Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

IE7 favicon.ico Bug ?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

It seems IE7 is having a bug in displaying favicon.ico. The favicon on my website is not displayed by IE7 Beta3. I even added html tags (see below) in head field to get the icon in address bar.

<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
    But no help.

It seems no problem with my webpage as Firefox v1.5 is displaying the icon without any trouble.

Any guess ?

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    Mr Ribs

Is anyone else having a problem with websites that have no favicon stealing the icon from a neighbouring favorite?

• User profile image
    Rowan

On a related subject, C9's favicon doesn't display in my Firefox bookmarks for some strange reason. It's the only bookmark on my toolbar without a favicon.
    Sad

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Rowan wrote:
    On a related subject, C9's favicon doesn't display in my Firefox bookmarks for some strange reason. It's the only bookmark on my toolbar without a favicon.
    Sad

Firefox has a strange favicon behaviour. When you add a site to the Bookmarks list its favicon isn't immediately displayed. Only when you click on the bookmark does Firefox load the favicon and save it.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Is your .ico really an ICO, or is it a renamed JPG or PNG?

Give me a link to your site (email it if you want) and I'll check it out.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

I have the same issue, sometimes IE7 puts the IGN icon or the BetaNews icon on half the sites I visit.

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

BruceMorgan wrote:

Its a 32x32 ICO file created in VC++ from scratch. The link to it is http://www.technitium.com/favicon.ico

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

W3bbo wrote:

Rowan wrote:On a related subject, C9's favicon doesn't display in my Firefox bookmarks for some strange reason. It's the only bookmark on my toolbar without a favicon.
    Sad

Firefox has a strange favicon behaviour. When you add a site to the Bookmarks list its favicon isn't immediately displayed. Only when you click on the bookmark does Firefox load the favicon and save it.

I just did this, and you're right. It works like this Smiley

• User profile image
    figuerres

BruceMorgan wrote:

here is a strange bug:

sometimes a page will swap the background image with some other image on that page.

I have not yet done a full screen-cap and bug post on this as the first times I thought i was tweaking-out / seeing things.

it seems to pick a small image that tiles all over the page.

like say the Passport "SignOut" image becoming the background of this page.

not sure yet what triggers it.... freaky!

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

shreyasonline wrote:
    It seems IE7 is having a bug in displaying favicon.ico. The favicon on my website is not displayed by IE7 Beta3. I even added html tags (see below) in head field to get the icon in address bar.
    But no help.

It seems no problem with my webpage as Firefox v1.5 is displaying the icon without any trouble.

Any guess ?

Shreyas Zare

You have cache-control: no-cache on every image on your page, including the favicon.  As requested, the icon is not getting cached or stored anywhere, including as a favicon in a favorite.

That's why IE (5, 6, or 7) won't display your favicon.  You essentially said "only render this image in the page, forget about it after that" with cache-control: no-cache.

BTW, Fiddler is invaluable for this sort of diagnosis.

• User profile image
    Rowan

W3bbo wrote:

Rowan wrote:On a related subject, C9's favicon doesn't display in my Firefox bookmarks for some strange reason. It's the only bookmark on my toolbar without a favicon.
    Sad

Do you know how many times I've clicked on it?

Tongue Out

• User profile image
    nachbar

I am having the same thing on my website:

www.plastic.org/1

I have a 32 x 32 favicon.ico in the root (www.plastic.org/favicon.ico).  I also tried adding the link tags, and have tried several versions without success.  My IE7 shows other sites' favicons (including channel 9) in the address bar.  I have also tried turning off IE add-ons, and have tried deleting my temporary internet files

I get the favicon saved when I save the site as a favorite in IE6 (that is true even the main site, at www.plastic.org, which doesn't have any link tags).  However, with IE7 I neither get the favicon saved with a favorite nor get the favicon in the address bar.

Any ideas?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

nachbar wrote:

www.plastic.org/1

I have a 32 x 32 favicon.ico in the root (www.plastic.org/favicon.ico).  I also tried adding the link tags, and have tried several versions without success.  My IE7 shows other sites' favicons (including channel 9) in the address bar.  I have also tried turning off IE add-ons, and have tried deleting my temporary internet files

I get the favicon saved when I save the site as a favorite in IE6 (that is true even the main site, at www.plastic.org, which doesn't have any link tags).  However, with IE7 I neither get the favicon saved with a favorite nor get the favicon in the address bar.

Any ideas?

Your favicon displays fine in IE7 here:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• User profile image
    shreyasonli​ne

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

nachbar wrote:

www.plastic.org/1

Any ideas?

Your favicon displays fine in IE7 here:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I too can see the sites icon in IE7.

Shreyas Zare

• User profile image
    nachbar

Thank you for that feedback.  I guess its a problem with my own setup and/or locally cached files, perhaps during development.  At least I now know that others are seeing the icon!

Thanks again!

• User profile image
    gail8beans

BruceMorgan wrote:

shreyasonline wrote: It seems IE7 is having a bug in displaying favicon.ico. The favicon on my website is not displayed by IE7 Beta3. I even added html tags (see below) in head field to get the icon in address bar.
    But no help.

Any guess ?

Shreyas Zare

You have cache-control: no-cache on every image on your page, including the favicon.  As requested, the icon is not getting cached or stored anywhere, including as a favicon in a favorite.

That's why IE (5, 6, or 7) won't display your favicon.  You essentially said "only render this image in the page, forget about it after that" with cache-control: no-cache.

BTW, Fiddler is invaluable for this sort of diagnosis.

I've been having the same problem with the favicon not showing up in IE 6 and 7. Firefox, Netscape and Safari all see the favicon. Tried linking, dumping cache, history and many other suggestions out there on the Internet but nothing worked.

Your answer was over my head but it got me thinking about cache. I have graphics preloading on my page so I went in and added the favicon.ico to the preload and it worked!

• User profile image
    Pyros9

Help please.  Ever since I upgraded to IE7, I can not see ANY favicons at all.  I realize this is probably just a problem with my settings, but can someone please tell me what's wrong? 

I have my cache set to automatically check for newer versions of stored pages automatically, and a cache size of 300.  Dell Dimension 2.6Ghtz w/1GB RAM.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Thank you,

Pyros9

• User profile image
    gardene

no-cache is NOT the reason for the favicon not working.

icons with 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48 work fine. there are ppl stating that the solution is to use an icon that does not have 32x32 but merely 16x16.  thats not true. 
    use iconedit32, its freeware.

use this:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />

it seems that in my case type="x-icon"   was the reason for the favicon not displaying in ie7.
    i have not tried to use type="ico", maybe that works. let me know

while testing, make sure you
    -clear your ie cache (your browser's cache)
    -press ctrl+f5 repeatedly

cheers

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.