Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Do X, and the C9 Interviews will be better.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jsampsonPC

WHERE X = "Screen Recorder";

Okay, so alot of the time the c9 interviews pan over and gaze into a dull monitor, which is a bit annoying because the programmer is explaining a process as he/she goes through doing a serious of commands, and/or functions/features - and I can't see what they're doing...

Would c9 consider recording the desktops of these interviewees and then use the avi product within the c9 interview?

I understand that this would take a little more editing time, but the end result would be much more superior to the current method.

Just a kind request,
    Jonathan

• User profile image
    Chadk

I think it would remove the charm, and convert C9 into MSDN TV.

• User profile image
    Tensor

I belive this has been requested in the past but ruled out. I'm with chadk on this one. C9 is about people first, whats on the monitor second.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

...hardly Smiley

C9 is done on a personal digital video camera, with (what looks to be) very little video editing. It appears to be non-scripted, or atleast loosely-scripted, and allows for deviating from any script at any time. C9 is much more laid back and comfortable than MSDN TV if you ask me.

I just think a better view of the desktops would be excellent and much more helpful than the popular shaky-cam view Smiley

Jonathan

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Tensor wrote:
    I belive this has been requested in the past but ruled out. I'm with chadk on this one. C9 is about people first, whats on the monitor second.

I'd have to disagree here. I'm watching the latest Video right now on C++ IDE shortcuts, etc, and this is ALL about the VisualC++ IDE and some of its new features...Sure Bjoris (what was his name?) is a pretty cool guy too, but the videos aren't exclusively about the people being interviewed, but isntead about the technology.

• User profile image
    Ang3lFir3

While I agree that often times its nearly impossible to see the interviewee's screen to follow along.... I have to disagree with adding screen casts to the vid.... one of c9 vid's most notable properties is that they are (for the most part) un-edited...

However, I think it would be beneficial if said interviewee's could post screen casts to coincide with the videos in each video thread... for the most part you are going to want to replay the screen cast itself more than the video anyways.....

and wats with the ";"  Mr? us VB guys gotta represent. (*turns hat back around*)

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Ang3lFir3 wrote:
    While I agree that often times its nearly impossible to see the interviewee's screen to follow along.... I have to disagree with adding screen casts to the vid.... one of c9 vid's most notable properties is that they are (for the most part) un-edited...

However, I think it would be beneficial if said interviewee's could post screen casts to coincide with the videos in each video thread... for the most part you are going to want to replay the screen cast itself more than the video anyways.....

and wats with the ";"  Mr? us VB guys gotta represent. (*turns hat back around*)

Forgive my lust for semicolons Smiley I'm transitioning from PHP to VB.NET Smiley

• User profile image
    j0217995

I think some videos, like the latest one should have some form of screen capture, but obviously Scoble's last intervew doesn't really need screen catpures?
    Some videos that I have seen don't need screen caputres and others should.  Mix and match them?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

j0217995 wrote:
    I think some videos, like the latest one should have some form of screen capture, but obviously Scoble's last intervew doesn't really need screen catpures?
    Some videos that I have seen don't need screen caputres and others should.  Mix and match them?

Excellent point; Some videos don't need anything like this (ie Scobles video). However, some of them woudl benefit greatly by using a screen-capture option.

You know what would be cool...if you had a digital video camera which plugged into the computers USB, and then at any time, you could switch over and receive video from the desktop, and then back to the camera lense again Smiley

Then you kill editing time Smiley

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

jsampsonPC wrote:

j0217995 wrote: I think some videos, like the latest one should have some form of screen capture, but obviously Scoble's last intervew doesn't really need screen catpures?

Excellent point; Some videos don't need anything like this (ie Scobles video). However, some of them woudl benefit greatly by using a screen-capture option.

You know what would be cool...if you had a digital video camera which plugged into the computers USB, and then at any time, you could switch over and receive video from the desktop, and then back to the camera lense again

Then you kill editing time

That's almost exactly what I've been brainstorming over the last week.  We're still thinking about this.  Hopefully we can come up with something that would make it so we still don't really have to do any editing and isn't a ton of equipment to have to carry around.  We'll let you know if we figure something out.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

HumanCompiler wrote:

That's almost exactly what I've been brainstorming over the last week.  We're still thinking about this.  Hopefully we can come up with something that would make it so we still don't really have to do any editing and isn't a ton of equipment to have to carry around.  We'll let you know if we figure something out.

Does anybody else want a HumanCompiler plush-toy for their desk? Doesn't it seem as though HumanCompiler always takes away our frustrations, and generally makes the world a better place?

If only he came in a plush exterior that we could keep near-by always.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

jsampsonPC wrote:

HumanCompiler wrote:

Does anybody else want a HumanCompiler plush-toy for their desk? Doesn't it seem as though HumanCompiler always takes away our frustrations, and generally makes the world a better place?

If only he came in a plush exterior that we could keep near-by always.

Is there a blushing smilie?  Tongue Out

(i see one with red cheeks, but he looks more ashamed than anything)

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Doing screen captures is just impractical for the Channel 9 team. We get a lot of interviews because we get in, do the interview, and get out.

Doing screen capture software would make that process MUCH longer and would make editing much harder too.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

scobleizer wrote:

Doing screen capture software would make that process MUCH longer and would make editing much harder too.

Absolutely!  That's why I'm brainstorming (with a few others) about how we can do it WITHOUT any screen capture software and all live, so there is NO EDITING still.  Smiley

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

scobleizer wrote:
    Doing screen captures is just impractical for the Channel 9 team. We get a lot of interviews because we get in, do the interview, and get out.

Your opinion no longer counts! Just playing. I completely agree if that was the route to take. But as I said before, if there ever was a way to toggle back and forth from Camera to desktop (live), that would be an amazing benefit.

I don't know if they make anything like that* for a digital camera, but it would be excellent if they did.

(* A digital camera which can plug into a PCs USB and record from the desktop, or from the camera itself. That way, the video can be recording the interviewee, and when they say, "Let me show you this new feature", the camera man can hit [toggle], and begin to record the desktop's video)

Good to see you still around Scobe'ster!

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

jsampsonPC wrote:

(* A digital camera which can plug into a PCs USB and record from the desktop, or from the camera itself. That way, the video can be recording the interviewee, and when they say, "Let me show you this new feature", the camera man can hit [toggle], and begin to record the desktop's video)

EXACTLY!  That's what we're trying to come up with.  Where the camera is basically sending a live feed to a laptop and there's a video converter on the person's VGA-out and a switch (either physical or software, not sure yet) that allows the interview to push (or click) and do everything live.  Again, so there's still no editing involved and no software they have to install.

• User profile image
    Charles

I've started using a MUCH better camera and I think you'll see nicer demos thanks to the excellent zooming ability of the camera. Still, jacking into the computer will be interesting, depending upon how accessible the usb port is Smiley

C

PS: See, Scoble is still a Niner and an extented (external) 9 team member!

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.