Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

LLTD Responder brings Vista Network Map to life!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    eddwo

I just installed the latest Vista build, and the new LLTP Responder service for XP on all the other machines on my network.
    Now the network map feature finally works, and it looks pretty cool too.

I would have said it was NeonLight that needed to go through two switches to reach the gateway and not Pavilion, but otherwise its got everything right.

Guess the Xbox 360 needs a dashboard update to add a similar service.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

That's good news, but I doubt that your gateway is a portable device. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Rossj

Now if you could persuade Microsoft to support Zeroconf instead of the 'anything but Simple Service Discovery Protocol', well that'd be cool.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Apple makes Bonjour available.  As for Microsoft supporting Zeroconf, good luck.  Will never happen.  Microsoft and standards are like oil and water

Rossj wrote:
    Now if you could persuade Microsoft to support Zeroconf instead of the 'anything but Simple Service Discovery Protocol', well that'd be cool.

• User profile image
    Rossj

RJ - Microsoft *do* follow some standards, but I think there is certainly a bias towards NIH. Which is sad, you know it is *just* possible that some software that is written outside of Redmond is actually usable and quite sensibly defined. Sort of like this MSN/Yahoo thing - this was never a technology issue but it is being made out to be leap in technology, regardless of the fact that most Jabber servers (another pet interest of mine) have supported cross-network IM for quite a while - Microsoft take on someone else's technology? Not a chance.

• User profile image
    eddwo

alwaysmc2 wrote:
    That's good news, but I doubt that your gateway is a portable device.

Well the gateway is a Netgear WGT634U which can take USB hard drives and act as a UPNP media server. So I guess it't being picked up by that.

• User profile image
    alwaysmc2

eddwo wrote:

alwaysmc2 wrote: That's good news, but I doubt that your gateway is a portable device.

Well the gateway is a Netgear WGT634U which can take USB hard drives and act as a UPNP media server. So I guess it't being picked up by that.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Big Smile

• User profile image
    jmacdonagh

Thanks for mentioning this! I installed the LLTP Responder onto three of my XP machines and the network map looks awesome!

• User profile image
    Angus

That is a really cool map feature, it is the sort of thing that makes me wish I had a more complex network. Tongue Out

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Angus wrote:
    That is a really cool map feature, it is the sort of thing that makes me wish I had a more complex network.

Yeah, the thing looks kinda sad with just my desktop (on Vista) and my laptop (on XP) on it. Smiley

Btw, the map shows a hub between my desktop and my laptop, but there isn't one, cause I'm using a crosslink cable. Can't it tell? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    SeBsZ

I don't know if this is a stupid question Perplexed, but where do I download the LLTD responder program for Windows XP? Tongue Out

I can't find it anywhere! [C]

Thanks.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It's on Connect, not sure if it's available anywhere else.

• User profile image
    SeBsZ

It's on Connect? I guess that means I can't get it. Anyone wanna get in contact with me sebs89 at msn dot c0m. Surely I'm allowed to test LLTD responder. Heck, I've tested Vista since the beginning.

Thanks, it really means a lot to me.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

rjdohnert wrote:
    As for Microsoft supporting Zeroconf, good luck.  Will never happen.  Microsoft and standards are like oil and water

You do realize what UPnP is, right?

• User profile image
    SeBsZ

So  I guess there is no way I can download the LLTD Responder application? Or is there other software for XP that would implement the LLTD protocol somehow?

Thanks!

• User profile image
    Rossj

PaoloM wrote:

rjdohnert wrote:As for Microsoft supporting Zeroconf, good luck.  Will never happen.  Microsoft and standards are like oil and water

You do realize what UPnP is, right?

An expired spec?

• User profile image
    bigonexeon

could you please help me with the LLTD responder service for xp i dont know where to get it i saw the picture and now dont know where to get it could you please help me

• User profile image
    bigonexeon

what article is it under at microsoft connect as im there now and cant find it as i have a msdn account a .net account is it possible to direct me in the right direction please

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.