote:

What I did find annoying was that on my GF's machine (XP2500, 512 megs, 6600 GT 128 meg), is that switching between tabs wasn't instant - there was a "redraw" of the screen that was quite noticeable.  Firefox/Opera on her system is instant.

Actually with futher usage, I also find scrolling speed on her machine is atrocious depending upon the site.  On some sites it's perfectly fine - on others, like cnn.com, it's absolutely dreadful. 

On my system, cnn.com is very smooth.  On hers- chop city.  The processor difference doesn't come close to explaining the dramatic difference - is this an AGP vs. PCI-E issue?

• User profile image
    mesostinky

I have this exact problem and its killing me because I really think beta 3 is a great browser.

I know my laptop is old, Inspiron 5000 PIII 600, 512MB, etc but IE 6.0 simply does not have this problem. Neither do Firefox 1.5 or Opera 9.

I've have this problem with all of the betas and have tried everything to fix it to no avail. There just has to be something about this new engine that is causing this chopiness.

A perfect example is deviantart.com. At the top with the thumbnails its pretty choppy. Towards the bottom I only see text on the right and its back to normal scrolling.

Edit - Its not just about photo slowing a page down. This page scrolls perfectly fine. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/g6_samples.html Clicking on 6MP photo and scrollng it works perfectly. It just seems to come down to certain page elements causing chopiness.

Any thoughts?

• User profile image
    saurus

hello all.  i created an account on channel9 specifically to add my thoughts on IE7 rc1 scrolling.

i too find it very very jerky and slow on certain webpages and it is the only thing that puts me off using IE7 as my future browser

it seems to occur on certain webpages, mainly long discussion forums , the channel 9 forum seems ok but a really bad example is at :

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?forumId=10001&sid=1

(click on any of the longer posts with 20+ replies)

please MS can we fix this issue, i dont really want to use firefox as my browser but its so much mooother on these problem pages

my system: 

P4 2.4C
    Asus P4P800 MB
    1GB ram
    6600GT
    WDC raptor x2 in raid 0

• User profile image
    athan

saurus wrote:
    ...i too find it very very jerky and slow on certain webpages and it is the only thing that puts me off using IE7 as my future browser

Seems that isn't fixed in IE7 final. It is the widget styling that cause this slow rendering when scrolling. Not only slows down scrolling speed but also uses a lot of CPU resources, especially when pages contain many buttons, input boxes etc.

Try to disable visual styles (Internet Options - Advanced - Enable visual styles on buttons and controls in webpages). I did that and IE7 scrolling performance is equal to IE6.

I wonder what IE7 developers have changed to styling code and made it so slow. Maybe optimized it for Vista?

• User profile image
    jgr

Since I installed IE7, I find that other programs have slower screen updates.  For example, one program where it is more noticeable is Freecel.  On this computer, when I won and the cards all went to the top it was impossible to follow them because they just suddenly seemed to all pop up at the same time.  Now, I can definitely see that they are quickly going up one at a time.Perplexed

• User profile image
    petknep_home

jgr wrote:
    Since I installed IE7, I find that other programs have slower screen updates.  For example, one program where it is more noticeable is Freecel.  On this computer, when I won and the cards all went to the top it was impossible to follow them because they just suddenly seemed to all pop up at the same time.  Now, I can definitely see that they are quickly going up one at a time.

The only thing that comes to mind is ClearType. I believe the setting is Inetcpl.cpl (Internet Control Panel) -> Advanced -> Multimedia -> Always use ClearType for HTML rendering.

See if you get a repro after disabling that.

• User profile image
    mjdbb1

I haven't seen this in other programs, but ClearType doesn't affect the scrolling problem or screen refresh problem in IE7. 

The only setting I've found to make a difference is the "Enable visual styles...in webpages" setting.

• User profile image
    jgr

Tried that and it's no different.  In any case, changing something to do with HTML will not improve operation of the video for other programs. 

I installed Firefox2 in my other computer and it did not slow down anything.  In fact IE7 slowed down the first computer I mentioned to the point that my second (slower CPU) looks fast in comparison. 

My conclusion.. If Microsoft can't improve this situation, it's bye-bye for IE7 in my home.   I'm even now getting somewhat worried about what problems Vista is going to cause.

I guess the winners here will be Intel and AMD since we'll need faster computers just to keep up with bloatware OS.

Sad

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    intelman

Slow scrolling definitely exists in IE7. Feel the speed of this site in IE7 while scrolling http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamereview?cid=1993979114&tab=reviews&page=0&eid=491072

Try it in Firefox, it seems to scroll smoother.

