Coffeehouse Thread

104 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 slow scrolling

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MB

For me, scrolling doesn't seem like an issue, but I always have smooth scrolling disabled... as it annoyed me even in IE6.

On the other hand... Animations and Flash in IE7 will see my CPU max out within a second or so... and the CPU fan on my PC roars like a Jumbo approaching V2... I half expect the box to rotate and take off. Everyone in the office knows when I'm looking as "moving" stuff.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I am curious what sort of graphics hardware the people with slow scrolling IE problems have in their PC's.

I have a decent ATI card (top of the line, c. 2004-05) and have not experienced any of the scrolling problems mentioned in this thread, not even on any of the several URL's pointed out as examples in this thread.

• User profile image
    stealth916

This is a plain and simple comparison of browsers: Many that do not have the problem, and one that DOES, on MANY TYPES of reference hardware.  The common denominator is IE7.

It doesn't matter what video card, CPU, mouse, etc you have.  Those items may affect the DEGREE to which you are afflicted by this IE7 mouse scrolling problem.  But let's be clear:  many people with various reference systems are reporting this problem.  It *IS* an  IE7 problem.

Here is another fine example, one I am sure you are all familiar with:

http://slashdot.org/

Again, if you scroll over the white space to the side - it goes much faster.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    athan

Scrolling issue is very noticeable when using IE maximized with a hires screen. Scrolling a webpage on 1600x1200 requires much more resources than same page on a 1280x1024 screen.
    Although I use fast systems equipped with 2-4GB RAM and very fast video cards, I still have this problem with most webpages, when scrolling them with mouse wheel.

The only fix I've found so far, is to uncheck "Enable visual styles on buttons and controls..." option in IE7 advanced settings thus I assume that something is going wrong with web control theming code.

I wonder why so far nobody from MS IE team has commented on this issue!

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

stealth916 wrote:

Again, if you scroll over the white space to the side - it goes much faster.

Same here on the pages I have issue with.

BTW this page has no flash, no animated gifs etc. 

• User profile image
    Mark301594

IE6 didn’t exhibit any jaggedness whatsoever when page scrolling, but IE7 is a completely different story. I’m glad I finally found this discussion thread because this problem has been driving me mad!

I hope Microsoft resolves this problem soon... because this is quickly becoming unbearable.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

So...any IE developers want to chime in here? Smiley  Are they aware of the issue?

• User profile image
    PetKnep

Nitz Walsh wrote:
    So...any IE developers want to chime in here?   Are they aware of the issue?

No (but I'm sick of the n-million bumps so I will) and yeah. Stop bumping the thread. It's been reported. The past 10 bumps were enough.

• User profile image
    MB

PetKnep wrote:

Nitz Walsh wrote: So...any IE developers want to chime in here?   Are they aware of the issue?

No (but I'm sick of the n-million bumps so I will) and yeah. Stop bumping the thread. It's been reported. The past 10 bumps were enough.

Well, I'll bump it again just for you... tool.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

MB wrote:

Ad hominem attacks aren't very useful for getting your point across.

• User profile image
    MB

PetKnep wrote:

MB wrote: 

If MS screwed up and people want to say that something doesn't work, then I don't give a rats how "annoyed" you get by the thread being bumped... and you can take you holier-than-thou attitute and jam it, sunshine.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

MB wrote:

PetKnep wrote: 
    MB wrote: 

If MS screwed up and people want to say that something doesn't work, then I don't give a rats how "annoyed" you get by the thread being bumped... and you can take you holier-than-thou attitute and jam it, sunshine.

We've got the issue filed.

As for the issue of my attitude, I'm not the one name calling here. Take a chill pill, grab a cup of tea and take a deep breath. It's just the internet. I'm not trying to rile anyone up here.

• User profile image
    MB

PetKnep wrote:

MB wrote: 
    PetKnep wrote: 
    MB wrote: 

As for the issue of my attitude, I'm not the one name calling here. Take a chill pill, grab a cup of tea and take a deep breath. It's just the internet. I'm not trying to rile anyone up here.

What? -- read your own post again and tell me who has the attitude issue.

Here's a news flash for you buddy... you are a Microsoft Employee... I'm a Microsoft CUSTOMER.

• User profile image
    PetKnep

MB wrote:

PetKnep wrote: 
    MB wrote: 
    PetKnep wrote: 
    MB wrote: 

What? -- read your own post again and tell me who has the attitude issue.

Here's a news flash for you buddy... you are a Microsoft Employee... I'm a Microsoft CUSTOMER.

I'm helping you with your issue. You are calling me names, getting angry and telling me to put things up my butt. Once again, it's just the internet, you should go have a cup of tea.

We can take this offline so we aren't boring everyone else. If you have any other problems with me or IE 7, go ahead and email me petknep at microsoft.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

PetKnep wrote:

While MB's responses consisting of childish insults can hardly be excused, this type of response isn't exactly indicative of professional behavoir either. 

A simple "Yes, we're aware of it" would have sufficed, which would have resulted in a "Good to hear, thanks!" response from myself.  We clearly want IE7 to be better so it can be our main browser, politely asking about a speed problem (which is very significant to some people, especially as no other browser has this) should not result in such a snarky tone. 

Hate to break it to you, but while informal, this isn't Usenet.  Gawd knows if I responded in that style when I was represeting my organization, I would have gotten a stern boot up the (I need to watch my language).

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Nitz Walsh wrote:
    Hate to break it to you, but while informal, this isn't Usenet.  Gawd knows if I responded in that style when I was represeting my organization, I would have gotten a stern boot up the (I need to watch my language).
    You're missing one of the points of Channel9.

Peter isn't representing Microsoft on Channel9, he's representing himself and while he happens to be a Microsoft employee (same as me) he's not on company time, he's not paid to do this, and his points and comments are his own.  As long as he doesn't voilate his employment agreement by discussing "Microsoft Confidential" information, he can say what he wants.

If you want us to represent Microsoft, then chances are you get dead silence on anything controversial because we're not the people paid to talk about anything controversial.

If you want us to represent Microsoft, then when it comes to bug reports or other problems, we'll send you to http:///support.microsoft.com and call it handled.  Peter and I are both paid to develop software, not support it, and certainly not support it for free.

But most people here seem to want actual interaction from Microsoft employees visiting Channel9.  And that means you don't get to pull out this "you're an employee, and I'm a customer" crap like you're yelling at the airline counter clerk.

• User profile image
    LaBomba

Somebody from the team could have if they wanted to, commented that it's a known issue and the bumping would then have ceased.

if you didn't want to comment on the issue, that's also fine, your right.

Continue to ignore but then don't get pissed at a user for trying to bring their issue to somebody's attention.

peter's being a little touchy, nobody is forcing him to read this thread.

just my 2 cents. [A]

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.