Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How can I clean my LCD monitor?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

OK so my LCD screen has spots (from caughing) and finger print marks on it. I am wondering what the best method to clean it is.

I used to clean my CRT monitor with Windex glass cleaner and it worked real well since the screen was infact glass. But LCDs are more sensitive with a thin plastic screen.

Using a damp cloth didn't work as well as I would like.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

They make sell LCD wipes in stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc...

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

I spray Windex onto a paper towel and then whipe the screen with it.  It sounds too abrasive, but it works nicely.  I found that out because I needed to clean the screen of my tablet PC, and that's what Toshiba said to do.  I tried it on my other LCD screens and have been doing that ever since.  It works great.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    I spray Windex onto a paper towel and then whipe the screen with it.  It sounds too abrasive, but it works nicely.  I found that out because I needed to clean the screen of my tablet PC, and that's what Toshiba said to do.  I tried it on my other LCD screens and have been doing that ever since.  It works great.

But I've read that it eventually yellows the LCD screen?

Maybe I'll try it deluted or vinegar and water.

Thanks,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    out180

alwaysmc2 wrote:

I always thought Windex + LCDs was BAD.  A tablet has a protective screen over the LCD so it would stand to reason that it would hold up better to Windex.  I don't have any proof it's bad, just always heard that.  Am I the only one?

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

out180 wrote:

alwaysmc2 wrote: I spray Windex onto a paper towel and then whipe the screen with it.  It sounds too abrasive, but it works nicely.  I found that out because I needed to clean the screen of my tablet PC, and that's what Toshiba said to do.  I tried it on my other LCD screens and have been doing that ever since.  It works great.

I always thought Windex + LCDs was BAD.  A tablet has a protective screen over the LCD so it would stand to reason that it would hold up better to Windex.  I don't have any proof it's bad, just always heard that.  Am I the only one?

Tablets do have a protective screen, but I've been using Windex on my deskotp LCD monitors since September (about once every two months or so) and have experianced no adverse effects.

• User profile image
    TimP

I did some looking and plain old water and a non-abrasive cloth seems to be the best way to do it. They specifically recommended against using alcohol based cleaners because they may eventually cause cracking in the screen. I used water and it worked well.

• User profile image
    staceyw

1) Kensington Screen Guardian or 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and clean water.  Both have the same ingredients.

2) Wipe clean with 3M micro-fiber cloths or clean T-shirt.

Don't use Windex or anything with ammonia in it, as it can etch the screen surface over time and cause the plastic to go cloudy.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

I just order some LCD cleaner and LCD clothes from Staples.com, works great, though like all cleaners it tends to streak.

• User profile image
    Xaero_​Vincent

I just used a 1:1 rubbing alcohol water mixture and applied it to the screen using a cotton ball then dried it with a tissue. It got rid of the spots and dust perfectly.

No need to go spend $10-20 on a cleaning kit. Smiley

Regards,
    Vincent

• User profile image
    mattcampbell

Windows Glass cleaner not to much spray it on a rag works for me.

• User profile image
    BenZillaThe​Second

• User profile image
    W3bbo

mattcampbell wrote:
    Windows Glass cleaner not to much spray it on a rag works for me.

What? Aero can get dirty?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    Tablets do have a protective screen, but I've been using Windex on my deskotp LCD monitors since September (about once every two months or so) and have experianced no adverse effects.

Holy crap people. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever use glass cleaner on your monitors. It has chemicals that can eat through the special coatings on them.

Window cleaner is for "windows". Go get some proper cleaning liquids designs for displays. They're not expensive.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Harlequin wrote:

alwaysmc2 wrote:Tablets do have a protective screen, but I've been using Windex on my deskotp LCD monitors since September (about once every two months or so) and have experianced no adverse effects.

Holy crap people. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever use glass cleaner on your monitors. It has chemicals that can eat through the special coatings on them.

Window cleaner is for "windows". Go get some proper cleaning liquids designs for displays. They're not expensive.

Not even "monitor cleaning" wipes are good enough for some CRTs.

One day my dad bought some of that bog-standard "PC Line"-branded monitor cleaning wipes from PC World. Clearly it was intended for consumer-grade monitors (I've got expensive tastes, my primary is a professional-grade monitor with some ultra-special coating), aparently I completely wrecked the coating.

"Lucky" for me the monitor got a warranty replacement shortly afterwards due to DDC failure. (The two "Refurbished" replacements failed too, the third one's been doing fine the past 2 years)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.