Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A possible new forum for Channel 9?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

Just looking at the Live Messenger video description, and Charles saying that C9 questions were answered, it would maybe be an interesting idea to have a forum called(2 names suggested):

Interviews
    or
    Upcoming Interviews

This forum will only let the Channel 9 "admin" guys(Charles, etc) post a new thread, but all users can reply. We could thus use this forum to post questions we'd like asked for an interview coming up. Then at an appropriate time, the thread can be locked, as there are enough questions, or the interview is only week away.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

We've been toying with this idea for a bit.  It's a great suggestion.

I personally hope we have time to get this in the new Channel 9.

Using forums for this functionality is a good idea.  We may want to make the UI a bit more custom so it's more organized and easier for you and us to read through and maintain, but we'll see.

Thanks for the suggestion!  Put it on the list of "we're thinking about how to do it right".  Smiley

• User profile image
    Angus

Nice idea, I would really like that.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Harlequin wrote:
    Just looking at the Live Messenger video description, and Charles saying that C9 questions were answered, it would maybe be an interesting idea to have a forum called(2 names suggested):

Interviews
    or
    Upcoming Interviews

This forum will only let the Channel 9 "admin" guys(Charles, etc) post a new thread, but all users can reply. We could thus use this forum to post questions we'd like asked for an interview coming up. Then at an appropriate time, the thread can be locked, as there are enough questions, or the interview is only week away.

I already suggested this.

• User profile image
    figuerres

if this is already some where excuse me but:

a "poll" type thing where we can see what topics have been asked for and vote.

let users create polls in this area with some level of mod-checking so it's not abused.

example:

request new video with  xxxx on topic yyyy.

then others can give this a priority like  10 -- do it last week
    to 1 -- ok if you do it I might watch it.

and mods can lock it with (done, will do, not happening) status.

that is something I'd like to see.

• User profile image
    Chadk

We also suggested that charles took out a laptop with him when he's doing the interviews, and is on irc, where we can state questions.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Chadk wrote:
    We also suggested that charles took out a laptop with him when he's doing the interviews, and is on irc, where we can state questions.

That depends on the state of Microsoft's Wifi. If he's going off-campus that'll be difficult, unless he can count mobile phone data bills as a business expense.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Chadk wrote:

I wouldn't want to see him try and balance a $2000 camcorder and a $3000 laptop during these interviews... Cool

• User profile image
    mattcampbell

How could you  hold a camera, hold a notebook , and answer questions while  doing an interview?Perplexed

• User profile image
    sbc

mattcampbell wrote:
    How could you  hold a camera, hold a notebook , and answer questions while  doing an interview?

A Tablet PC with a built in bidirectional camera (not invented yet unfortunately). Imagine being able to both write and use a camera on the same piece of hardware.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

sbc wrote:

mattcampbell wrote: How could you  hold a camera, hold a notebook , and answer questions while  doing an interview?

A Tablet PC with a built in bidirectional camera (not invented yet unfortunately). Imagine being able to both write and use a camera on the same piece of hardware.

Almost like a webcam mounted on the end of the tablet that you could point at a person, then click a button and it would lock onto them, pointing the camera at them always as long as you were facing them.  That would rock!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

HumanCompiler wrote:
    Almost like a webcam mounted on the end of the tablet that you could point at a person, then click a button and it would lock onto them, pointing the camera at them always as long as you were facing them.  That would rock!

Better idea:

Attach a USB-powered webcam to the Tablet's USB port and use that.

But the image quality would suck unless it was a megapixel camera, but they've got issues with rapid camera movement.

Although, doesn't the camera allow itself to be connected directly to a computer and be recorded directly?

...but then you run into the "how to hold two two-handed things at once" problem.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

W3bbo wrote:

HumanCompiler wrote: Almost like a webcam mounted on the end of the tablet that you could point at a person, then click a button and it would lock onto them, pointing the camera at them always as long as you were facing them.  That would rock!

Better idea:

Attach a USB-powered webcam to the Tablet's USB port and use that.

But the image quality would suck unless it was a megapixel camera, but they've got issues with rapid camera movement.

Although, doesn't the camera allow itself to be connected directly to a computer and be recorded directly?

...but then you run into the "how to hold two two-handed things at once" problem.

Yah, that's what I meant.  That's why I said "webcam".  You know, the little USB things.  Yah, the quality sucks.  And what I was trying to say was to have it actually have servos to move around and point in different directions so once you pointed it at the person and said "lock", it would keep itself aimed at them as long as you generally faced them, no matter how you moved.  I'm talking like neat futuristic stuff, not something Charles could actually have and use anytime soon.  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    W3bbo

HumanCompiler wrote:
    it actually have servos to move around and point in different directions so once you pointed it at the person and said "lock", it would keep itself aimed at them as long as you generally faced them, no matter how you moved.  I'm talking like neat futuristic stuff, not something Charles could actually have and use anytime soon. 

It's not futuristic, it's real. Check out the Logitech QuickCam Sphere (or whatever it's called in the US)

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

W3bbo wrote:

HumanCompiler wrote: it actually have servos to move around and point in different directions so once you pointed it at the person and said "lock", it would keep itself aimed at them as long as you generally faced them, no matter how you moved.  I'm talking like neat futuristic stuff, not something Charles could actually have and use anytime soon. 

It's not futuristic, it's real. Check out the Logitech QuickCam Sphere (or whatever it's called in the US)

Ah, I hadn't seen that...nice!

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2204,CONTENTID=10628&ad=hpb_orbitmp

I'd say anything that's not mainstream is futuristic.  Wink

1.3 Megapixel isn't that great, but that's better than most webcams isn't it?  It's what my smartphone has in it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.