Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

How long your OS live? Or how fast it dead? CRASH!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Beetlejuice

Hi,

in 1999 y. in my old PC was Windows 98 SE, OS live 1 year then crash, then again live 1,5 year then crash again... can you believe this Expressionless

In 2003 in my last PC was Win XP - max it live 2 years. Fast dead after 1 month ...

In my base work - Win 2003 standart server in claster still live (~2 years), it live after 2 viruses epidemic... i hope it live still more.

All OS use very often and very actively.

How long your OS live? Or how fast it dead?
    I mean crashing not hardware component reason.

• User profile image
    Angus

I haven't had to reformat my machine for about 9 months now if I remember correctly, although I would like to but currently the recovery disk given to me by Tiny Computers (now bankrupt) cannot get a 'BIOS Lock' on my computer due to very slight hardware changes. Perplexed

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

my powerPC mac mini has been running since I bought it (on release day in the UK)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I tend to wipe my OS only after having had beta stuff on it. For instance the last time I did it was after VS2005 was released.

At the school where my dad works we've got 2 Windows 2000 servers that were installed five years ago, still going strong (albeit a bit slow, but that's more to do with the five year old hardware than anything else).

• User profile image
    Beetlejuice

partly, OS life time depend on programms you install and use, 2 years i use virtual technology (VMWare, Virtual PC) and all new programms i install first in virtual...if all ok and if i need use it often then i install it on base OS.
    I think many OS problems disappear when first use Virtual OS  !!! Smiley

• User profile image
    fdisk

I dunno. I haven't used Windows all that often lately. My Linux install seems to be working just fine. But, when I did use Windows 95 and 98 in the past, reinstalls were common. Usually it was a result of installing/uninstalling a proprietary IDE of some sort. I rarely had hardware failures.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

fdisk wrote:
    But, when I did use Windows 95 and 98 in the past, reinstalls were common.

Yeah, those were pretty bad in that regard. You really can't compare 9x to NT (2000, XP, Vista).

• User profile image
    CyberGeek

I've never actually been much of one for trying for long uptimes. In that regard, I've had no computer on longer than a day or two.

As far as time since I last reformatted and reinstalled, my PC hasn't been wiped clean since 2003. The significance of that is reduced a fair bit, though, since I've rarely turned it on in the past year. After I got my Mac I switched to it for most of my day to day tasks, I mostly just turn on my PC to play Half-Life.

• User profile image
    blowdart

I've had uptime on a Win2k server of 2.5 years uptime, because all that was exposed was a single asp script on an iislockdowned server. so it was never patched, because nothing ever affected it.

then someone shorted out the power supply in the room by plugging in one too many servers. heh.

• User profile image
    mattcampbell

I've had a presario since 98 with Win '98 pre-installed. Then upgraded to xp. I've had to reformat my hard drive and do a clean install several times. Yeah, tried running vista on it for fun..wasn't a good idea:D

• User profile image
    julianbenja​min

I regularly re-install every 6 months or so.  For some reason, it just starts going to pieces.

But, i'm not complaining.  It gives me a chance to test different editions of Windows.  Currently, I'm using MCE 2005.

• User profile image
    jamie

same install since march 23 2005

* goes to show how good xp is

• User profile image
    webmonkey

This install has been going since 19th feb 2005.

Its unbelievably cluttered and I've been meaning to reinstall for months. I got a nice popup message a few hours ago "WARNING, your C: drive has 64Mb remaining, this is dangerously low would you like to......." OOOPS!

This is what happens when you keep finding all this beta software that looks cool Wink

• User profile image
    j0217995

When I atteneded the Windows 2000 release, I received a cpy of Windows 2000 Advanced Server and built it as soon as I could.  Haven't re-built it since then.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    cheong

If you'll call Novell 3.X fileserver as OS... Last month I've seen my first built fileserver still running. And it's owner told me that it lives for 11 years... and only have to rebooted 3 times within the period. Smiley

Do I win a prize for that? Wink

Sadly it's about to retire now...

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

mine was 1 year 

jamie wrote:
    same install since march 23 2005

what software do you run on it jamie?

• User profile image
    jamie

Ion Todirel wrote:
    mine was 1 year 

jamie wrote: same install since march 23 2005

what software do you run on it jamie?

the staples (office/winzip/winrar/winamp/corel painter/coreldraw 13/photoshop cs/ photoshop3/ quark 4.01/ premier 6/ vegas / soundforge / sonar / nero vision / nero burning rom / photostory / FF (yes ff) picassa / ftp explorer (fastest - but most unreliable) adaware / spybot / frontpage / azerus / emule / flock /

bla bla  Wink

edit - what do i use most?

(office/winzip/winrar/winamp/corel painter/coreldraw 13/photoshop cs/ photoshop3/ quark 4.01/ premier 6/ vegas / soundforge / sonar / nero vision / nero burning rom / photostory / FF (yes ff) picassa / ftp explorer (fastest - but most unreliable) adaware / spybot / frontpage / azerus / emule / flock /

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.