Coffeehouse Thread

104 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 slow scrolling

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

BruceMorgan wrote:

But most people here seem to want actual interaction from Microsoft employees visiting Channel9.  And that means you don't get to pull out this "you're an employee, and I'm a customer" crap like you're yelling at the airline counter clerk.

Spare me the melodrama please, I'm not the one hurling insults here.  Please indicate what you believe in my posts constitues as "yelling", I'd love to see it.  You truly believe "Hey, any IE developers want to comment on this" equates to the abuse an airline clerk receives?  You can't be serious.

No one is asking for the level of interaction that you would expect from paid support, just a small degree of professionalism in response to an honest question (that had a smiley attached, btw).  The response was uncalled for, and frankly as mentioned the "bumps" wouldn't have been necessary if someone had just responded with "Yes, it's a known issue".   Issue solved, and it would have been recieved with thanks.

And btw, the "bumps" were people chiming in with their own experience - much of this thread was about that, as all bug-related threads are.  My question was posted a whopping *one day* after the last post.  The picture you're painting of poor developers being hounded simply does not coincide with reality.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Nitz Walsh wrote:

BruceMorgan wrote: 

But most people here seem to want actual interaction from Microsoft employees visiting Channel9.  And that means you don't get to pull out this "you're an employee, and I'm a customer" crap like you're yelling at the airline counter clerk.

Spare me the melodrama please, I'm not the one hurling insults here.  Please indicate what you believe in my posts constitues as "yelling", I'd love to see it.  You truly believe "Hey, any IE developers want to comment on this" equates to the abuse an airline clerk receives?  You can't be serious.

No one is asking for the level of interaction that you would expect from paid support, just a small degree of professionalism in response to an honest question (that had a smiley attached, btw).  The response was uncalled for, and frankly as mentioned the "bumps" wouldn't have been necessary if someone had just responded with "Yes, it's a known issue".   Issue solved, and it would have been recieved with thanks.

And btw, the "bumps" were people chiming in with their own experience - much of this thread was about that, as all bug-related threads are.  My question was posted a whopping *one day* after the last post.  The picture you're painting of poor developers being hounded simply does not coincide with reality.

The latter part of my post was in response to the broader context, not just the part of your post I quoted.  MB was yelling with the "Microsoft CUSTOMER" bit - you did not.  I should have said "people don't get to yell at us", not "you".  Apologies.  MB's insults are what is getting Peter riled up...

Nitz, I don't think you don't get to expect professionalism just because we're Microsoft employees.  Common courtesy, perhaps, but not professionalism.  

While I personally believe in always taking the high road (although I don't always live up to that), I don't think anyone should expect us MS employees to ignore insults and put up with crap.   So don't be surprised if we respond in kind.

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

BruceMorgan wrote:

The latter part of my post was in response to the broader context, not just the part of your post I quoted.  MB was yelling with the "Microsoft CUSTOMER" bit - you did not.  I should have said "people don't get to yell at us", not "you".  Apologies.  MB's insults are what is getting Peter riled up...

Thank you for the apologies, appreciated. When you only quote my post though, it does tend to indicate you're directing at least the bulk of your comments in response to it alone, hence my confusion.

I agree that MB's response was extremely juvenile, and commented as such.

BM wrote:
    "While I personally believe in always taking the high road (although I don't always live up to that), I don't think anyone should expect us MS employees to ignore insults and put up with crap.   So don't be surprised if we respond in kind."

Of course not - no one is defending MB's rantings here, any MS employee would have full recourse to smack him down after those insults.  I just felt the initial respone to my query (which I felt was innocent enough) didn't warrant the annoyed tone.

BTW, I just checked and IE7's scroll speed is still slow.  What the hell are you guys doing over there?!? Smiley

(SMILEY! SMILEY!)

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Nitz Walsh wrote:
    BTW, I just checked and IE7's scroll speed is still slow.  What the hell are you guys doing over there?!?

(SMILEY! SMILEY!)

The long awaited official answer to why IE7's scrolling speed is slower on some pages:

Because

Now you know.

• User profile image
    Secret​Software

Nitz Walsh wrote: BTW, I just checked and IE7's scroll speed is still slow.  What the hell are you guys doing over there?!?

(SMILEY! SMILEY!)

They might be day dreaming as usual , re: IE8 Smiley

• User profile image
    Nitz Walsh

Why don't we ask Michael Richards the reason for IE7's slow scrolling? Smiley

• User profile image
    taylormaai

Fantastic.  That jerky scrolling was driving me nutz on a few of my favorite sites.  The un-checking the "Enable visual styles on buttons and controls on webpages" (found under TOOLS|INTERNET OPTIONS|ADVANCED(tab)) appears to have resolved the issue.  It's now smooth scrolling.  Thanks for the *tip*.

• User profile image
    California_​mike

We upgraded all our PC's in the house to use IE7, and my entire family immediately noticed the newly introduced slowness.  Microsoft products just keep getting better!

• User profile image
    mjdbb1

Any news about whether this issue is going to be addressed?

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

It's almost March 2007, and this laggy/slow wheel scrolling problem hasn't been solved yet. 

