Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How Do You Find Inspiration?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ShakesPeer

A quick poll...how do you find inspiration for projects you are working on for your job or a hobby?

a) From other similiar projects you've seen
    b) From books
    c) By doing something completely unrelated (taking a walk)
    d) By looking at great art (paintings, movies, etc.)
    e) By listening to music
    f) Something else

I'd have to say I rely on all of the above at some time or another.

After all, "code is art".

Side note: What Kind of Genius Are You?

Wink

Cheers.
    Will.

• User profile image
    steel300

I've relied upon all of those at one point as well. I mostly gather ideas by working, then thinking to myself "I wish there was a tool that did this." 

Also, while learning a new language, I'll look at the core philosophy of the language, then try and come up with an idea off of that. Some languages lend themselves well to this (Perl, Lisp), while others are insanely difficult for this task (C, Java, Asm).

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I'm reading the source code that is provided with the two reference implementations that come with the Smart Client Software Factory.

Very inspiring, imho.

Bach and Mozart work well for me too to stimulate inspiration.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Taking with my peers is where I most of my inspiration comes from.

A quiet space with no noise is the other, so when I'm driving, in the bath, siting in my home office or the garden.

I find that great views inspire me, this is why I have land-scape paintings all over my house and work environment.

• User profile image
    winlonghorn​06

I gain my inspiration by thinking about how I could solve many of the problems in my life with software Smiley It is simple enough, the strong desire to get rid of the problem in my life pushes me to get the software done.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I find my inspiration at the bottom of a brandy snifter.

Kidding!

I usually look at what other people have done first. Then just go do something completely different...like listen to music or mow the lawn. Then the ideas usually follow a little while later...I think this process was once called "ideation".

• User profile image
    Rotem Kirshenbaum

I talk with my friends or take a long quiet walk. Sometimes ideas come when you least expect them, when your mind is free from burden.

If that doesn't work, I find that inspiration comes while you try different things, refactoring ideas like mad along the way.

Code IS art. That's something most people forget or don't know.

Rotem

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

ShakesPeer wrote:
    A quick poll...how do you find inspiration for projects you are working on for your job or a hobby?

a) From other similiar projects you've seen
    b) From books
    c) By doing something completely unrelated (taking a walk)
    d) By looking at great art (paintings, movies, etc.)
    e) By listening to music
    f) Something else

I'd have to say I rely on all of the above at some time or another.

After all, "code is art".

Side note: What Kind of Genius Are You?

Cheers.
    Will.
    answer: c, d, a, b, f: i need to remember

• User profile image
    serishema

I seem to find inspiration to develop things just from life itself. I see something in my day to day life and think wouldn't it be cool if. Or the other thing i get ideas from is just from using technology. I find things i use every day are lacking in some way and i'll say "my phone should be able to do xyz" and then i look at building it. With writing code probably the number one thing is powerful technologies that can support my application. Anything that makes me not have to write huge underlying code bases that will take me a year.

Stuff like being able to embed SQL Express into my application instead of having to write my own DB or tagetting the CLR instead of x86 because it's easier to write a compiler for.

Like for example i'm in the process of writing a little app that sits in the notification area and if you are connected to your home wifi network (based on the SSID) it will change the power scheme and disable going to sleep when you close the lid. It'll also disable going to sleep when you close the lid if you are plugged into power.  I got this idea simply because i found the default behaviour anoying.

• User profile image
    cheong

My vote goes to "all of the above". Smiley

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.