Coffeehouse Thread

104 posts

IE7 slow scrolling

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intelman

Does anyone that can fix  this actually read this? Firefox seems a lot more appealing because of this issue.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

intelman wrote:
    Does anyone that can fix  this actually read this?

Did you read this thread or are you just jumping in now?

• User profile image
    intelman

I've contributed and read.

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

androidi wrote:

DiabloNY wrote: This is a perfect description of the problem I have.  BUMP!!!

stealth916 wrote: After updating to the latest MS mouse drivers - I have to report that the IE7 Scrolling problem still exists. 

For the first time I also watched my CPU load for iexplore.exe - and it goes to 100% when I scroll the page I will refrence below.

Regardless of plugins - this problem is NOT exhibited on IE6.  So no one should have to go down the 'what plug in do you have' road to solve this mangy little bug.  There are more reports of this problem being independently reported every day - found via Google.

I will add one interesting observation however: The problem IS NOT EXHIBITED if I hold my mouse over a BLANK area of the page!?!

Here is an example:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

That page has horrid scrolling in IE7 with the mouse wheel.  HOWEVER - if you hold your mouse cursor to the far left and get to a white space on the page - the problem GOES AWAY. You can scroll the same page smoothly if your mouse is not over the main table or any text???  Oh well - that's the way it is for me with the latest Intellimouse driver - your mileage may vary.

It is a farce; I have no choice but to go back to IE6 for a couple of months until this gets sorted out.    Now I'll be adding a few extra months of testing to the IE7 pilot group for good measure too, before rolling it out with WSUS. 

In this case, the '7' in IE7 is a good estimate of the year tick this century that it will see the light of day in my enterprise.

I disabled java script, it had no effect but moving the mouse cursor over the lines that separate columns and rows in makes CPU go wild, with a lot of the following in stack trace:

mshtml.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x.......

To me that doesn't tell enough to pinpoint the issue but there might be something about the stylesheet or other visual options in that page that make it heavy to process.

Good insight.  Anybody know what that means?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

intelman wrote:
    I've contributed and read.

So you are aware that an issue has been filed and it will be considered.

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

Is it inefficiency of the programming?  Could it have something to do with the fact that IE7 does "true zooming" (zooms text AND graphics, rather than text ONLY), and therefore "sees" web pages differently than the typical browser?  This might require more processing power, and the CPU has to work hard to redraw the pointer icon when you wheel scroll over graphics and borders and whatnot...  I dunno.. Just a stab...

Or..... is it just a glitch that Microsoft overlooked?

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

Bump.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ok, I'm getting tired of this.

Stop bumping this thread.

• User profile image
    momus

On a reasonably fast computer, 1Mb mem, v. fast cable connection.

In IE7 most of the web sites work fine, but SOME are very slow in displaying and horribly slow and jerky scrolling makes them unusable.

Cases:

1. Due to "fill" in the background of the page. When I save the page locally on my computer it is still slow, but when I edit (with Word) and remove fill, the jerky problem goes away.   The fill on the slow pages  is usually done with tightly spaced horizontal lines.   I've noticed this problematic "fill" on many jerky-scroll web sites.
    For an example see:   http://www.warsawvoice.pl/

2. CNBC.com new site.     It has just been fixed!!!   Until two days ago it was atrociously slow with terribly jerky scrolling ( and I've complained to CNBC a few times).
     When I just went to check,  it scrolls fine now!   I could not edit that page locally, but the new page shows a black background displaying first and then the content.   I guess that the problem could have been also related to "fill" in the background.

With any lack Microsoft will fix this problem in the next few years...

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

momus wrote:

On a reasonably fast computer, 1Mb mem, v. fast cable connection.

In IE7 most of the web sites work fine, but SOME are very slow in displaying and horribly slow and jerky scrolling makes them unusable.

Cases:

1. Due to "fill" in the background of the page. When I save the page locally on my computer it is still slow, but when I edit (with Word) and remove fill, the jerky problem goes away.   The fill on the slow pages  is usually done with tightly spaced horizontal lines.   I've noticed this problematic "fill" on many jerky-scroll web sites.
    For an example see:   http://www.warsawvoice.pl/

2. CNBC.com new site.     It has just been fixed!!!   Until two days ago it was atrociously slow with terribly jerky scrolling ( and I've complained to CNBC a few times).
     When I just went to check,  it scrolls fine now!   I could not edit that page locally, but the new page shows a black background displaying first and then the content.   I guess that the problem could have been also related to "fill" in the background.

With any lack Microsoft will fix this problem in the next few years...

The Warsaw Voice page you link is smooth for me.

This is NOT smooth if you keep the pointer in the middle of the page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2008

But this IS smooth:
    http://www.msnbc.com

How did you fare for these links?

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

Bump.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

DiabloNY wrote:
    Bump.

The IE team is looking into it.  There's no need to keep on bumping this thread, it's not going to get you anywhere.

If I were a moderator, I'd lock this thread and ban you.  Guess it's a good thing I'm not a mod.

• User profile image
    Lloyd_Humph

You could check your mouse settings... with my MS Natural Laser 6000 (or summit like that) you can have program specific settings, perhaps you (or a fiddler family member or summit) has turned mouse sensitivity down low?

I had this problem, thats what my brother did for me. I switched to FireFox as its a much better program and i havent looked back. and yes, Opera owns.

L

If Blackberrys are addictive cellphones, Channel9 is the ultimate addictive website.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    athan

Lloyd_Humph wrote:
    I switched to FireFox as its a much better program and i havent looked back.

Firefox ? No thanks, I prefer living with IE7 issues Wink

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

DiabloNY wrote: Bump.

The IE team is looking into it.  There's no need to keep on bumping this thread, it's not going to get you anywhere.

If I were a moderator, I'd lock this thread and ban you.  Guess it's a good thing I'm not a mod.

The IE team has had a long-enough time to fix this issue.  If we keep this thread active and keep discussing the issue, there's a possibility that someone talented might be able to solve (or at least find the cause of) this problem.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

DiabloNY wrote:
    The IE team has had a long-enough time to fix this issue. 

The IE team will put a fix for this issue out probably in the SP1 or IE8 timeframe.

Stop bumping this thread, as it will not expedite any kind of resolution this way.
    DiabloNY wrote:
    If we keep this thread active and keep discussing the issue, there's a possibility that someone talented might be able to solve (or at least find the cause of) this problem.

Are you implying that nobody "talented" took a look at this?

• User profile image
    DiabloNY

PaoloM wrote:

DiabloNY wrote: The IE team has had a long-enough time to fix this issue. 

The IE team will put a fix for this issue out probably in the SP1 or IE8 timeframe.

Stop bumping this thread, as it will not expedite any kind of resolution this way.
    DiabloNY wrote: If we keep this thread active and keep discussing the issue, there's a possibility that someone talented might be able to solve (or at least find the cause of) this problem.

No.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

DiabloNY wrote:

PaoloM wrote: 
    DiabloNY wrote: The IE team has had a long-enough time to fix this issue. 

DiabloNY wrote: If we keep this thread active and keep discussing the issue, there's a possibility that someone talented might be able to solve (or at least find the cause of) this problem.

No.

So why did you say

there's a possibility that someone talented might be able to solve (or at least find the cause of) this problem.

One last time: the bug is filed. It will be fixed when there's time to fix it. A fix will be released when it's time to ship fixes.

Stop
    bumping
    this
    thread.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.