As a poster mentioned above, the slow scrolling problem disappears when you move the mouse pointer to a blank area (or white space) on the page you are scrolling in.

I have found that this scrolling issue happens when viewing ANY forum thread, where there are many posts (about 100 or so) shown at once.  It seems that the CPU gets bogged down by IE7 if the mouse pointer is in the middle of the page.  If you move the mouse pointer off to the side, and scroll while pointing to a blank area,  the scrolling is smooth, and lag-free.

The "enable visual styles" solution solves a different problem - it only helps fix those pages that are using the visual styles buttons and such.

I really hope this problem is fixed soon.  This is the only thing keeping me from switiching over from FireFox.

D.

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

BUMP!!!  [A]

• User profile image
    intelman

IE7 Scrolling is terrible. And some websites are worse than others. Like this one. http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamemain?cid=1993122107&tab=&page=0&eid=-1

It scrolls fine in Firefox 2.0.0.3 for me. But in IE7, it is pretty choppy.

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

This is a perfect description of the problem I have.  BUMP!!!

stealth916 wrote:
    After updating to the latest MS mouse drivers - I have to report that the IE7 Scrolling problem still exists. 

For the first time I also watched my CPU load for iexplore.exe - and it goes to 100% when I scroll the page I will refrence below.

Regardless of plugins - this problem is NOT exhibited on IE6.  So no one should have to go down the 'what plug in do you have' road to solve this mangy little bug.  There are more reports of this problem being independently reported every day - found via Google.

I will add one interesting observation however: The problem IS NOT EXHIBITED if I hold my mouse over a BLANK area of the page!?!

Here is an example:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

That page has horrid scrolling in IE7 with the mouse wheel.  HOWEVER - if you hold your mouse cursor to the far left and get to a white space on the page - the problem GOES AWAY. You can scroll the same page smoothly if your mouse is not over the main table or any text???  Oh well - that's the way it is for me with the latest Intellimouse driver - your mileage may vary.

It is a farce; I have no choice but to go back to IE6 for a couple of months until this gets sorted out.    Now I'll be adding a few extra months of testing to the IE7 pilot group for good measure too, before rolling it out with WSUS. 

In this case, the '7' in IE7 is a good estimate of the year tick this century that it will see the light of day in my enterprise.

• User profile image
    Jedis

I registered just to post on this thread.

IE7 scrolling is horrid on Vista. I'm having the same problem as the posters in this thread. CPU Usage jumps to 100% when scrolling a website.

... Also if I type at normal speed in this WYSIWYG editor, CPU usage jumps to 100%. This was not the case in XP running IE6.

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

IE7 slow scrolling has caused me to sign up for this web site too! BUMP!

• User profile image
    athan

DiabloNY wrote:
    IE7 slow scrolling has caused me to sign up for this web site too! BUMP!

Unfortunately there is no solution to this issue yet. I'm pretty sure that MS will do nothing before IE8. Even that I doubt it will be any faster.
    Do you remember the gold coding rule for new software versions: "smaller - faster - more efficient"? If so then forget it, it doesn't apply any more Expressionless

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

sakisp wrote:

DiabloNY wrote: IE7 slow scrolling has caused me to sign up for this web site too! BUMP!

Unfortunately there is no solution to this issue yet. I'm pretty sure that MS will do nothing before IE8. Even that I doubt it will be any faster.
    Do you remember the gold coding rule for new software versions: "smaller - faster - more efficient"? If so then forget it, it doesn't apply any more

Do you know the cause of the problem, by any chance?  I can't believe this crap...

• User profile image
    androidi

DiabloNY wrote:
    This is a perfect description of the problem I have.  BUMP!!!

stealth916 wrote: After updating to the latest MS mouse drivers - I have to report that the IE7 Scrolling problem still exists. 

For the first time I also watched my CPU load for iexplore.exe - and it goes to 100% when I scroll the page I will refrence below.

Regardless of plugins - this problem is NOT exhibited on IE6.  So no one should have to go down the 'what plug in do you have' road to solve this mangy little bug.  There are more reports of this problem being independently reported every day - found via Google.

I will add one interesting observation however: The problem IS NOT EXHIBITED if I hold my mouse over a BLANK area of the page!?!

Here is an example:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

That page has horrid scrolling in IE7 with the mouse wheel.  HOWEVER - if you hold your mouse cursor to the far left and get to a white space on the page - the problem GOES AWAY. You can scroll the same page smoothly if your mouse is not over the main table or any text???  Oh well - that's the way it is for me with the latest Intellimouse driver - your mileage may vary.

It is a farce; I have no choice but to go back to IE6 for a couple of months until this gets sorted out.    Now I'll be adding a few extra months of testing to the IE7 pilot group for good measure too, before rolling it out with WSUS. 

In this case, the '7' in IE7 is a good estimate of the year tick this century that it will see the light of day in my enterprise.

I disabled java script, it had no effect but moving the mouse cursor over the lines that separate columns and rows in makes CPU go wild, with a lot of the following in stack trace:

mshtml.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x.......

To me that doesn't tell enough to pinpoint the issue but there might be something about the stylesheet or other visual options in that page that make it heavy to process.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.