Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Will IE add a built-in spell checker?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    LaBomba
  • User profile image
    mattcampbell

I just use the google toolbar for Internet Explorer+Firefox.Smiley

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

To be more specific...FireFox2.0 Beta 1 now checks your spelling as you use form elements which allow textinput.

When incorrect words are recognized (real-time), they are immediately underlined.

If you right click on the underlined words, you will get a list of spelling suggestions in the context menu.

VERY COOL Smiley

• User profile image
    DMassy

Not part of the plan for IE7. Maybe something for a future release...

In the meantime http://www.iespell.com/

Thanks
    -Dave

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Dmassy,

What is you role in the IE development?

Regards,
    Jonathan

• User profile image
    keeron

jsampsonPC wrote:
    Dmassy,

Regards,
    Jonathan

He gets to tell the devs what to fix Wink (j/k)

http://blogs.msdn.com/dmassy/about.aspx

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

DMassy wrote:
    Not part of the plan for IE7. Maybe something for a future release...

Thanks
    -Dave

I've been using that for years. Highly recommended.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Judging by the sweet car, He's gotta be somebody important Smiley

I drive a 2001 Nissan Smiley But hey, I got electric seats.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

UnoriginalGuy wrote:

DMassy wrote:Not part of the plan for IE7. Maybe something for a future release...

Thanks
    -Dave

I've been using that for years. Highly recommended.

I just checked it out; doesn't look as easy and appealing as FFx's; but it looks like it gets the job done.

I'd love to see IE eventually have one built in. It bums me out that all of the sweet functionality has to be made by some 16 year old kid in his momma's basement..and then the major developers of these browsers have to forward us to somebody's app-page to get this type of functionality...

Although a buddy of mine showed me some neat new things in IE - like the mega-sweet tab-shifting, and how it shows (if I'mnot mistaken) thumbnails? That's pretty nice!

I'm also eagerly awaiting to get my hands on a version of IE that runs the virtual-system thing, which thwarts attempts by losers to download spyware crap on your pc...that is going to be an awesome addition.

Massy, is there a drop-box for suggestions? Smiley

• User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

jsampsonPC wrote:
    I just checked it out; doesn't look as easy and appealing as FFx's; but it looks like it gets the job done.

I'd love to see IE eventually have one built in. It bums me out that all of the sweet functionality has to be made by some 16 year old kid in his momma's basement..and then the major developers of these browsers have to forward us to somebody's app-page to get this type of functionality...

As opposed to an entire browser developed by a sixteen year old in his basement?

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

What, firefox? That's gotta be one dag'um smart 16 year old Smiley

My point was that the functionality that people desire the most, doesn't typically come from the big-wallet developers themselves...it always comes from some no-name joe down the corner who has a love for software.

I have no problem using applications developed by 16 year olds. When I taught in Chicago, some of my 11 year olds were writing pretty advanced ActionScript in Flash, and I was often blown away by their ability to develop.

• User profile image
    Aptly Goodie

I think most people simply overlook (and taking for granted) things that big companies brought forth, and set low standards for creations by 16 year old basement dwelling kids. XMLHttpRequest came from MS and still people say the company never innovates.

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

Aptly Goodie wrote:
    I think most people simply overlook (and taking for granted) things that big companies brought forth, and set low standards for creations by 16 year old basement dwelling kids. XMLHttpRequest came from MS and still people say the company never innovates.

OK, We'll give MS that one, but it's what, 5+ years old. No inovation since <::joke> ? That the best you can come up with in a 60,000+ employee company ? :O

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Aptly Goodie wrote:

I wouldn't say that they're "never innovative", but to be realistic, XMLHttpRequest is cool, but a little old. They have come out with some neat stuff in the past.

I remember when I first started writing HTML, I was using Netscape as my main browser. When I came across the "background" property for the <body> tag, I thought..."Hey, I wonder if that would work for a <td> tag, too." So I tried it, and guess what - Netscape didn't support "background" on a <td> at that time.

If I had only been using Microsoft (who did support it at that time), I wold have been much happier, and my education would have be much more encouraged.

• User profile image
    DMassy

keeron wrote:

jsampsonPC wrote: Dmassy,

Regards,
    Jonathan

He gets to tell the devs what to fix Wink (j/k)

http://blogs.msdn.com/dmassy/about.aspx

Smiley
    I'm responsible for part of the developer experience including the developer toolbar and SDK documentation on MSDN and scripting technologies amongst other things. There's a team of Program Managers on Internet Explorer that work alongside the developers and testers to define the product and keep the project on track. It's a fun job and not without its challenges.
    We have acknowledged a few times now that we went quiet after IE6 shipped for far too long. The IE team is back, hard at work on IE7 and committed to regular and frequent releases of IE moving forward. This is a fun time to work on IE, there's so much to do.
    If you have suggestions and/or bugs to report in IE you can use the feedback mechanisms outlined on the support page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/support/default.mspx
    I'm happy to engage in conversations here when I have a moment (and the trolls don't derail it). However the mechanisms on the above link really are the best way to leave feedback and be sure that it is seen by the appropriate part of the team.

Thanks
    -Dave

• User profile image
    jamie

well it is july 17 today - but if it was july 21 - i could say it has been 2 years since i posted this about spell checking in ie (if you have Word installed - it uses the engine)

• User profile image
    DoomBringer

It'd be a neato value add if installing Office installed a thing to spellcheck in IE.  Word's spellcheck is the best I've ever used.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.