Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why is there nothing new?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Me and my kids were sitting down watching "Mickey Mouse Club" (Like edition 10 or something) and it's a mixture of Blues Clues, Dora the Explorer, and a few other disney/nick shows focused for Children...and I told my wife it's annoying to watch a historical character becoming an imitating entitiy now and my wife said

"Oh there's nothing new left to do anymore"

This got me thinking....it's the same with the Internet now-a-days....for example...

Digg/ and it's clones
    Channel9/and it's clones
    And
    more

Why is that? Did we invent everything there is to? A friend of mine said his whole belief in Alien life was things like fiber optics, lasers, and more because we went from the happy 60's/70's to the 2000's without any stagger in technologies...do we need that again? Why hasn't anything really NEW been invented yet?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Why hasn't anything really NEW been invented yet?

No war driving invention.

• User profile image
    Sourcecode

Hallucinogenic drugs not as common, or lack thereof. Wink

Honestly, we are inventing everyday. Many more inventors, and less investment for research. I guess we just don’t notice them as much.

For example I just though of an idea last night for an interlocking block. Something totally new, low cost, light weight, and with a large weight threshold per cm2. Is it revolutionary? No Lego has interlocking blocks, been around for years. Would it be cool? Yes I think so. Would consumers? Maybe less. For example a child could build a small castle with them, or a fort. You could build a comfortable couch, chair, or even a dinning room table.

Anyway point being we are inventing, there is just so much happening, and so much information available that we can’t keep up, so most people miss allot of stuff that’s happening.

Just my 2cp

And yea, I’ll be working on the block idea (as time allows). At least a prototype.Big Smile

• User profile image
    Sabot

I don't agree !

I find there is so much innovation going on it's hard to keep up.

Pick up any tech mag (like WIRED for example, other tech mags are available) and you get overloaded with new ideas.

Looking a little closer to home at Microsoft and they have some many other technologies going on than the main stream stuff go blow your head open and have a look at it! Stuff like Sharepoint, CCF, Biztalk, Information Bridge Framework, start playing arounf with some of this stuff and your soon be going wooooow again.

• User profile image
    Angus

I think W3bbo created a similar thread, but even after about 1 hour searching for it (yes, I am dedicated to Channel 9) I couldn't find it. I think there are always things that can be made new or better, but it becomes harder to get the original idea as time goes on.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Angus wrote:
    I think there are always things that can be made new or better, but it becomes harder to get the original idea as time goes on.

I think that is the point that I was trying to make...everything seems to have branched from something...for example...Flickr has been out for awhile, has a huge base...however Zoomer is getting looks (aprox $5 mln).  Having said that with Photo, Video it seems the clones are poping up and just change one thing (tagging) and they're t3h hawtness all over again...with $$$ backing them...however if you invent something new, like Riya then there is limited interest.

I think maybe everyone is spinning the wheels trying to build off of what already is a winner, and holding back innovation?

• User profile image
    BryanF

First, I'd second Sabot's point: there's a ton of great discoveries being made across the world, and many of those are on about ready to enter the mainstream and potentially change the world in significant ways. A lot of what you're describing may be a perception problem. If you zoom in close enough to the path of an arc, it looks like a straight line; similarly, it's hard to comprehend the true impact of change when you're right in the middle of it.

That said, I can appreciate that it's becoming more difficult for society to fully embrace the consequences of new technology much of that difficulty, I think, could be understood in terms of managing complexity and change. Paradoxically, as we become more technologically driven it becomes harder to embrace new innovations that dispace old ones.

For instance, it has often been suggested that Microsoft scrape the Windows code base and start anew, freeing themselves from decades of design decisions. This has proven unrealistic, however, because it necessitates neglecting billions, if not trillions, of dollars of software investments. Instead, Microsoft has opted for a gradual path, evolving the system in chunks the rest of the industry can growth with. (In Vista, the big leap seems to be UAC.) In the future, virtual machine may provide a better answer, but there's a challenge in integrating them in a way that's truely seamless.

You could make a similar case around electric and hydrogen-based vehicles. It's not simply a matter of building them and doing so in a cost-effective manner. You also have to fit any solution into the vast ammounts of infrastructure (e.g., fuel stations) that exist for gas-driven vehicles. The solution the industry is coming to is hybrids, which as the name implies is a stepping stone towards a longer term goal.

• User profile image
    jsampsonPC

Angus wrote:
    I think W3bbo created a similar thread...

So, you're saying that not even this thread is "New"? Smiley

• User profile image
    andokai

I also disagree. Every new popular idea will have clones, but that doesn't mean that innovation has lessened. I mean in the not too distant future we're going to see WPF apps on the web which will unlock a whole new range of ideas and opportunities. Technology is the driving force of innovation and to a large degree we've been stuck with the same platform on the web for a considerable amount of time. Look at the whole Web 2.0 thing which came about because of AJAX. With WPF and no doubt similar offerings from rivals we should see another glut of new and interesting ideas on the web. Well at leat I hope so otherwise we all better change careers. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

There is a fundamental problem.

Innovation is there but it goes very very slowly, and one of the most important reasons for that is the lack of money spent on innovation.
    Most companies don't have the resources for doing some truly great innovation.
    And there is little or no government support, all their money goes to war...

Think about it, we could have explored far more of our universe long ago if only the NASA would get a bigger budget.  That's just one of the hundreds of examples that I can think of.

Even my parents are ashamed to live in this world, where none of the innovations that were promised back when they were young have been realised !!!
    And we must admit that they are right...  the evolution of technology goes unbelievably SLOW nowadays, it's very sad. Sad

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

We should separate out new science and refinement of old science.  Much of what we are getting in the way of new technology today is either refininement of decades old ideas or simple repackaging.

This isn't a bad thing, but it's hardly new technology.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.