Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    die-Sel

    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/benefits/fundamentals.mspx

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001761&source=rss_news10


    Now this was kept quite or my eyes have stopped working. Seems like a nice idea but i dont think it will stop users from slapping linux on to a Legacy machine. the software is offered only to customers on Microsoft's Software Assurance licensing and maintenance program so its out of reach of everyday users

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    die-Sel wrote:
    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/benefits/fundamentals.mspx

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001761&source=rss_news10


    Now this was kept quite or my eyes have stopped working. Seems like a nice idea but i dont think it will stop users from slapping linux on to a Legacy machine. the software is offered only to customers on Microsoft's Software Assurance licensing and maintenance program so its out of reach of everyday users



    I wonder if it will reach MSDN? It would be interesting to see what you can and can't do on it with regards to your own code.

    Plus I have an old PIII I could put it on Smiley

  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

    Comment removed at user's request.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Maybe Charles should look into doing a video and having the team do an overview for us.

  • User profile image
    TimP

    It's a good idea on Microsoft's part. A nice alternative for customers getting off Windows 9x.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    UnoriginalGuy wrote:
    I'd use it as my main OS if:

    - It wasn't crippled
    - It supported full Win32 application compat
    - It has less float-ware


    A few threads ago you said you wanted a Windows that didn't have all the bloat of XP Pro.

    ...now you're saying that the product that would meet your needs doesn't...despite that it has no artificial restrictions (well, not any not found in XP Pro)

  • User profile image
    TimP

    A Bink.nu screenshot showed that even the venerable "ping" command line utility had been removed.

  • User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

    I'd use it as my main OS if:

    - It wasn't crippled
    - It supported full Win32 application compat
    - It has less bloat-ware (than Windows XP)

  • User profile image
    Unoriginal​Guy

    W3bbo wrote:
    
    UnoriginalGuy wrote: I'd use it as my main OS if:

    - It wasn't crippled
    - It supported full Win32 application compat
    - It has less float-ware


    A few threads ago you said you wanted a Windows that didn't have all the bloat of XP Pro.

    ...now you're saying that the product that would meet your needs doesn't...despite that it has no artificial restrictions (well, not any not found in XP Pro)


    Sorry I meant "Less bloat-ware than Windows XP" ... Not less than it already has... I have no idea how bloating this new OS has.

    But I feel Microsoft will cripple it... Like make it uni-processor only, or limit it to 512 MB / RAM or only allow x number of processes.

  • User profile image
    TimP

    UnoriginalGuy wrote:
    But I feel Microsoft will cripple it... Like make it uni-processor only, or limit it to 512 MB / RAM or only allow x number of processes.


    It's called "Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs" for a reason. I don't think they're looking to make an XP Pro killer... I also don't think there are many legacy PCs with a gig of RAM and a dual core processor.

    I wish MS would release a 90 day trial or something because I'd like to run it on a VM and see what exactly is different.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    It doesnt even have ping, so Im assuming that its a really cut down install.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    rjdohnert wrote:
    It doesnt even have ping, so Im assuming that its a really cut down install.


    I find that very hard to believe, "ping" is an essential tool for enterprise IT admins, and Windows Fundamentals is meant for enterprise situations.

  • User profile image
    eddwo

    I don't think "Full Win32 app compat" and "Without all the bloat of XP Pro" can be achieved in the same product. Much of the "bloat" in XP Pro is all the libraries for supporting applications, and thier configuration settings.

    You could build a stripped down system without COM+, MSMQ, MDAC, SAPI, TAPI, DirectX, UPNP,  etc, that might very well still run a lot of the most basic Win32 programs, but there would be a huge number of programs that work on XP Pro that wouldn't run on the stripped down version because they depend on the higher level libraries and services being present.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.