• User profile image
    stealth916

I too have found this site because I was Googling for 'IE7 scroll speed'.  I too have gone through the trouble of joining just to add another unbiased report of the same problem.

I too have an issue with IE7 scroll speed.  It is maddening.  It makes browsing a very unpleasant experience.  I thought the problem would be fixed in the release version of IE7 but I am very dissapointed to report that it has not been.

I currently manage ~500 Win XP machines via WSUS.  There is no way I am pushing this problem out to my users when it is released to SUS next week

Presently I am going to obtain the latest version of the Intellipoint mouse driver, as I use a Microsoft mouse.   Many people, particularly Logitech users, have reported that a mouse driver update will fix this problem.

If the mouse driver doesn't help, I am uninstalling IE7 and going back to IE6, where I know scroll speed is not a problem.

• User profile image
    ElucidWeb

Yeah I have this same issue and im running a dual core system with 2 gb of memory.  Its odd, its really bad though.  I just recently noticed on a web board with gif's on it and now I noticed some freezing issues while using zillow.com

The worst I have ever seen was from this url http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?showtopic=6212 on that thread.  Its very very bad for some reason (I hunted that thread down so I hope you try it lol) but its very very choppy scrolling on it. 
    I think its the Bryant or whatever banners.  Hope that helps you track down the problem!

Eric

• User profile image
    Rowan

Do you have any addons installed?

• User profile image
    androidi

In the Vista RC2 build 7.0.5744.16384 there are following issues that might be fixed in Vista RTM I haven't checked yet:

1. If page has been 99% rendered but some last item is taking a lot of time, eg you can view the page but some page visit counter takes long time to update, scrolling in this state is very choppy with mouse wheel and does not even work every wheel click.

2. medium sized but long animated gifs, ones in the megabyte range eg 100x200 pixels and 2 MB size cause very high cpu usage, EVEN when IE is not the active app. If I have IE minimized and am playing a game I can easily notice if the page last open in IE has a animated gif running. This is on 1.5 ghz P-M single core and having IE take ton of cpu (50-80%) to render a single gif is ridiculous when it isn't even visible.

I have Adobe PDF Reader, MS media player, Shockwave/Flash addons installed but were not active during the above scenarios.

• User profile image
    MB

sakisp wrote:
    I wonder what IE7 developers have changed to styling code and made it so slow. Maybe optimized it for Vista?

I have it installed on both XP and Server-2003 and have no issues at all with either speed or scrolling.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

ElucidWeb wrote:

Yeah I have this same issue and im running a dual core system with 2 gb of memory.  Its odd, its really bad though.  I just recently noticed on a web board with gif's on it and now I noticed some freezing issues while using zillow.com

The worst I have ever seen was from this url http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?showtopic=6212 on that thread.  Its very very bad for some reason (I hunted that thread down so I hope you try it lol) but its very very choppy scrolling on it. 
    I think its the Bryant or whatever banners.  Hope that helps you track down the problem!

Eric

I have the same problem on that page, though I dont think it's a scrollling problem directly, for me the CPU usage is 50% (dual core so one processor maxed) while on on that page, hit back and cpu drops to near zero.  I have several pages I know of that have the same problem, one even pushes the CPU usage to 95%.  If I switch tabs off the page the CPU drops to zero.  This is a clean XP-MCE machine with IE7 (no betas ever installed).

I don't see the same problem on our 2003 servers though.

• User profile image
    stealth916

After updating to the latest MS mouse drivers - I have to report that the IE7 Scrolling problem still exists. 

For the first time I also watched my CPU load for iexplore.exe - and it goes to 100% when I scroll the page I will refrence below.

Regardless of plugins - this problem is NOT exhibited on IE6.  So no one should have to go down the 'what plug in do you have' road to solve this mangy little bug.  There are more reports of this problem being independently reported every day - found via Google.

I will add one interesting observation however: The problem IS NOT EXHIBITED if I hold my mouse over a BLANK area of the page!?!

Here is an example:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

That page has horrid scrolling in IE7 with the mouse wheel.  HOWEVER - if you hold your mouse cursor to the far left and get to a white space on the page - the problem GOES AWAY. You can scroll the same page smoothly if your mouse is not over the main table or any text???  Oh well - that's the way it is for me with the latest Intellimouse driver - your mileage may vary.

It is a farce; I have no choice but to go back to IE6 for a couple of months until this gets sorted out.    Now I'll be adding a few extra months of testing to the IE7 pilot group for good measure too, before rolling it out with WSUS. 

In this case, the '7' in IE7 is a good estimate of the year tick this century that it will see the light of day in my enterprise.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.